Looking for advice on player replacement
Well one that I know that doesn't work on rooted devices is Flixster.

Once you root you can still run the app but you can't play videos.

But if we're talking theoretical, you wouldn't need to root nor replace the launcher. All you would need to an app that could combine something similar to what Llama does with an app like TVHz. So that a trigger event (like launching Netflix) would cause a change in the frame rate setting.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-11-12, 16:42)Cincinnatus Wrote:
(2015-11-12, 10:54)jsahlen Wrote:
  • NVIDIA Shield Android TV (seems nice, but I'm not sure how the main OS/UI works if you're not into NVIDIA's eco-system at all…? Can the default launcher be replaced?)
I think you might find some interesting things on the XDA Shield TV Forum. If my experience tells me anything, it's that there will no doubt be a way to change the launcher, if there already isn't. I seem to recall having read that they already can root the device and install a custom recovery (TWRP) so that, in and of itself, may open the door to aftermarket launchers. However, because the machine ships as an LP system, chances are you can customize the 'desktop' the same way we do on the phone. I can't comment on this intelligently because my unit is presently inbound (arriving tomorrow), so take my comments with a grain of salt.

BTW, there's a $50 off promotion via the Nvidia store that nets the unit down to $150(+tax) shipped. It expires on 11/25/15, so if you're going in this direction, you might want to get in on it now.

Good luck!

How to get ones hands on such a promotion?
You need to sign up for the Nvidia Newsletter.

ManuelG has stated that they have run out of promo codes, however, they may be sending more out in the future.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...9/#4718559
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
OK. Thanks. I have just now signed up for the newsletter. Fingers crossed I will receive a promo code.
(2015-11-12, 22:54)Tinwarble Wrote: Well one that I know that doesn't work on rooted devices is Flixster.

But if we're talking theoretical, you wouldn't need to root nor replace the launcher. All you would need to an app that could combine something similar to what Llama does with an app like TVHz. So that a trigger event (like launching Netflix) would cause a change in the frame rate setting.
Another two Android DRM Apps that fail are Stan, and I believe HBOGo once a device is rooted.

Seems some are pretty happy with the HALauncher....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...ostcount=6

Thanks for your input everyone. I decided on ordering the Braswell motherboard – leaves me more room for tinkering and will give me a nice Kodi-focused box. The Shield does seem awfully nice though.
(2015-11-13, 04:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2015-11-12, 22:54)Tinwarble Wrote: Well one that I know that doesn't work on rooted devices is Flixster.

Another two Android DRM Apps that fail are Stan, and I believe HBOGo once a device is rooted.

Seems some are pretty happy with the HALauncher....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost...ostcount=6

Is there an RUU (Rom Update Utility) that we can download to restore the Shield to stock unlocked, should I find that a mod or rooting isn't working out for me? I'm big on privacy and intend to root, install Xposed and Xprivacy to keep my private stuff... private. But if that stands in the way of other things I want to do with the box, and decide to revert, is it possible to do so?
False alarm. Smile I ordered the computer parts, but they weren't in stock, so I actually went out and bought an SATV. Figured I could play with it over the weekend and return it if I didn't like it. I really did though, so I'm gonna cancel the hardware order. Kodi is working brilliantly (except for VC-1 playback, gonna check into the general thread about that), and streaming games from my PC worked a lot better out of the box than my previous tries with Steam have done. Found Tinwarble's posts about configuring Harmony Smart Hub for it, too, so now I have the same controls set up as I had with FLIRC before.
Glad you like the SATV.

What Kodi version are you running? There was a fix for VC-1 in the nightlies, but not knowing what issue you're having I can't say whether it fix what you're seeing.
(2015-11-14, 23:19)Tinwarble Wrote: Glad you like the SATV.

What Kodi version are you running? There was a fix for VC-1 in the nightlies, but not knowing what issue you're having I can't say whether it fix what you're seeing.
Yup! It was fixed in the latest alphas - awesome.
Not sure if its transferable but I have a promo code for the Shield ( $50 off promo till Nov 19.)that I wont be using.

After converting to CDN$ it costs about the same if I bought it local retail - stupid shrinking CDN $.
pm me if interested

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for advice on player replacement0