Why is jail breaking necessary?
(2016-02-12, 16:40)ironic_monkey Wrote: that i'm free to eat MY chicken.

Nothing prevents you from sideloading your chicken and enjoying it.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
Mmmm... chicken... nom, nom, nom...
Install Kodi on iOS without a jailbreak: iOS App Signer — donations are gratefully accepted
Thanks for the info about sideloading. Interesting, but unfortunately very complicated for 'average' users, and near impossible for non Mac users. Good to know though.

(2016-02-11, 16:31)ironic_monkey Wrote: because pretty much the only thing vlc in the app store has in common with vlc is the name. almost everything else had to be dropped to satisfy the overlords.
just like 'firefox' for ios. no gecko, no spidermonkey, no xul. just another lame webkit wrapper.

a kodi in the app store would just be a hollow shell with the name attached. no addons, no skins. no freedom.

Ah... it's like that huh? I wondered why Firefox pulled out of iOS.

(2016-02-12, 16:19)MrMC Wrote:
(2016-02-12, 10:54)ironic_monkey Wrote: and your point is? you're not free to do as you want, you do as you are told.

I'm not free to eat my neighbors chickens either, what's your point ?

Freedom is an illusion, no one is truly free to do as they please. Part of belonging to a well rounded Society. Sure, some rules might be silly and can make no sense but those silly rules might be offset by some greater good. Life itself is nothing but a series of compromises.

There are some truly bad people out there. They feels the rules of Society do not apply to them and do as they please, take what they want and destroy what they do not want. This includes computer hacking as well as murder. I'd rather have product from a company that makes a serious attempt at keeping such people out of my life. If this means following their other 'rules', so be it. I'll take that compromise, no question.

Costs/benefit i guess. I personally cannot tolerate the level of restrictiveness in iDevices, but plenty of others can and do. Although this restriction is toted as a security measure, there are still significant threats from other avenues such as exploits, zero days, code weaknesses/vulnerabilities, backdoors etc. And apparently non genuine screens according to Apple apparently.

When you really get down to it it's ultimately an issue of trust. Who do you trust and why... Apple, Microsoft, Google, Linux, Open Source in general... or perhaps only your pre digital era 1950's type writer?

As for me, i'm trusting your neighbors chickens taste as good as i have been imagining they do while writing this! What's your neighbors address... i might drop by and find out! Lol.
Hahah, nothing is 100 percent secure. But I think the methods they use are much better than others.
(2016-02-11, 19:01)MrMC Wrote: Users installed addons will return at some time, BUT not via python but via javascript.

Out of curiosity, what's the point of scratching python and re-inventing the wheel in javascript?
Is javascript ok in store while python isn't? Just to get rid of the existing stinking python addons? Other?
A few reasons;

The existing python addons are a cesspool of bad behavior. Zero control, threading is a nightmare, the list goes on. It just needs to die. Sometimes, you must purge. So if starting from scratch, why not pick something nicer than python and something that you don't have to build from scratch and has a 1/2 chance of existing native on a majority of desired platforms.

Apple officially blesses the use of javascript, even when loaded from some external source. Javascript also handles independent scripts running nicely. They each get their own VM and there is no crosstalk. If some script misbehaves, nuke the VM and move on. Not possible with the existing python mess.
(2016-02-14, 22:29)MrMC Wrote: A few reasons;

The existing python addons are a cesspool of bad behavior. Zero control, threading is a nightmare, the list goes on. It just needs to die. Sometimes, you must purge. So if starting from scratch, why not pick something nicer than python and something that you don't have to build from scratch and has a 1/2 chance of existing native on a majority of desired platforms.

Apple officially blesses the use of javascript, even when loaded from some external source. Javascript also handles independent scripts running nicely. They each get their own VM and there is no crosstalk. If some script misbehaves, nuke the VM and move on. Not possible with the existing python mess.

This makes perfect sense, hopefully Kodi can incorporate this add-on system to avoid fragmenting the add-on developers.

I know Kodi and MrMC are (technically) completely different but I still hope that this will be the case...
Install Kodi on iOS without a jailbreak: iOS App Signer — donations are gratefully accepted
windows will be a problem...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Well, afaik, there is no system-wide Javascript machine on any platform, beside ios /osx, apparently...
(2016-02-15, 08:49)Koying Wrote: Well, afaik, there is no system-wide Javascript machine on any platform, beside ios /osx, apparently...

its not native but perhaps something like Chrome V8 could be implemented?

That way you could expose the objects needed to interact with Kodi while still in theory being able to support the iOS way of handling it
Not saying at all it's not possible, just saying that's not an argument to switch, as we'll have to build/drag a vm as much as for python, if I'm correct.
I'm sure the magic cmake machine can whip up a javascript VM build in no time Smile
Lots of learning, but with this XCode 7. I don't understand that Google Play store has full Kodi Smile with all add-ons works including *****.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...kodi&hl=en

Why MrMC don't allow any add-ons installation.
re-read post #21
And stop talking about banned add-ons (wiki).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why is jail breaking necessary?0