Kodi v16 (Jarvis) upgrade FAQ
(2015-11-28, 01:35)BobCratchett Wrote: Might well be worth mentioning the changes to the shortcuts needed to the music library + files, now that the two have been combined into one. Not sure how well Kodi manages these internally (and if its done well, then presumably there's nothing to say, and I apologise that I've been too busy recently to test this thoroughly, though we've had a couple of reports from Skin Shortcuts that some 'old style' shortcuts no longer work - most notably to Music Add-ons), but from what I understand actions that previously started with ActivateWindow(MusicLibrary,...) should now just be ActivateWindow(Music,...)

It may also be worth mentioning that - once we get Skin Shortcuts updated on the repo - for skins that use it to manage the whole menu, the script will take care of updating any such actions on the home menu itself.

Is this still an issue for v16.0?
(2015-11-30, 17:53)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 17:48)coolllman Wrote: In 16 beta 1 and beta 2 on fire tv when you minimized kodi video stop playback and when video paused and screensaver go on video stop playback
In kodi 15 no such problem, please fix this in release!
Not gonna be fixed for minimise. This is intentional.

Don't know about screensaver

note added: http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v16_(Jarvis)_...s_in_focus
If anyone wants to write up a short blurb about any of the new features, please reply. I need specific help on the following, but feel free to post a writeup about any of the new features that you feel should be highlighted.
  • PVR improvements - maybe even specific writeups for the new fast channel switching, FM support, etc.
  • User ratings - Is it supported in the default skin, and if so, a quick note on how to use it.
  • Music library changes
  • Non-linary stretch and how it works
  • Which Android devices have working 4k officially for v16
  • ADSP add-ons and what is supported on what platforms - feel free to write something even if you're usure about the second part. (still need descriptions on the add-ons, screenshots of the settings, descriptions of the settings, etc)
  • What skins are showing off the new animated image support

and anything else I've forgotten. Major bonus points to anyone who also wants to make a YouTube video demoing any of these features.
(2016-02-25, 05:47)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-02-23, 22:57)scott967 Wrote: Many upgraders are having problem migrating their mySQL video database when first running Jarvis. There are a couple issues, but one recurrent one is that it can take quite a while for the migration to complete (one user reported 75 minutes). Might make a mention of the need for patience in the upgrade/mySQL portion of the FAQ.

scott s.

How's this look? http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v16_(Jarvis)_FAQ#MySQL

Great. Of course, users have to actually read the FAQ but not much you can do about that.

scott s.
The wording is kind of clunky on this one, so feel free to suggest better wording: http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v16_(Jarvis)_...ered_at_4K
(2016-02-26, 07:08)Ned Scott Wrote: The wording is kind of clunky on this one, so feel free to suggest better wording: http://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_v16_(Jarvis)_...ered_at_4K
4k rendering on 15 was shield only, actually. It's the only device having the ponies...
Ah, noted :)
@Ned: Maybe something for the wiki: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261768
(2016-02-26, 13:30)Koying Wrote: @Ned: Maybe something for the wiki: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=261768

Will do. I've been meaning to add the 1080 one as well, so I'll do both.
I've been updating the list of Ubuntu PPA packages for binary add-ons and I noticed new pages are needed to describe and list the following:
  • Audio decoders
  • Screensavers
  • Visualizations

Possibly also ADSP add-ons, but they're not in the PPAs, so I don't know the status on that. The existing lists were worked into places that seemed logical on the wiki, with the PVR ones being their own page (that also shows up on the individual PVR add-on pages):
The current pages seem kind of clunky/scattered to me, so maybe they should all be on a single "ubuntu packages" page instead? That would probably be easier for people to update. There would be links to this page from the appropriate sections about settings and such, and the FAQ, of course. Any ideas/feedback/whatever would be appreciated.

The new ones:

kodi-audiodecoder-modplug
kodi-audiodecoder-nosefart
kodi-audiodecoder-sidplay
kodi-audiodecoder-snesapu
kodi-audiodecoder-stsound
kodi-audiodecoder-timidity
kodi-audiodecoder-vgmstream

kodi-screensavers-rsxs

kodi-visualization-goom
kodi-visualization-projectm
kodi-visualization-shadertoy
kodi-visualization-spectrum
kodi-visualization-waveform
xbmc-visualization-fishbmc
Don't everyone jump in and help at once :P

Note to self, I think v16 has some "ignorefasthash" advancedsettings.xml tag that will help people who aren't getting new movies/shows added on library updates. (Or was that v15?)
Almost forgot to say, shortcuts to link to the FAQ in the forum can be done with just

Code:
[[Jarvis FAQ]]
or
[[v16 FAQ]]
Looks like some screensavers were unable to survive the transition over to the new binary add-on system/thing. A note will need to be added about what screensavers for what platforms this affects. I know at least OS X lost some. At the same time, there are also new screensavers. The FAQ might be a good place to point out the awesome ShaderToy.
I noticed some (not so positive) changes with Jarvis.

When starting up, it is very quick to get to the main screen, BUT the processor(s) seem to run at a 100% for anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes, which makes the box or windows sluggish, or downright inoperative for that time, even to the point when in windows it will dump out of kodi.

I have tried leaving Kodi on an Android box, but that creates other problems with the software over days. What can be done to reduce processor use?
Maybe switch off automatic update, but what else is causing this? It did not happen in Isengard and before.

There must be a change in Jarvis that is causing this.HuhHuh
Here's what I did for this: Ubuntu binary add-ons (wiki)

I'm wondering how best we can automate the actual package list. There's a few ways to let mediawiki just read stuff from github, and there's also python scripts that can update pages periodically.

(2016-03-02, 07:26)Ned Scott Wrote: I've been updating the list of Ubuntu PPA packages for binary add-ons and I noticed new pages are needed to describe and list the following:
  • Audio decoders
  • Screensavers
  • Visualizations

Possibly also ADSP add-ons, but they're not in the PPAs, so I don't know the status on that. The existing lists were worked into places that seemed logical on the wiki, with the PVR ones being their own page (that also shows up on the individual PVR add-on pages):
The current pages seem kind of clunky/scattered to me, so maybe they should all be on a single "ubuntu packages" page instead? That would probably be easier for people to update. There would be links to this page from the appropriate sections about settings and such, and the FAQ, of course. Any ideas/feedback/whatever would be appreciated.

The new ones:

kodi-audiodecoder-modplug
kodi-audiodecoder-nosefart
kodi-audiodecoder-sidplay
kodi-audiodecoder-snesapu
kodi-audiodecoder-stsound
kodi-audiodecoder-timidity
kodi-audiodecoder-vgmstream

kodi-screensavers-rsxs

kodi-visualization-goom
kodi-visualization-projectm
kodi-visualization-shadertoy