Does MINIX NEO U1 have a Bluetooth Problem?
Hello,

Just got the box today from amazon sold directly by MINIX. The Box is almost perfect, I hope that this is not a issue with all NEO U1 Boxes.

So the issue is Bluetooth, no device can be paired and connected to the U1 unless it is about 1 Foot away from the box. Defeats the purpose of Bluetooth, don't ya think?

And If I get one of my devices connected (Bluetooth keyboard, headphones) as soon as I step more then a few feet from the MINIX NEO U1 , the connection is lost.

I'm returning the NEO U1 via Amazon as we speak. The only question on my mind should I buy a MINIX NEO U1 again and hope that it was just a defective box.

Could someone please test Bluetooth Conectivite on their NEO U1 and let me know if they have issues?

Thank You.
(2015-12-10, 08:26)denismn Wrote: Hello,

Just got the box today from amazon sold directly by MINIX. The Box is almost perfect, I hope that this is not a issue with all NEO U1 Boxes.

So the issue is Bluetooth, no device can be paired and connected to the U1 unless it is about 1 Foot away from the box. Defeats the purpose of Bluetooth, don't ya think?

And If I get one of my devices connected (Bluetooth keyboard, headphones) as soon as I step more then a few feet from the MINIX NEO U1 , the connection is lost.

I'm returning the NEO U1 via Amazon as we speak. The only question on my mind should I buy a MINIX NEO U1 again and hope that it was just a defective box.

Could someone please test Bluetooth Conectivite on their NEO U1 and let me know if they have issues?

Thank You.

Have you put the external antenna on?
Bluetooth needs the antenna.
Tried with external antenna attached - 10 feet no problem.
Tried without the external antenna - less than 2 feet.
The external antenna is required for BOTH Wi-Fi and Bluetooth,
we've seen some cases thinking that it's not required for Bluetooth in the past.
So, please check it out ~ Smile
hello thanks for replies, I have the antenna on. I use Ethernet as my primary connection, but for testing purpose, I also turned on Wifi. Wifi seems to be working fine, it can pickup and connect to my router. So that must mean I got a bad box, kenofstephen. Bluetooth just doesn't want to find any device unless it's a foot away. My phone, tablet has no problem finding the same devices 20 Feet away. lol
(2015-12-10, 10:08)denismn Wrote: hello thanks for replies, I have the antenna on. I use Ethernet as my primary connection, but for testing purpose, I also turned on Wifi. Wifi seems to be working fine, it can pickup and connect to my router. So that must mean I got a bad box, kenofstephen. Bluetooth just doesn't want to find any device unless it's a foot away. My phone, tablet has no problem finding the same devices 20 Feet away. lol

Hi, it's quite unlikely to happen because the Wi-Fi & Bluetooth are coming from the same chip.Wink
If the Bluetooth failed, then the Wi-Fi should went bad as well... since they're together.
I saw some cases before using Ethernet and thought the antenna is not necessary, so...
(2015-12-10, 10:40)kenofstephen Wrote:
(2015-12-10, 10:08)denismn Wrote: hello thanks for replies, I have the antenna on. I use Ethernet as my primary connection, but for testing purpose, I also turned on Wifi. Wifi seems to be working fine, it can pickup and connect to my router. So that must mean I got a bad box, kenofstephen. Bluetooth just doesn't want to find any device unless it's a foot away. My phone, tablet has no problem finding the same devices 20 Feet away. lol

Hi, it's quite unlikely to happen because the Wi-Fi & Bluetooth are coming from the same chip.Wink
If the Bluetooth failed, then the Wi-Fi should went bad as well... since they're together.
I saw some cases before using Ethernet and thought the antenna is not necessary, so...

I guess I'll just have to potentially waste about 2 weeks or so. I have already went ahead and started the return process via Amazon. They have issued a refund but of course have to wait like a week before they receive the current box and the refund reaches my account. Then I will give another U1 a shoot, if that has the same problem then the conclusion is simple. Android Tv Boxes are not ready as a HTPC, and more importantly MINIX will never have a great reputation as a quality company. I have already established that MINIX has terrible customer support, when I called them about the problem, they told me that the SN# on the box doesn't exist in their system and refused to help. I bought it on Amazon sold by MINIX directly. I hate it when a company does not provide enough help, I cant even find any support or info about the U1 on their website. I just went with them because they are officially working with KODI and hear good reviews on the net.
I will post again in here when I get the replacement. That way new buyers are not left hanging without a conclusion to the problem.
last update:

Got the replacement unit just now. Bluetooth work fine on the replacement. Miner issue with the replacement, the included remote didn't work, but because I still had the old unit here (I waited to ship it back tell I got the replacement, good thing I did wait) I just took the remote from the unit I'm returning, haha. Now everything seems to be working great.
I had the same issue.

I opened the box and found the  antenna wire was disconnected - likely from the frequent turning of the flimsy external antenna.

I stripped a bit of the wire, fed it through the black sheath and made sure it had good contact with the nub inside the box - even though I wasn't able to thread the wire directly into the nub.

Bluetooth now works as expected.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does MINIX NEO U1 have a Bluetooth Problem?0