Upgrade for a NUC user
Hi,

I'm a long time user of a Celeron NUC. It's been my solid go to device for a few years now but I feel that with 4K advancing slightly, it may be time for an upgrade soon. I play alot of my own1080p material and have a 5.1 audio system. I run LibreELEC and find it almost flawless.

So, the question is:

-Do I upgrade my NUC to another NUC (which one?) or is there a device out there that will instantly fit my needs?

Thanks in advance
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
Without knowing exactly what Audio and Video content you want to play your question is far far too broad in scope.

Otherwise we are just going to say:

Android - buy a nVIDIA Shield
LibreELEC - just Nuke the Solution from Orbit and buy the latest i7 whatever Intel "Lake" they may be up to, one that has a HDMI 2.0 connector.

(2016-11-16, 16:29)wrxtasy Wrote: Without knowing exactly what Audio and Video content you want to play your question is far far too broad in scope.

Otherwise we are just going to say:

Android - buy a nVIDIA Shield
LibreELEC - just Nuke the Solution from Orbit and buy the latest i7 whatever Intel "Lake" they may be up to, one that has a HDMI 2.0 connector.

Thanks for the reply. I mostly play ripped H264 720p and 1080p videos. But it obviously needs to be able to play all formats that my Celeron NUC can currently play.

I also stream alot of iPlayer and Youtube.

HEVC would also be very useful.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
For h/w-decoded HEVC and 10-bit support, you'll want to look at the Apollo Lake and Kaby Lake threads as @wrxtasy pointed out. Pentium and i3 versions are enough for Kodi... i5 and i7 not needed, unless you're also a gamer.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-11-16, 16:38)smallclone Wrote: I also stream a lot of iPlayer and Youtube.

HEVC would also be very useful.
Get a nVIDIA Shield, then you can use iPlayer and YouTube very easily on a big Screen TV.

The Shield has this exclusive BBC iPlayer Android TV App, that looks like they have fixed early issues they were having with it:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...DWidgetWeb

Thanks, it looks like there's 2 options then. I am tempted to buy the shield but I just won't use it for gaming.
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
I would wait a little bit longer, to see which devices are coming with the new Intel processors in it (Asrock Beebox, Gigabyte Brix, Intel Nuc, Zotac etc...). As you state, most of your content at this moment is 720 and 1080p. I think your current NUC is playing them stil smoothly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrade for a NUC user0