• 3(current)
Release Walking out in protest and abandoning volunteer support for Kodi
@Big Aero

not sure if that's only due to kodi, as there are also openelec (bleeding edge) and pvr addons in the mix.

(2016-01-05, 00:25)Tolriq Wrote:
(2016-01-04, 20:18)Koying Wrote:
(2016-01-04, 19:26)braz Wrote: My guess is these are the folks using the fully-loaded boxes (e.g., pirate addons) and they don't want to break their "build" by installing the new version. Wink
+1
Just check for people complaining that having Kodi on Google Play auto-updated their Android Kodi box. Wink

Assumptions versus real life data as often here Wink

For example data from Sunday 3rd January 2016.

10% usage : xbmchelix / 14.2-stable / 14.2 Git:7cc53a9 / Rpi / 14 / OpenELEC (official) - Version: 5.0.8 (kernel: Linux 3.18.10) (2nd most used combination)
4% usage : xbmchelix / 14.1-stable / 14.1 Git:2015-02-02-81c4046-dirty / Rpi / 14 / Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy) (kernel: Linux 3.12.31)

First android box is : xbmcisengard / 15.2-stable / 15.2 Git:2015-10-27-17fa8da / Android / 15 / Android 4.4.2 API level 19 (kernel: Linux 3.10.33) at 1.5%

First android box not 15.x is : xbmchelix / 14.2-stable / 14.2 Git:2015-03-26-7cc53a9-dirty / Android / 14 / Android 4.4.2 API level 19 (kernel: Linux 3.10.33) with 0.2% and it's 41th position ...

As I have already tried to explained, real data is the key to understand things, assumption and educated guess have limits Wink

Users are not all the dumb that some wants to believe Smile

And first release at 11% is now effectively a Isenguard : xbmcisengard / 15.2-stable / 15.2 Git:02e7013 / Rpi / 15 / OpenELEC (official) - Version: 6.0.0 (kernel: Linux 4.1.12)

But this is very very recent.

Edit : Well seems maybe asking the users directly does also works if you take time to consider them Wink

Well our stats look more like this (determined by anonymous tracking of download stats for our main scraper):

Kodi 15.2 5416841
Kodi 14.2 1690940
Kodi 15.1 1108620
XBMC 13.2 465756
Kodi 14.1 378745
Kodi 15.0 301048
Kodi 14.2-RC1 216801
Kodi 14.0 204483
XBMC 13.1 104436
Kodi 15.2-RC1 89776
This is the repartion of Kodi and OS versions for Yatse users.

It' s the following of my data about 55% of Kodi users not updated to 15.0 or more recent.

And it gives insight about the fact that no it not pirated Android box for majority like said by some here.
@Razee you'll need to give more details about those numbers as they are out of context.

The numbers I gave are unique Kodi version that users connected to on one precise day from Yatse.
(2016-01-05, 01:01)Tolriq Wrote: @Razee you'll need to give more details about those numbers as they are out of context.

The numbers I gave are unique Kodi version that users connected to on one precise day from Yatse.

Those are unique downloads of the tmdb scraper 3.8.8 counted in December excluding jarvis.
(2016-01-05, 00:53)Razze Wrote: @Big Aero

not sure if that's only due to kodi, as there are also openelec (bleeding edge) and pvr addons in the mix.

Or just the linux platform in general... since fritsch has also reproduced the 25fps frame skip bug on his Ubuntu system running Kodi 16.

Bleeding edge or not, Openelec 5 vs Openelec 6/7, 5 is much faster at changing channels and loading of the tv guide - all tested with the same build of tvheadend service..... and 5 certainly does not suffer from this sluggish 25fps issue as seen on Kodi 15/16.... 17 perhaps..

More info and steps to reproduce can be found here if anyones interested :
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=246772
@Tolriq You realize that users of an actual STB, with a real remote, don't need yatse, do you? OTOH, I bet most rpi users do.

