Any Kodi hardware with internal 3.5" SATA ?
Hi, im looking for a Kodi for my parents and I want to provide them a player with HDD full of movies/tv.

Has anybody seen a Kodi player that fits an internal 3.5" HDD ? I would ideally like to keep everything in the one box, on/off power, simple.

The alternative is obviously a USB HDD enclosure and separate Kodi player, or a full PC, I really want to avoid them having to understand connecting and powering on/off multiple devices if possible.

Also, enclosure hdd power bricks are prone to dying in my experience and i'd really like to avoid that route.

Thanks
A bit expensive in my opinion but here is a RPi2 case that holds a HDD.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plusb...berry-pi#/

I personally would get a RPi2 and a cheap case, put OpenElec on it, and stick the RPi to an external HDD that doesn't require its own PSU with two sided tape. Get a quality PSU for the RPi2 so it is able to power the HDD over USB without issues. Although to find a HDD that operates on USB power alone you may need to look into 2.5" drives. When the RPi is powered on so is the HDD and since it uses next to no electricity it can be left on 24/7.
(2016-01-10, 03:45)Jdiesel Wrote: A bit expensive in my opinion but here is a RPi2 case that holds a HDD.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plusb...berry-pi#/

Thanks for the idea, however its only a 2.5" hdd so im limited to 2tb max and the PlusBerry PI seems over priced for what it is. Cheers
Either get a 2.5" HDD and then use a Zotac BI320. This is a very good device that fits a 2.5" internally. A MCE IR remote control will need to be purchased and setup however.

It has near identical Internals to the very popular Chromeboxes you see here on the Kodi fourms. Run OpenELEC on it and you won't look back.

BIG suggestion for your parents is to get a run OpenELEC / Kodi on any device you choose. This turns Kodi into an appliance like Plug N play device.

I personally would get an externally powered usb 3.5" HDD enclosure and then plug that into a WeTek Core and run OpenELEC on it as Kodi users are now getting very good results with OE on this box.
Its also uses little power, is silent and can stay on 24/7.
The Core comes with an excellent Wireless remote control and is virtually Plug N Play. Smile

whatever you do, I would suggest you go SSD if you going for internal.
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
Wow it seems really hard to get a response to my actual question. I have a 6tb drive I want to put in a kodi box. The 2.5" drive responses really are not helpful.

I guess an external usb drive case is looking more and more like the only option. Either that or a full blown PC. I am surprised no manufacturer has a kodi box that takes a full sized drive, though.
As you may have noticed, manufacturers have downsized in recent years. Small footprint Intel NUC's, RPI's and tiny Android devices.

A whole bunch of us run NAS's on a home Network to plug in 3.5" HDD. We don't want a large, noisy, power guzzzling box sitting next to our TV's.

You are swimming against the tide trying to put a 3.5" HDD in a small elegant media player case.

I've been trying to get my parents set up with something they can understand and operate for about ten years. It hasn't happened yet. Yeah, I get what you mean about the two buttons. Sounds like a computer is your best option. People have been throwing surplus sff computers at me lately. The newer ones aren't too ugly. If your parents are old, they probably won't be bothered by the noise. If they only turn it on when they use it (and it sounds like that's the plan), power consumption won't be a big issue. As others have said, go with Openelec for that appliance feel.
The Asus VM42 takes a 3.5" drive, but their specs say "500GB up to 1TB". See them sold with a 500GB drive installed, so I don't know if that means they also have a 1TB model or if there's some technical limitation that would keep HDs to 1TB. Other than that, I think you'd have to go up to something mini-itx sized.
Has their router got a USB port could you plug the 6tb drive into that which would work as a nas drive then use a pi2 or any other small device to read the HDD from the network
I have a NAS myself but setting one up for parents is simply out of the question.

The Wetek Core seems like the better option because I know it will just work,

If I go down the USFF PC route then I have to worry about infrared remote problems. You would think it will just work but that is never the case.

Last week they managed to factory wipe their laptop by accident, and I thought that thing was foolproof. It proves nothing is simple when you get old.
(2016-01-31, 08:24)Eureka Wrote: The Asus VM42 takes a 3.5" drive, but their specs say "500GB up to 1TB". See them sold with a 500GB drive installed, so I don't know if that means they also have a 1TB model or if there's some technical limitation that would keep HDs to 1TB. Other than that, I think you'd have to go up to something mini-itx sized.

My brothers GF bought her parents one last year and she bought one for herself a few weeks ago. Pretty sure she has a 2TB HDD installed in it.
You can buy a used 2013 Apple Time Capsule for ~$150 and replace the internal drive with your 6TB. Buy a Pi, attach it to their TV controlling via CEC and leave it on 24/7. The only power button is their TV. Get a network tuner so they can watch broadcast TV and they'll never have to change inputs either.

Limitations are:
  • 50MB/s max wite speed over Gigabit (80+MB/s reads are no problem)
  • 25MB/s max write speed over 802.11ac
  • No redundancy
  • HFS+ lacks checksumming; silent error corruption possible but minor issue with media
  • No spin up/down control. Must wait ~15 seconds for video start.
  • Must use replacement drive with spindown timer (i.e. no WD Reds)
I have a Mede8er med800x3d which uses RTD1186 processor but has internal SATA up to many TB.
It is noiseless, easy, relatively small and beautiful but I need more flexibility in terms of Streaming so Kodi is the only choice.
Any device with 3.5" SATA yet ?
Hi again.
Is HiMedia Q10 Pro what we've been waiting for ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any Kodi hardware with internal 3.5" SATA ?0