Choosing the right device: TV/PVR/Plex
(2015-11-29, 21:51)WillStewart Wrote: Is it plausible to consider the following;

- RPi2
- Kodi
- TVHeadEnd (or other PVR?) connected to HDHomerun Connect
- Openelec (or OSMC)

Most scenarios would only have one 1080i recording or playback going at one time, but there will undoubtedly be those times when both are active at one time.

Would an RPi2 have sufficient CPU throughput (overclocked a given)?
I would have a good read of the HDHomeRun Live TV Add-on sub forum found here to see what works with Kodi first:

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=87

(2015-11-29, 22:04)wrxtasy Wrote: I would have a good read of the HDHomeRun Live TV Add-on sub forum found here to see what works with Kodi first:

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=87

Thanks wrxtasy, I had noticed that "This addon, as of right now, implements live TV only without any recording features." As such, I've not included it in my candidate list for recorders. The family will for the foreseeable future use the TV in the family for live TV viewing.

Rather new to Kodi, so my simple Win7 Kodi/NextPVR on a Dell Mini 10 is chugging along (never quite conquered Mythbuntu, but some said I should keep trying for a few months), though I still have a few things to learn. It can only serve anything over 480 via DLNA, so it's usefulness is somewhat limited.

I'm setting up a media portal in the exercise room, and if all goes well, I'll transition all of the main responsibilities (ATSC capture, recording, DLNA) to the RPi2, if it can carry the load.

The wife is now asking "Can I watch Netflix on it too?" (and she would settle for low resolution in the exercise room). I don't see a browser on Openelec or OSMC, but did find this tutorial that says it can be done, though assumes there is a Win machine as a dependency.
For further help you will need to list:

- Where is the world you are ?
- What usb Tuner Hardware do you currently have ?
- What Digital Transmission standard, DVB-T/T2, DVB-S etc ?
- Do you actually have a RPi2 yet? As there are better cheap TvHeadend server options
- Do you want an all in one box for Netflix, Kodi, TV Viewing etc ?

For a Wife friendly Netflix device just get a cheap as Amazon FireTV Stick, providing you have decent WiFi in the house. The RPi2 cannot do Netflix at all and browser based solution are a lot of stuffing about and painful to setup if you want remote control. Not recommended at all.

To your questions,

- US
- HDHomeRun Connect
- ATSC
- Have ordered one, but can use it for a variety of things (home automation, etc)
- At least would like to be able to view Kodi and Netflix. Recording via HDHomeRun/PVR would be a great all-in-one box target

I have a 24" monitor I was planning to use, and I believe Amazon Fire TV stick can use that.

Ok, I'm now taking a harder look at Kodi's Fire/Roku/Chromecast options, thanks wrxtasy for bringing these to the forefront.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Choosing the right device: TV/PVR/Plex0