Linux Blank screen when switching of/off full screen
Yeah - this only "workarounds" your issue, by not switching at all ... add: xrandr -r 50 to your autostart before the kodi line.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I set refresh rate to 50 but then when I turn this option on (doesn't matter if "always" or "on start") the issue still occur.
Also tested different values from 30 to 60, no differences.

EDIT:
BTW - I have updated ffmpeg to 2.8. Seems to be installed fine, when I run ffmepg -version I get:

ffmpeg version 2.8.1-1~wily1 Copyright © 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers

However when I then open kodi in its log I still see:

18:22:51 T:140187670423680 NOTICE: FFmpeg statically linked, version: 2.7.git-kodi-master-kodi

How can I force Kodi to use newly installed 2.8?
Nope - keep that option "off". Your LiveTV content is most likely 50i content - therefore it is best watched at 50p ... so you can change before starting kodi.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Sorry but I do not understand now: you suggested that keeping it "off" is only workaround, not final solution but now you rather suggest to leave it off, right?
I only add that issue occurs on every type of video content: blue-ray, mkv 1080p and pvr live tv.
I try again:

LiveTV is played at 50hz. To have best experience with it - switch to 50 hz before you start kodi and keep that other setting off for now.
It won't be too great for Blurays, as their 23.976/24 fps don't nicely fit into 50 hz, but Sync Playback to Display can enhance that situation.

It's a compromise workaround for that issue.

Now clear?
Yes, sir!

Just wonder about option Sync Playback to Display - as I read somewhere this option should be disabled when I use passthrough (and I use what was the goal of installing kodi on linux Smile Is it some how in contradiction?
Still wondering why issue does not occur during first, fresh opening of kodi...
Yeah - don't use passthrough. Especially not if you cannot switch to the proper refreshrates. Until this issue is fixed for you - I would highly suggest to display passthrough but use Sync Playback to Display and PCM audio.
Once again - thanks! I'll be waiting.

To summary - do I understand correctly: Kodi automatically recognize the source material and adjust refresh rate on video start. However it should be done smoothly. Question: do you think in my case it's not only smooth change or the refresh rate is not changed at all? Is there any way to check the refresh rate? In log I see only "framerate". I'm still thinking if can use audio passthrough during first opening of Kodi and would like to check if frame rate is proper then.
Has it any sense? Wink
/usr/lib/kodi/kodi-xrandr tells the refreshrate that is currently in use.
I read this thread with great interest! Smile

@fritsch, you raised a couple of interesting points you could perhaps clarify further for me ... and others who've been struggling with some of these video settings Smile :
- I noticed I always get into all sorts of interesting issues when I have both 'Sync Playback to Display' and 'Adjust Refreshrate to match Video' enabled ... sort of makes sense to me that you should not have both enabled as one is trying to match the video frame rate to your display refresh and the other is trying to match the display refresh to your video frame rate (the opposite?), but these are the recommended settings?
- When you say 'Passthrough' I immediately assume you're referring to audio pass-through (so the audio decoding is performed by the AVR or whatever you've specified as the 'output' in Kodi's Audio settings). So it seems in your discussions in this thread that perhaps audio pass-through is somehow linked to video refresh rate. Do you have a recommended matrix of 'valid' combinations for what video settings should be used with what audio settings and which are 'neutral' (independent of each other)? Is this documented somewhere perhaps? This is one consideration I've not accounted for and may explain a lot to many Smile ... as I've always thought these AV functionalities were separate ... is it because of the common ffmpeg AV framework which presents some dependencies?

No sweat if you can't respond, I understand the answers might be too convoluted for a 'short' reply and I know you're a busy developer ... I was just quite intrigued so thought I'd ask anyway Smile !

Best regards
Quote:- I noticed I always get into all sorts of interesting issues when I have both 'Sync Playback to Display' and 'Adjust Refreshrate to match Video' enabled ... sort of makes sense to me that you should not have both enabled as one is trying to match the video frame rate to your display refresh and the other is trying to match the display refresh to your video frame rate (the opposite?), but these are the recommended settings?

Fully wrong! In most cases those make only sense together. Those two settings are recommended to a) switch to the best matching refreshrate to match the video, e.g. 50 hz for a 50 fps video or 23.976 hz for a 23.976 fps movie or 50 hz for a 50i movie b) Sync Playback will display the frames in sync with the "Video Clock", whenever a buffer is swapped the next image is displayed smoothly in sync, no tearing, perfect video, as the video clock might be faster / slower than the related audio clock, audio needs to be adjusted, e.g. a tiny bit resampled now and then, nothing you would hear. Therefore the second setting (b) makes no sense when using Passthrough audio, as this cannot be touched. Passthrough people, that like their AVR lights to show their money and unbelievable wisdom should use (a) only.

This also answers your passthrough question.
Well, after some blind test with 4 other people I cannot agree passthrough is for showing your money to the world Wink
All of them said the sound is better when using audio passthrough - no one knew which audio is played every time. The sound was - let's say - richer.
HOWEVER when use passthrough my AVR does not allow me to make any adjustment of the sound. When use PCM I can manually adjust bass, treble etc. So maybe just auto regulation works better than me Smile Also it might depends on kind of AVR and columns you use...

BTW - can you please advise in this:

(2015-11-09, 18:33)lugas Wrote: BTW - I have updated ffmpeg to 2.8. Seems to be installed fine, when I run ffmepg -version I get:

18:22:51 T:140187670423680 NOTICE: FFmpeg statically linked, version: 2.7.git-kodi-master-kodi

We don't install ffmpeg - we link statically. It's most likely, cause of: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/blob...EG-VERSION fernet uses his branch and not a tagged version - so all fine. Just a false positive.

Yeah the AVR does special things when it receives passthrough audio. Some weighting here and there - changes volume and so on. Sync wise it's a nightmare, though.
(2015-11-10, 11:04)lugas Wrote: Well, after some blind test with 4 other people I cannot agree passthrough is for showing your money to the world Wink
All of them said the sound is better when using audio passthrough - no one knew which audio is played every time. The sound was - let's say - richer.
HOWEVER when use passthrough my AVR does not allow me to make any adjustment of the sound. When use PCM I can manually adjust bass, treble etc. So maybe just auto regulation works better than me Smile Also it might depends on kind of AVR and columns you use...

BTW - can you please advise in this:

(2015-11-09, 18:33)lugas Wrote: BTW - I have updated ffmpeg to 2.8. Seems to be installed fine, when I run ffmepg -version I get:

If you notice that your AVR is kind of crap. kodi outputs unmodified pcm. to all who do not know: pcm is digital and the process of decoding can't be done in different qualities. The bottom line is that the probability of having untouched audio is higher when using non passthrough because many AVR doing modifications to audio.
If the decoder is lossless, which it is. Since upcoming v16 - we can even decode DTS-HD Master Audio. Btw. we also have DSP Audio integrated, that you can use to make the Audio sound like in church or something :-) - if you like what your AVR is doing. And again: What the AVR does is not _in the data_ but hower it is okay if you _like_ what the AVR does. If you can alter that yourself with the named possiblities it's a win, win for you. Perfect Video with fully syncable sound in high quality.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blank screen when switching of/off full screen0