• 8(current)
Android HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)
Nice to have these quick firmware updates, but they're too quick, rushed... mirror88, I'd suggest going back to the beta test group releases, have them vetted, then release out to general public.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-12-24, 14:10)mirror88 Wrote: v1.0.27:
1. Add switch on/off for Ethernet on system settings
2. Add subtitle、audoi track、stop shortcut function on native palyer
3. Increase the speed for accessing the network clock, after connecting internet
4. Support ISO9660 file system, support DVD reader
5. Improve the sync for audio and video of audio passthrough for system level
6.Fix the decoder, and wrote lots of logs to /data/dec_out.h264(Thanks for dimtris and frednn's feedback)

OTA zip file
v1.0.27 version
Mediafire mirror:http://www.mediafire.com/download/bhtfsj3projto37/ZIDOO_X6_Pro_v1.0.27_ota.zip
Amazon mirror: http://ota-cloudfront.zidoo.tv/zidoo_x6/...27_ota.zip

MD5:BC381B3D265F67C173DE8FF33D0022C3

Clean_dec_out_h264.apk:
Mediafire mirror:http://www.mediafire.com/download/8kv1ijl14mxlw40/clean_dec_out_h264.apk
Amazon mirror: http://ota-cloudfront.zidoo.tv/zidoo_x6/...t_h264.apk

How to upgrade: http://blog.zidoo.tv/2015/02/how-to-upgr...-firmware/

3D ISO's are playing in 2D mode for me. Chose 'Play with 3D mode' from the simplified pop-up Kodi menu that comes up. No audio at all with 'Avengers Ultron' 3D ISO. Fixed (AVR was issue); see post #118 below. Also, when I played another random ISO... 'Ruin (2011)' 3D, even in 2D mode (as 3D didn't work as I mentioned), PQ stuttered.

I'm getting pretty close to giving up on both Zidoo X6 and HiMedia H8... wasted too much time on these RK3368 boxes already. Partially each manufacturer's fault, but largely Rockchip's fault I think. They've been piss poor quality for home theater use. I'd bet on AMLogic instead. May only be half-rez for MVC 3D, but at least should work, and with proper 23.976. HD audio is also expected. But, for full 3D experience w/hd audio and proper FPS, just get a Raspberry Pi2 or HiMedia Q5 or Q10.
My HT
(2015-12-25, 00:36)hdmkv Wrote: 3D ISO's are playing in 2D mode for me. Chose 'Play with 3D mode' from the simplified pop-up Kodi menu that comes up. No audio at all with 'Avengers Ultron' 3D ISO. Also, when I played another random ISO... 'Ruin (2011)' 3D, even in 2D mode (as 3D didn't work as I mentioned), PQ stuttered.

I'm getting pretty close to giving up on both Zidoo X6 and HiMedia H8... wasted too much time on these RK3368 boxes already. Partially each manufacturer's fault, but largely Rockchip's fault I think. They've been piss poor quality for home theater use. I'd bet on AMLogic instead. May only be half-rez for MVC 3D, but at least should work, and with proper 23.976. HD audio is also expected. But, for full 3D experience w/hd audio and proper FPS, just get a Raspberry Pi2 or HiMedia Q5 or Q10.

Maybe you must check your PJ or TV's setting,We tested a lot of PJ and TV.The 3D framepacking was working perfect!
Play with 3D Mode works without any issues on my BenQ PJ, the only issue I am having is that Audio doesn't start on some movies.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
Okay, will try again. Maybe do a full reset of box first.
Fixed (AVR was issue); see post #118 below.
My HT
I just got the Himedia H8 and I've read the whole thread.

I updated to latest version (HMD-1.0.7 2015-11-10.142431) via USB and then did a hard reset.

Problems:
1. The media player doesnt show subtitles even thought the information shows it being selected. (Kodi shows subtitles just fine).

