Best Media Server
I've been using Kodi for a little while and I'm really happy with it. I would like to run a machine dedicated to be a server for Kodi across my personal network, so that I can use other clients (currently running on an RPi2) to access my library.

I saw something about using media server, but I wanted to get some opinions before doing anything. For the most part, I would be using it to host videos, and maybe occassionally play music. The videos are all located on a portable hard drive or flash drive, though I'm not opposed to running a video streaming service through it, if that's possible to do from the server, down the line.

What are the community suggestions for the best way to tackle this?
This post on the wiki lays out the options currently available that work with Kodi.

Personally, I use the Emby add-on but hopefully someday we will have a headless Kodi that acts as the server. There are several threads across this forum about this topic and the wiki also has a lot of information. I would suggest reading up as much as you can before you start taking other people's opinion on how you live your life.
Thanks, that was really helpful. I must have missed that page altogether. I was simply asking for opinions from others who have had actual experience with it, so that they can provide personal insight on it, rather than me just reading what the site says about it's own product. That way I can make a better decision for myself about which method to go with.
Sorry if I came across a little snarky, I just want you to know what the options so you can weigh opinions.

I really think the way to go right now, if you have a dedicated machine for a server, is with Emby server. I prefer to run Ubuntu server (or any Linux server) but it also works well on a NAS (like QNAP or Synology). The nice thing about Emby if your clients are RPis is that the box Emby is on will do the heavy lifting where it comes to managing the database. If you host a mySQL database for Kodi on a server, each client will be doing the work of maintaining that database.
All you need is a machine that serves files over smb or nfs. Any old desktop will do. Load it up with hard drives, install ubuntu, profit.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-12-22, 04:38)nickr Wrote: All you need is a machine that serves files over smb or nfs. Any old desktop will do. Load it up with hard drives, install ubuntu, profit.
I'd try OpenMediaVault
It is based on Debian ahs has a nice Web-GUI.
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
(2015-12-22, 08:50)Solo0815 Wrote:
(2015-12-22, 04:38)nickr Wrote: All you need is a machine that serves files over smb or nfs. Any old desktop will do. Load it up with hard drives, install ubuntu, profit.
I'd try OpenMediaVault
It is based on Debian ahs has a nice Web-GUI.
Yes I've heard good things about that. I use ubuntu because the server also runs mythtv backend, and a few other bits and pieces, but omv has a good rep if you don't want other stuff going on.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

In general, what kind of specs would you recommend for a host?
(2015-12-22, 16:02)guardian1691 Wrote:

In general, what kind of specs would you recommend for a host?

Just for serving files, even a Core2Duo or equivalent AMD system from 6 years ago with 2GB of RAM and some old GPU from the same era works fine. I use an AMD 4850 with 4GB of RAM, integrated HD4200graphics and 5 HDDs running XPEnology ( Synology NAS software hacked to run on bog-standard x86 hardware) for the last year and works like a charm. Serves files to Kodi, runs as a Plex server (can even trasncode to 720p 4Mbps for mobile devices), Cloud Server, MySql server and other stuff.
After checking things out, and knowing my own technical limitations, I'm really drawn toward Emby. It has a beautiful UI (makes it easier for my wife to find things as she's not technically inclined at all), I saw you can see what devices are currently using the services (makes it nice to know what's going on from one spot), takes a lot of the work off of the Pi, and seems really easy to set up. Once I make sure I have a reliable machine I'm going to be trying it out, at least for a start.
You could build your own host, as it's been said, with an old desktop and FreeNAS, unRAID or OMV.

Or you can just do it the easy way and buy a NAS. Plug some drives in it and go. No OS installation to mess around with, no linux commands to learn, extremely reliable, compact and power efficient.

If you're on a budget, look around on Kijiji. Even an older NAS will be fine for basic serving of files to a Kodi frontend.
Yeah true, until you want it to do something else that involves software your nas os doesn't support, horses for courses.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Media Server0