• 6(current)
Starting development on NZB support for XBMC
Jolly Good Sir! Smile
if this is as good as the pc nzbpalyer then Ill be well chuffed... I have just tried the PC version and it is excellent. There is even a search function so you can watch all ur fav tv shows. The wife was well pleased last night when she could catch up with all her desperate housewives from the states. Awsome program
I'm looking forward to this addition!

How's the progress on this??

Good luck, LoL Wink
Any further updates Optip?
optip where are you dude?
hi,
i havent had a chance to look at this since my last post... i've had a lot of crap going on but i just have to make the time and get it done!
i'll post later with a commitment on time that i'll be able to stick to! sorry for the delay Sad
patrick
Awesome!
I was just hopeing you were still around.
Exclamation 
Great stuff! Cool Hope to see a submitted patch on sourceforge.net sonBig Grin

optip Wrote:i think the memory will be ok... i download everything straight into a file so, content is downloaded straight into a file called z:\temp\encoded.1.tmp (where 1 is the thread id).. when its downloaded, it's decoded into z:\temp\decoded.1.tmp - and the player plays by fread'ing from this decoded.1.tmp file... i wrote a new ydecode procedure that decodeds straight from one file pointer to another - byte by byte so no major mem usage there either. because all the data is kept in files, it shouldn't take much more memory to have lots of threads given that they aren't really storing any content in RAM.

one issue with this is that there is potentially a lot of disk churn with all the concurrent reading and writing... i think it shoud be ok and so am ignoring this as an issue for now... if anybody wants to tell me that they know that is a real problem however, it's probably better to address it now then have lots of ppl complaining of dead hard disks later!! Tongue
Harddisk trashing could become a serious issue, especially with the Linux port of XBMC which will probebly be aimed to run from a solid-state (flash-memory such as a USB memory-key or CompactFlash-card), those memory types has a limted amout of write/erase cycles (somewhere along the lines of 1,000 to 10,000) and can easily be corrupted. (Sure the very latest NAND memory based harddrives support much higher write/erase cycles but those are very expensive compared to a cheap 4GB USB-key).

I think I would much rather see you see you sacrifice a little more RAM to maintain a larger cache buffer if it will save the harddrive. However try to optimize where ever possible to save on both RAM space and do as little harddrive write/read as possible. Larger RAM usage will of course not be a problem on a Linux port of XBMC running on a computer, as then you probebely have at least 512MB of memory to play with. But since XBMC will be a cross-platform software the code should be optimized to run on low-spec hardware and utilize as little resources as possible, (and since it is called Xbox Media Center it should always run well on the old Xbox with its limitations, at least for a good more few years).

Other rutines in XBMC may also have to optimized for the same reasons; to perform as few erase/write events as possible; instead aim to: write once, read many.

Peteo Wrote:It would be nice to have the option of saving. so I could watch it later, sorta like a DVR. Just something to add once you get the streaming working. Im sure allot of people would like that feature.
Though the option to save should not be prioritized I do think it would be a nice feature, however personaly I would not want to save it to the Xbox built-in harddrive, instead I would prefer to write to a UPnP, SMB or FTP server on my local network which serves as a file-server.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
It sounds like a lot of work. I really wish i could help him out with some of it, but im not a C programmer.

Just out of curiosity are there any other devs interested in this?
nate12o6 Wrote:Just out of curiosity are there any other devs interested in this?
You know what the say about too many chefs, I think the same thing also often applies to software development, at least during the beginning of a project such as this and the developer already know what he/she want to achive. I'm sure the developer during the process can take in ideas/suggestions and accept help/guidence is he or she asks for it if it is needed, however most of the time you only want one mastermind until you got a working prototype of a concept, it can then from there be improved/enhanced by others (with the overseeing eyes of the originator, as he/she usually ends up as the long term maintainer who have to fix the bugs and issues with the code, ...it is 'your baby').

On the other side I am not a developer/programmer myself so I could be completly off about this Rolleyes
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:You know what the say about too many chefs, I think the same thing also often applies to software development, at least during the beginning of a project such as this and the developer already know what he/she want to achive. I'm sure the developer during the process can take in ideas/suggestions and accept help/guidence is he or she asks for it if it is needed, however most of the time you only want one mastermind until you got a working prototype of a concept, it can then from there be improved/enhanced by others (with the overseeing eyes of the originator, as he/she usually ends up as the long term maintainer who have to fix the bugs and issues with the code, ...it is 'your baby').

On the other side I am not a developer/programmer myself so I could be completly off about this Rolleyes

I think that is worded to almost perfection!
Hows the progress?

Also, I know you said this would be a xbox stand alone. I was wondering would this ever be able to download the files to a pc for those us that have original xbox hdds.
BUMP!

Oppps... oh well whilst im here Wink
optip we need you!
Big Grin 
Wow! I hope this project comes though as it would be the best thing around for live media. if it did with no problems ever PVR would look bad to this.

Keep up the work! cant wait
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting development on NZB support for XBMC1