2. I am unable to update KODI via play store. Mine is on 15.2 RC. I looked at the source code you guys provided for Kodi 15.2 but I have no idea on how to install it.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

EDIT: Found the APK on the official himedia forum: http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=382.0
1. Make sure you find the most recent version on bottom of the first post.
2. Doesn't say how to install it but I believe I only need to double click it. Thanks.
(2015-12-27, 19:57)gambitz Wrote: I just got the Himedia H8 and I've read the whole thread.

I updated to latest version (HMD-1.0.7 2015-11-10.142431) via USB and then did a hard reset.

Problems:
1. The media player doesnt show subtitles even thought the information shows it being selected. (Kodi shows subtitles just fine).

2. I am unable to update KODI via play store. Mine is on 15.2 RC. I looked at the source code you guys provided for Kodi 15.2 but I have no idea on how to install it.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

EDIT: Found the APK on the official himedia forum: http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=382.0
1. Make sure you find the most recent version on bottom of the first post.
2. Doesn't say how to install it but I believe I only need to double click it. Thanks.

That version is not the one made for Himedia (tread also tells so, it´s for a Zidoo X6) and it´s not working better the the one that is in the official Himedia wich is realy crappy.

If you read this tread you also will see that Kodi on the Himedia are a modified one so if you want the best result you have to use the external mediaplayer (that also suck for many users but not all).

Right now you can only one thing, wait for the up-comming firmware from Himedia, Futeko say that it will be ready before New Year, this firmware should fix the problems (but they also said that in November).

If the up-comming firmware don´t fix the problems my advice will be return it asap, firmware support have been realy slow and not very good (they are probably working on a new box and don´t use time on fixing the boxes they all ready have sold, if that isn´t the case the just don´t give a shit) this box should never have been sold, it´s a alpha/beta product said in a optimistic way.
Looks like you are correct. My vobsubs doesn't work even thought kodi detected it but showing nothing. SRT works but i want vobsubs.
If nothing has been updated in few days I'll return the 2 h8 boxes I bought. The developers should be aware that they are losing money and audience if they abandon this product to focus on new ones.
I've stopped buying several brands due to their abandonment on few solid products and I've advised people against these companies. So, please wake up and listen to customers.
Futeko have just comfirmed that there will not be a new firmware before new year and now say that Himedia will not come with small fixes but only a full firmware when errors are fixed.

There are no info about when they then expect the new firmware but my guess is that it will arrive two days after Zidoo have a fully working firmware for the X6 as last time Himedia came with a fix.

The Q5 could be a good solution but Nogging say some wise words in this tread on page 41 http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=207730&page=41 that is good to think about for the future.

"But doesn't a wrapper around a non-Kodi player (particularly if that player is closed source) mean that you are at the mercy of HiMedia for Kodi updates. If they get bored or decide to concentrate on newer updates you don't have the option of installing your own Kodi builds (or those built by supporters of the platform)?

That's always my concern when closed source external player solutions are suggested, particularly as it goes against the whole point of Kodi and the Open Source movement. "

My advice, Return asap and buy an other box (other brand) before it´s to late.
Did a full factory reset on my Zidoo X6, and 3D ISO's are still playing in 2D mode, via Epson 5025UB. Also, no audio with some rips (like 'Avengers Ultron'). Denon AVR is in between as it has always been, so I don't know what changed since firmware v1.0.25, which I last had on this box. HiMedia Q5 and H8 play in 3D w/this AVR in between. Anyway, will try directly connecting to Epson, and if it still doesn't work, another 3D display. Fixed (AVR was issue); see post #118 below.

Edit: I see there's already a v1.0.28 out for X8. Zidoo are releasing these firmwares too hastily IMHO. Think some quality control is needed, and again, rely on closed beta test group that's already there.
My HT
(2015-12-30, 18:22)hdmkv Wrote: Did a full factory reset on my Zidoo X6, and 3D ISO's are still playing in 2D mode, via Epson 5025UB. Also, no audio with some rips (like 'Avengers Ultron'). Denon AVR is in between as it has always been, so I don't know what changed since firmware v1.0.25, which I last had on this box. HiMedia Q5 and H8 play in 3D w/this AVR in between. Anyway, will try directly connecting to Epson, and if it still doesn't work, another 3D display.

