Kodi 14.2 on Linux Mint
I've tried Kodi 15.1 on Linux Mint 17, because it was the only Kodi version I could get to install. The Wiki gives instructions, but only to install the latest build. I really want to use 14.2, but after enabling ppa's and updating, there is no 14.2 available. Is there a way to install it using Synaptic or the Software Manager? I've never had trouble installing any other software on Mint, but this won't work at all! I don't want to give up Mint for OpenElec or KodiBuntu, but if needed, are they any good as an OS? I want to still be able to use the computer for computer tasks. Thank you for any suggestions.
Presuming you mean 15.2 and not 14.2, it's almost certainly because you have a dubious PPA definition somewhere... Mint doesn't always handle the PPA names properly and, instead of inserting the relevant Ubuntu distro name (Trusty in this case, because I believe Mint 17 is based on 14.04 LTS) it puts in the Mint name. Lo and behold, lookups then fail, as no-one really build packages specifically for Mint, as they're not necessary.

You can get 15.2 and all the trimmings from here: https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...ter=trusty

So, check your PPA definition (/etc/apt/sources.list and similar), use apt-cache policy to see what's available and where it's coming from, and adjust the PPA as needed to point to the Trusty definition. Then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, or Synaptic should see it on a refresh (I seem to recall you can view and edit your sources through Synaptic as well if you're uncomfortable with the command line).
To answer part 2 of your question - any Ubuntu derivative is fine as a full-fat OS, so Kodibuntu is also fine. You simply have to drop out of Kodi and back into a normal desktop session, and everything is there - otherwise, it boots straight into Kodi as an 'appliance'-like experience.

OpenELEC takes this to the extreme: it boots straight into Kodi and only does Kodi to a very great extent. It's not intended to be a full desktop OS and you can't easily run browsers (there are some hacks), let alone word processors or graphics applications (these just won't work).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 14.2 on Linux Mint0