So yeah, those are yatse stats, but they don't have any correlation with Kodi as a whole...
Well, no matter how we slice the numbers, the need to improve the Kodi project remains the same. Even if just for the sanity of the team and hard-core community.
(2016-01-05, 05:13)Ned Scott Wrote: Well, no matter how we slice the numbers, the need to improve the Kodi project remains the same. Even if just for the sanity of the team and hard-core community.

Sure, this will always be there, we will never be happy or not hungry to change/improve things. But sometimes we might want to learn to appreciate what work has been done and what is working/has already been achieved. Even if it's not the perfect solution.
(2016-01-05, 02:16)Koying Wrote: @Tolriq You realize that users of an actual STB, with a real remote, don't need yatse, do you? OTOH, I bet most rpi users do.

So yeah, those are yatse stats, but they don't have any correlation with Kodi as a whole...

We know better mantra Wink

I really wonder why I continue to try, anyway : The numbers I gave are from 1 million users, the number are big enough to be representative whatever you may think of Yatse ....

If we take Razeee number (that are biased since any new Kodi install will trigger a download and do not represent active users at all, since users testing Kodi will download 15.2) then active user base for december is more or less 10 million. (And in reality it's less due to all users that only tested Kodi)

Now since you talk about physical remotes, let's add users of Kore (500 000 according to blog post, even if active install is not active users as I learned Wink )
Then add iOS remote users more than 1M let's say 1.5M.

This makes 3 million users of Kodi that use smartphone remotes, this is 30% percent of your user base ..... (And I know that it's even more but you know better and I can't prove that number).

Now if you think 33% of your user base is not representative, then there's nothing I can do for you. (And 10% from Yatse is already representative but well Wink )

Now some more data about Razee scraper download for fun. (Yes because just showing random data without analysis and just looking at the first big number means nothing Wink )

Without modifying the data to be more realistic it's still 30,5% of your user base that have not updated to 15 this number is huge and is not related to Yatse ....

Now with more realistic data (considering that a part of the download are users that only installed Kodi 15.2 for test and that a part of them have not kept it as it's how real life happens) this is more 40% but I will not try to explain how to calculate this one since I will not be believed.

So sorry but yes those are real numbers, sorry that you don't like it, or me Smile

The fact that some do not love to be wrong does not mean you are not wrong, and maybe some do not like me because I'm right who knows.

Anyway you have the data, I'll continue to not do PR and help since no one want me to help and there's still the organisational problem, as it was the main story of this thread first.

And the answers about your numbers are wrong, bla bla bla just continue to show how external people are handled, one day you'll stop asking why there's less and less external help and start to analyse things.
Couldn't you make the same argument that 30% of white people that speak English tend to be Americans, therefore all English speakers are fat? I mean, 30% COULD be representative of the other 70%, but I'm not sure what evidence exists to say it is, other than your assurance.
(2016-01-05, 12:11)Tolriq Wrote: We know better mantra Wink

Just plain math.
- We have > 3M active installations of Kodi Android on Google Play. This is a fact (unless Google statistics is wrong). We can assume that most of the (non-google play enabled) cheapo chinese boxes are not counted, but let's ignore them.
- 98% of those are 15.1+, it's also a fact

If we correlate that with you own stats (1.5% on android 15.2, let's assume 3% for android 15.1+), that would give us a very conservative total number of Kodi installs of 3M * 0.98 * 100 / 3 = 98M.
This conflicts with our own global stats, we are successful, but not *that* successful Wink

Bottom-line: The Yatse stats does not straightly correlate with the global Kodi stats. QED.
We can change assumptions at will, that doesn't change the fact that we cannot deduce a global Kodi picture from the Yatse stats.

And this is unrelated to what I think of Yatse, which is a very good remote, indeed Wink
(2016-01-05, 12:11)Tolriq Wrote: And the answers about your numbers are wrong, bla bla bla just continue to show how external people are handled, one day you'll stop asking why there's less and less external help and start to analyse things.