Edit: I see there's already a v1.0.28 out for X8. Zidoo are releasing these firmwares too hastily IMHO. Think some quality control is needed, and again, rely on closed beta test group that's already there.

X6 will be judge the supports 3D model via hdmi edid,maybe something wrong on some AVR device,maybe wecan add a force 3D output option,you can try directly connecting to Epson first
I am on version 1.0.27 is for some reason the 3D depth looks bad compare to the Raspberry Pi2 and VidOn Box....

1-Audio out sync still not fixed
2-Audio doesn't start when movie start is still not fixed

There is being a few version updates and the problem that was reported since day one still not fixed..
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2015-12-30, 18:43)mirror88 Wrote: X6 will be judge the supports 3D model via hdmi edid,maybe something wrong on some AVR device,maybe wecan add a force 3D output option,you can try directly connecting to Epson first
Yep, figured out the issue... my AVR had defaulted back to video processing mode after I did a firmware update on it. Dunno why manufacturers seem to not have 'through' as default. Set it back to 'through' and everything is fine again.

3D ISO's do indeed play on X6, and I now even get audio w/'Avengers Ultron' 3D and macroblocking isn't as bad on 'Avatar' 3D, but...
  • Almost every ISO, MKV, whatever format videos have audio synch issues
  • Macroblocking is still there and freeze, jumpy resume on some 3D ISO's
  • No 23.976 (although I can almost live w/o this if above two issues weren't there)
Maybe I'm passing judgment too quickly, but maybe Zidoo should focus on their AML S905 product instead, use Koying's MVC hack and be done w/it. I don't have confidence in Rockchip. HiMedia, on the other hand, is working on a successor to Q5 utilizing the HISILICON 3798CV200 chipset. They've asked some of us for opinions, so will ask in HiMedia Q5 thread, consolidate and send to them anything we may have missed.
My HT
"Maybe I'm passing judgment too quickly, but maybe Zidoo should focus on their AML S905 product instead, use Koying's MVC hack and be done w/it. I don't have confidence in Rockchip. HiMedia, on the other hand, is working on a successor to Q5 utilizing the HISILICON 3798CV200 chipset. They've asked some of us for opinions, so will ask in HiMedia Q5 thread, consolidate and send to them anything we may have missed. "

So what you say is that you recomend them to ignore all the customers who have bought the X6 and in the same time probably think Himedia should do the same with the H8 since you talk about the succesor to the Q5, you do know that there are people that actually pay and have paid for there X6 and H8 and not getting them for free as you did.

Are you realy that hungry for a new free player that you think that it is okay to piss on the paying customers ?? Really ??

What they should is give all focus on the existing problems instead of working on many projects at the same time, people are alike and chose the most fun project every time so the problem kids the have a tendensy to ignore.

Serious compagnies solve problems first and then start new projects and in my eyes serious reviewers should put pressure on the compagnies and not say that the should ignore the existing customers, we are talking two relative new products and not a half old product like the Q5 wich still have problems.

How can the reviews be trusted if the reviewer are the compagnies person and not the customers person ?? That is bad karma Confused
C'mon Kilroy, I bought my Q5 and several other boxes. And, for boxes I do get for reviews, I spend plenty of time and energy (and often waste time) reviewing them for all Kodi users' benefit. I don't give them automatic glowing reviews and kiss a**. If you bought because of my 'C' grades for either box, then don't blame me. I stand by my reviews/grades for both those in post #1 of this thread.

And, I'm not suggesting HiMedia or Zidoo ignore their existing customers, but everyone who bought X6 and/or H8 did so on their own volition, maybe beLIEving all the marketing hype. I hope Zidoo and HiMedia continue trying to improve the X6 and H8 respectively, but they can only do so much w/this chip. All I'm saying is, based on Rockchip's past, I don't have much confidence in how much either Zidoo or HiMedia can really do in putting lipstick on this pig. I'd love to be proven wrong, for a Rockchip box to be shown a true home theater contender.
My HT
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia H8 Octa & Zidoo X6 Pro: Comparative Review (RK3368 / 3D / HD Audio)3