Maybe New Power Supply for Raspberry
Mission Power USB Cable for Powering Fire TV Stick. Was wondering if it runs the Fire Stick it should run Raspberry

=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010MNFRSE?dpID=41eAWRMbqIL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR144%2C150_&refRID=6N08ESX51F6KCABSYG6J&ref_=ya_st_pd_dx_bx_4

Not bad for $ 15.00
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
Correct Link

I would be curious to know if it releases the stored power after the power is cut to keep the Pi alive longer for a proper shutdown. I keep 2 of mine powered through the USB port, they get a few seconds of power once the TV is off, but occasionally it is not enough.

If it is just more power you need, just use a Y cable (assuming you have two ports).
I suspect this device just contains a capacitor for smoothing out the current draw from the device (fire stick/pi).

If the Pi requires more power on average than the TV can supply this won't help.
If the Pi requires less power on average than the TV can supply but occasional peaks cause a problem then it may help.

The Pi does have a reasonable amount of capacitive smoothing, so it's not certain how much this will help.
And, I'd wait for evidence if you want it to extend the time the Pi can run after power has been dropped. I'd be surprised if it allow seconds of run time.

It might be interesting for an experimenter to try this device and report back, but I'd wait for some positive reports before splashing out if you just want it to work.
Based on the reviews it does store power and keeps a device powered for a short period so it may work, i'd order it if they it was 15 CAD but 15 USD + shipping just at the chance it may work is not worth it.
What puzzles me is Firestick is basically running on low powered Linux software and it doesn't require proper shut down. But Raspberry gets all screwy if you unplug it.
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
(2015-11-30, 18:02)Rickt1962 Wrote: What puzzles me is Firestick is basically running on low powered Linux software and it doesn't require proper shut down. But Raspberry gets all screwy if you unplug it.

Pretty sure if you unplug the fire stick while it is writing a file (or directory entries), then you will have problems on next boot. Without something like a UPS every platform suffers from this.

There are reports of Pi users who cut the power every day and rarely see issues, and there are reports of users who have done it just once and get corruption.

It's likely that the choice of sdcard may affect how long the window is of when cutting power will cause corruption. An sdcard that caches a large amount of write data (for performance reasons), or does significant background work (e.g. copying sectors for wear levelling) may have a longer unsafe window.
(2015-11-30, 18:40)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 18:02)Rickt1962 Wrote: What puzzles me is Firestick is basically running on low powered Linux software and it doesn't require proper shut down. But Raspberry gets all screwy if you unplug it.

Pretty sure if you unplug the fire stick while it is writing a file (or directory entries), then you will have problems on next boot. Without something like a UPS every platform suffers from this.

There are reports of Pi users who cut the power every day and rarely see issues, and there are reports of users who have done it just once and get corruption.

It's likely that the choice of sdcard may affect how long the window is of when cutting power will cause corruption. An sdcard that caches a large amount of write data (for performance reasons), or does significant background work (e.g. copying sectors for wear levelling) may have a longer unsafe window.

After thinking about it..... The Firestick has its own power supply so when you shut off your TV it still has power. Unlike using the USB port on the TV
I highly recommend using a decent 5V 2A PSU. The ones from thepihut seem great. I've got 2 of them, neither has ever skipped a beat.

Can't put a price on stability!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Maybe New Power Supply for Raspberry0