Nobody said your wrong. I'm just thinking loud and wondering, if we got a bug in those stats or if you got one. Not to laugh about you or us, but to fix the problem.
Feels weird that you always think your being attacked, even when you're not. We're trying to learn from this. Smile
(2016-01-05, 12:48)natethomas Wrote: Couldn't you make the same argument that 30% of white people that speak English tend to be Americans, therefore all English speakers are fat? I mean, 30% COULD be representative of the other 70%, but I'm not sure what evidence exists to say it is, other than your assurance.

Then read the part about Razee stat ? Your own stats ? Not Yatse related, not Tolriq related ?

About your answer now : You mix a lot of things, if you take time to read what I write it's more :
30% of white English speaking people tends to be american.
50% of american are fat (Random number no offense to anyone)

Conclusion 50% of white english speaking people are fat.

From a statistical point of view we can assume from other analysis on the web that in fact American are a little fatter than others but the standard deviation is not that big when comparing to other countries.

So yes the numbers are not 100% but they are representative enough to not be far from the correct numbers.

And unlike being fat or not there's currently no more distinction about countries or things like that about having a smartphone, so yes the number I gave are more or less representative unless you can find a logical way to explain a very large difference of Kodi usage for smartphone users.

Edit for Koying answer : Well at least you give some numbers since it's hard to get them Wink Anyway Razee stats are real stats Smile

And since my English is not that good, the important part about 30% is more than 30% part of your user base is very important. And at least for this part 55% of the users have not updated. This is a number to take in account even if you do not want to extrapolate.

Now if we mix that with Razee stats 40% to 55% tends to show that maybe the standard deviation is bigger, but those numbers are not ready to be compared, it would need a real active user stats.

But either it's 40 or 55% or 50 or 45 those are very very big numbers and something to address IMO. I always try to give numbers because when I report back users feedback I have the answer is more or less always the same Wink

Numbers are harder to hide.
And an important thing about the stat I gave since it was not clear Smile

There's 1 line for each combination of precise Kodi Version / OS build.

So the 1.5% of Kodi android box is not real it's just the most used build :

xbmcisengard / 15.2-stable / 15.2 Git:2015-10-27-17fa8da / Android / 15 / Android 4.4.2 API level 19 (kernel: Linux 3.10.33) 1.5%

Kodi 15.2 on Android 4.4.2

There's lot's of others lines like for example :

xbmcisengard / 15.2-stable / 15.2 Git:2015-10-27-17fa8da / Android / 15 / Android 5.1.0 API level 22 (kernel: Linux 3.10.61-ge817e80) is 0.8%

Or for example :
xbmcisengard / 15.2-stable / 15.2 Git:2015-10-19-02e7013 / Android / 15 / Android 4.2.2 API level 17 (kernel: Linux 3.0.31+) at 0.55%
xbmcisengard / 15.2-stable / 15.2 Git:2015-10-19-02e7013 / Android / 15 / Android 4.2.2 API level 17 (kernel: Linux 3.4.0-perf-gc05e844-00001-gd574c65) at 0.5%

Same Kodi and OS but different kernels.

So Android users number are way bigger.

I had to change my logging system since I exploded Analytics quota and now log everything in one line, I need to make new excel files to have more usable stats like before.

If unlike previously you are interested in those numbers that I did propose multiple times to share I can take time to work on them, but from all experience it's hard to have motivation.
(2016-01-04, 20:18)Koying Wrote:
(2016-01-04, 19:26)braz Wrote: My guess is these are the folks using the fully-loaded boxes (e.g., pirate addons) and they don't want to break their "build" by installing the new version. Wink
+1
Just check for people complaining that having Kodi on Google Play auto-updated their Android Kodi box. Wink.
That's a bit of an unfair generalization. I don't think I posted here about it, but I was fairly miffed when my family's android tablets auto-updated. Nothing to do with piracy, it's because for the previous 7 or 8 years I'd updated manually so I wasn't expecting it. There's always a risk of things breaking when updating.
I might have misremembered - wouldn't be the first time - but IIRC builds I installed via .apk downloads from here updated via the play store. Am I imagining that?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Walking out in protest and abandoning volunteer support for Kodi3