move kodi to new raspberry pi
Hi there,

i am a satisfied user of Kodi in combination with Raspberry pi model 1.

However i thought about upgrading the hardware to Raspberry pi 2 or even zero.

Can i just plug the currently used sd card into a different model of Raspberry pi and Kodi will work fine or does this move need some kind of preparation first?

Thanks for helping! Smile
If you're satisfied with the Pi1 you won't want to switch to the Zero - you'll lose all of the USB and network ports, and if you want the increased speed of the Zero you can get that from your Pi1 (overclock it). Perhaps if your Pi1 only has 256MB RAM then the Zero might be considered an upgrade.

Can you use your existing Pi1 SD card in a Zero? Yes, sure, as long as it's microSD.

Can you use your existing Pi1 SD card in a Pi2? That depends on the OS, but probably not.

If you're using OpenELEC then my advice would be to upgrade your Pi1 to a Pi2 build, reboot the Pi1 to apply the Pi2 upgrade, and when the Pi1 hangs on the rainbow coloured screen switch off and plug the SD card into your Pi2 which should boot normally. To go back to the Pi1, you'll need to perform the same procedure on the Pi2 but using a Pi1 build.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-11-26, 16:00)divairson Wrote: Hi there,

i am a satisfied user of Kodi in combination with Raspberry pi model 1.

However i thought about upgrading the hardware to Raspberry pi 2 or even zero.

Can i just plug the currently used sd card into a different model of Raspberry pi and Kodi will work fine or does this move need some kind of preparation first?

Thanks for helping! Smile

A RPI Zero doesn't offer an upgrade to an RPI 1B. Just overclock your RPI 1B to 1GHz and you'll have the same level of performance as an RPI Zero. Obviously an RPI 2B will offer a greater level of performance.

You could create a disk image of your RPI 1B's SD card and write it to a microSD card and that would boot an RPI Zero.

An RPI 2B requires an OS specific to it. If you install a Kodi addon called Backup, it is in the main Kodi repo, you can create a backup of your existing Kodi configuration. Then create a microSD with the Kodi based OS of your choice, boot it, install the Backup addon and then restore your backup. You'll be back in business.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Just to emphasise - you won't be able to physically plug in the SD card from a Pi 1 A or B as the later models all take microSD cards
Derek
Here's a comparison chart

http://www.makershed.com/pages/raspberry...ison-chart

I would recommend the Model B 2 (aka. Raspberry Pi 2)

which uses a "Micro SD" Card

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
move kodi to new raspberry pi0