Alternatives for 'remove "the" when sorting' (I18N)
The 'remove "the" when sorting' feature should be more flexible. At the moment it only works well if you have english movies, music or games. Other languages should also profit from this feature. In most other languages you even have a few definite articles, like "der", "die" and "das" in german.

It would be nice to give the user the option to define his own strings to be ignored when sorting. In addition to that some default strings can be used from langinfo.xml.
you're right, it should. currently, its english centric. feel free to post a patch on sf.net.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i plan to tie defaults to lang and extras to advancedsettings.xml
This is yet another reason why I think having a Sort Name or Sort Title field in the db would be really useful. It would be the ultimate in sorting flexibility and you wouldn't have to change any code for future exceptions.
commited to svn.
i have added the following to the german langinfo.xml file:

Code:
<sorttokens>
    <token>Der</token>
    <token>Die</token>
    <token>Das</token>
    <token>The</token>
  </sorttokens>

pcrazee: could you please try it with a new SVN build if this works?
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

sCAPe: Is this feature in the latest available -T3CH build? If not we have to arrange somehow else Wink
commited @ 18th. so no
OK, last build was made on 16th. I just wait then for the next build and will report if I find any problems.

Good job guys! Big Grin
PCrazee Wrote:The 'remove "the" when sorting' feature should be more flexible. At the moment it only works well if you have english movies, music or games.

Does the "remove the" work for you under music? It works perfectly well for me in games and in movies, but under music every album with a trailing "The" is stuck under the letter T. :/

It's been like this for a few months (I'm sure originally it used to remove the the, but I could be imagining it).
eggroll Wrote:Does the "remove the" work for you under music?
Sorry, I have to admit that I haven't tried this function with my music. But I know it works well on games and movies. I'll check later on when I'm home if it works with music or not.
PCrazee Wrote:Sorry, I have to admit that I haven't tried this function with my music. But I know it works well on games and movies. I'll check later on when I'm home if it works with music or not.

Thanks a lot - I've just gone back to check again and I've added some stuff to the database and in "library" mode it removes the "The" as it should, but in "file" mode (which I use almost exclusivly) the "The" is counted when sorting directory names.
It's certainly been that way since at least Christmas of 2005. I didn't bother going back any further than that.

IMO library view is really where this sort of thing matters. It's a simple thing to change though if you want. Take a look in GUIViewStateMusic.cpp and compare how the library (musicdatabase class) and how the songs view does it.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Alternatives for 'remove "the" when sorting' (I18N)0