New to Kodi
I am new to Kodi or XMBC. Thinking about installing it on a spare computer. Some questions
  • Are there live TV channels available from Puerto Rico (Telemundo, Wapa, Univision, WIPR, etc.)?
  • Which works best the Windows 7/10 version or the LINUX version? Which runs better on 64bits? What is the recommended hardware (CPU, RAM, HDD storage space, etc.)?
  • Can anyone comment about the Kodibuntu version?
  • Is there a list of legal (non-pirated) channels that I can view?
  • Can programs be switched between Spanish/English audio? What about captions?
  • Are streaming channels (like Netflix, Hulu, etc.), shown on screen in the same list/display where the Live TV EPG is shown? My concern for my wife (not to tech-savvy), or my kids is the ability to have an easy to follow interface.
  • Can I buy a set top box, but, with only legal/free channels installed? I like to have things legal, unfortunately there are a lot of illegal streams/channels in many boxes. How about a set top box that is empty so I can add my own channels/plugins, etc.?
  • Can the interface and EPG be changed to Spanish? This would be convenient for my wife and kids as they do not know a lot of English.
Quote:Are there live TV channels available from Puerto Rico (Telemundo, Wapa, Univision, WIPR, etc.)?

Sure...those you receive from your local TV-provider or receive via Sat. See: http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

Quote:Which works best the Windows 7/10 version or the LINUX version? Which runs better on 64bits?

All versions of Kodi run fine on my systems (Windows and Linux) and if you want to buy new hardware, I guess you don't have to think about 32bit.

Quote:What is the recommended hardware (CPU, RAM, HDD storage space, etc.)?

Those depend highly on the usecase, but: http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware

And there is a hardware subforum here in forums, at which you can ask specific questions. HDD storage depends on how much local videos you have, which OS you want to run etc....for only using OpenELEC (with a few addons) I guess a 16GB flash card (and maybe less) might be enough.

Quote:Can anyone comment about the Kodibuntu version?

Sure...what do you want to know about it? "Can anyone says something about Kodibuntu?" is not a very good question, as it can be answered with "Yes" Wink. Ask specific questions to get specific answers.

Quote:Can I buy a set top box, but, with only legal/free channels installed?

Don't buy anything pre-installed. Those are mostly crap and are shipped with illegal shit. The only set-top box I would buy is the Wetek with OpenELEC pre-installed. But AFAIK Netflix is only possible via Chrome under Linux. So it's not that easy especially for a "simpe use" for non tech savvy users.

Quote:How about a set top box that is empty so I can add my own channels/plugins, etc.?

That would be my way, but it would depend on the money you would like to spend. So...about how much are we talking about?

And you have to know which addons are available or not. Most can be found by googling "Kodi 'addon-name'". If you get results which are pointing to "superrepo" or "TVaddons" be aware that those repose are not supported in here and if you have problems with them, you are on your own. They don't support their own shit.

Quote:Can the interface and EPG be changed to Spanish? This would be convenient for my wife and kids as they do not know a lot of English.

Kodi is available for nearly any common language. What the EPG shows depends on what the local TV provider provides and maybe to what your backend is set to. But I'm not 100% sure on this. So maybe someone else is able to give a better answer.

------------------

I hope I could answer most of your question and this helps you at least a little bit.

Cheers
David
I guess what I mean is, how would Kodibuntu compare in terms of performance, or difficulty of installation vs say a stand alone Ubuntu (or other LINUX) + installing Kody.
Can anyone recommend a TV tuner (seen a lot but most say for Windows, not sure which one to use that can work in LINUX).
Quote:I guess what I mean is, how would Kodibuntu compare in terms of performance, or difficulty of installation vs say a stand alone Ubuntu (or other LINUX) + installing Kody.

Still a bit vague, but...

Kodibuntu is as easy to install as any other linux. The benefit of Kodibuntu is, that it's shipped only with those things, which are needed for Kodi. But it still depends on the hardware you want to use.

I wouldn't recommend to use the Kodibuntu Version you will get from download section as the OS is a bit outdated. Fritsch did a DIY Kodibuntu here, which is very interesting: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=247152

In terms of performance I guess you won't see a big difference between Ubuntu+Kodi and Kodibuntu.

If you want to use anything Intel (NUC for example), I wouldn't recommend Kodibuntu at all. As there are better builts for that hardware: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

But that's a bit harder to install.
The best thing to do is to install it and have a play - get a feel for yourself. Yes, you can switch the interface language; yes, you can switch between audio streams and caption streams (and even download subtitles for many things, assuming they're on the Internet somewhere).

You can only tell performance by running it, though. CPU isn't so important, as it will only really impact the GUI (lag or not), particularly on some of the 'heavier' skins; GPU is where it's at, because that's where the heavy lifting for 1080p h.264 is all done. That's why a Pi can do the job capably.

You can boot Kobibuntu off a flash drive, which is a good way to test. The main difference between Kodibuntu and standalone 'buntu is what it boots to - most distros will take you to a desktop environment, but Kodibuntu gives you the choice of booting to a desktop or straight into Kodi. That makes it much more of a 'set top box' experience, which is useful for day-to-day use.
1) One last question, can I use Kody on a PC to stream Live TV (via TV Tuner OTA), recordings, and streaming service like Netflix to TVs, tablets, etc.?
2) If question #1 answer is Yes, is there a limit on how many devices can be connected to Kody?
3) What do I need to stream to a TV, or Phone? I have Roku but haven't found any Roku channel that can connect to Kodi. I am willing to try Chromecast, or Fire Stick if these were to work.
Kodi can stream media from the library over DLNA/UPnP... for the most part, to get TV on tablets, you're better off installing Kodi on them, though, as it won't "re-broadcast" streams.

Netflix is problematic; there are working implementations on Linux, but the common wisdom is stick to Windows for that, I believe. Again, you can't re-broadcast it, though, so it's effectively native Netflix in a Kodi-shaped wrapper.

TVs, same story - if your TV supports the container and codec in which the media is stored, then you can use DLNA; otherwise, you're better off having a small Kodi box (e.g. a Pi) directly connected. Indeed, I'd always say that's the better solution, as it's a lot smarter and a lot prettier than anything built into most TVs. The exception is if your TV runs Android, then you can potentially install natively.

I don't know about Chromecast and the like; you may be able to use it to 'cast' Kodi from a laptop to the TV but I don't know what you'd lose (latency, sound formats, etc.).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New to Kodi0