Main10 - 10-bit HEVC
Looks like the first signs of prepping FFMPEG for 10bit decode appeared last week:
https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-deve...86704.html
HEVC Main10 works on my system with i5 5675C, GTX950 and Win10 only in software, no DXVA.

I tested various Kodi Version since 16Beta3 and various nvidia drivers. On LAV-Filters HEVC Main10 works perfect with DXVA.
Obviously, that's the whole discussion. Software only in Kodi 15 & the final 16 version, will probably be done for v17 (or maybe v18) depeding on ffmpeg progress & the amount of time Kodi Devs have to code it.

Lav Filters aren't based off ffmpeg, they have had HVEC Main 10 DXVA support for a couple of months.
@Michig20
LAV uses it's own ffmpeg branch with it's own patches. Currently the ffmpeg has no code for hevc main10 with dxva which LAV has. Kodi devs try not to use a lot of patches for ffmpeg and use upstram branch as much as possible. When the ffmpeg will have those patches Kodi will also support hevc mail10 with dxva. All required changes for Kodi codebase already developed and only support in ffmpeg is required.
3 user in this thread have succcess with dxva on Kodi 16 and hevc main10
Hevc Main10 works just fine with this custom test build: "KodiSetup-20151120-08ecca5-dxva_hevc_10b.exe". It's a shame that it's no longer available from the downloads.
So it's obviously possible, but the Devs wants to keep the ffmpeg "clean"..

But it would be nice to get a custom build of the official Kodi 16 with dxva_hevc_10b support. I don't think I will update my custom build with something without the hevc support.
Well, the bigger issue was that the feature was proposed after "feature freeze" for Jarvis. Even if the ffmpeg patch was acceptable, it is unlikely it would have been added because it was a new feature. By the time v17 comes out, ffmpeg will likely have that code (or equivalent), which removes the need for a Kodi-specific patch.
(2015-11-25, 10:04)afedchin Wrote:
(2015-11-24, 15:30)Uukrul Wrote: Thanks for the detailed explanation.
A little additional: The reason of the issue is a limitation of Feature Level 9.x which is used on Windows7 by Kodi to properly use Video API for decoding. Supporting 16bit textures (are required for decoder) is optional for the FL9.x. On Windows 10/8.1/8 Kodi can use FL11.x which has no this limitation.

Does this mean we will never see HEVC Main 10 hardware decode on Windows 7 because we are stuck at FL9.x on Win 7?
(2016-08-27, 08:40)terryy Wrote: Does this mean we will never see HEVC Main 10 hardware decode on Windows 7 because we are stuck at FL9.x on Win 7?
This means that you will never see HEVC Main 10 hw decoding on win7 till GPU vendors add support of 16bit textures in drivers for FL9.x

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Main10 - 10-bit HEVC1