Android Need to disable video caching: Android to Windows
Hi,

I am running a streaming test where I stream 4k 60fps video from an NVIDIA Shield (Android) to Windows 10 over Wi-Fi. For the purposes of the test, it has to actually be streaming. Currently, when I start Kodi and tell it to stream to the PC, it takes about 20ish seconds for it to start playing on the PC, but I've found that it's not actually streaming, it just copies the entire video to the PC and plays it from there. I discovered this by letting it play for 20 seconds, and then turning off Wi-Fi completely. The video still plays to the end (10+ minute video).

I've done some research and found information on the "advancedsettings.xml" file in /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/ that should be able to be used to change buffering usage.

I set it to:
<network>
<buffermode>3</buffermode>
<cachemembuffersize>5242880</cachemembuffersize>
<readbufferfactor>2.0</readbufferfactor>
</network>

Information from http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache/
buffermode 3 is supposed to be "no buffering"
cachemembuffersize I set to 5 MB, which should be a very small amount of video
I used readbufferfactor 2.0 due to the large file size and this:
"If Kodi is loading a typical bluray raw file at 36 Mbit/s, then a value of 2 will need at least 72 Mbit/s of network bandwidth."

I also tried truncating the advancedsettings.xml to:
<network>
<buffermode>3</buffermode>
</network>

To just completely turn off buffering. With both of these, it made no difference; it still buffered the entire video to the PC before playing.

Note: proper indention was used in both examples, but it looks like the forums formatting strips it out.

Can someone help me set up Kodi to do direct streaming with little or no buffering? 5-10 seconds of buffered video would be fine, but there has to be actual streaming going on for the parameters of the test. I've tried streaming via VLC Direct (on the Shield) and VLC on the PC, which does direct streaming, but it gave me glitchy video output.

Thanks for any help,

-David.
debug log (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need to disable video caching: Android to Windows0