Constant disc activity when Kodi is on
I have noticed that, sometimes, i can hear heavy HDD activity when Kodi is on. It usually happens when i'm watching a video (either on youtube or from my HDD) but even if i stop watching it, the activity doesn't stop. The HDD "scratches" continuously for a random amount of time. It can be as long as 10 minutes or sometimes it never stops until i close Kodi.

This happens only with Kodi. Generally, i know how to keep my windows clean and there are no background apps using my HDD at all. I even tried disabling some windows services that might cause random HD activity (like superfetch) but Kodi still causes heavy HDD activity regardless.

So, what causes this? Is there any option or line inside a .ini file that can stop this behavior? This is a serious issue for me because the constant mechanical HDD noise is pretty noticeable, plus it may harm my equipment in the long run, especially if i upgrade to a SSD drive and use Kodi there.
Do you have the emby or watchdog addon or version check addon running/installed.

They constantly monitor for new files to add to DB or monitor KODI versions to be up to date, try disabling if you have them?
The emby add-on doesn't monitor for new files. It works on event. If the emby server fires an event, the add-on will do something. Otherwise it's not doing anything. There is no timer events add-on side.
I don't have emby or watchdog and the version check is disabled (i disabled it to see if the activity stops but it still comes up)
I have noticed when I open Kodi, all my drives spin up.
During title navigation, when focused on a title whose drive has not spun up yet, the GUI lags and will show no artwork until it has.
All artwork is local inside title folder using tmdb in edit source as scraper and artwork downloader running on startup.
I would think since everything is cached, a drive wouldn't need to spin up until playback is called?
Then again, with 'Update Library on Start Up' enabled, Kodi wants to scan the drives for changes, so they spin up.
Even though everything is cached, spinning up allocates processor resources and overrides Kodi at that moment imo.
Eventually, drives unrelated to what is being played back spin down until returning to GUI library navigating titles and then they spin up again.
Note, no scanning of any kind is being done at this point yet they spin up.
Windows 10, latest nightly.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Constant disc activity when Kodi is on0