Assassin HTPC selling Kodi bundled with banned addons
(2016-02-24, 21:14)GreySkies Wrote:
(2016-02-24, 19:28)Assassinhtpc Wrote: Correct. As I said. Wasn't even aware it was still listed.

Actually glad no one bought one because that product doesn't exist. So thank you.

You see that? We're working together here!

In many months? Hmm, one sold last week.

Rofl BUT THINK OF THE SQUEAKY CLEAN INNOCENT NARRATIVE HE'S TRYING TO SPIN. WON'T YOU THINK ABOUT THE NARRATIVE! Rofl
You still need to produce the source of your kodi fork cause you are still in violation of GPL the source needs to be open and public
(2016-02-23, 23:30)Assassinhtpc Wrote: Snipex I have sent you a PM.

Feel free to run wire-shark although no need to. We use teamviewer for our remote tech support, which only allows access when the user gives permission.

There is no bloatware, spyware, and is a very lean installation package that is completely safe and has been verified by many sources.

Although I cannot say all of this conversation has been beneficial.

The increasing popularity and very high approval rating of our Instant HTPC Setup Download and our products speak for themselves.

I've PM'd several of those involved in this thread to discuss some levels of further cooperation.
(2016-02-23, 23:44)lanzorg Wrote: So we can't create a customized installer with kodi bundled and some addons?
What about all these android devices with kodi/openelec pre-installed?

I planned to create an innosetup installer for kodi-dsplayer with madvr and some customized settings.
correct, you can't. It violates our trademark policy

edit: to clarify: no added addons. Dsplayer should be ok, as long as it doesn't claim to be vanilla kodi.
(2016-02-24, 19:27)Assassinhtpc Wrote:
(2016-02-23, 23:44)lanzorg Wrote: So we can't create a customized installer with kodi bundled and some addons?
What about all these android devices with kodi/openelec pre-installed?

I planned to create an innosetup installer for kodi-dsplayer with madvr and some customized settings.

Just curious if anyone going to answer this question?
rebrand
Not really how it works.. open source doesnt mean send a link to one developer it means all of us Smile so fork it over or violate the terms
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..... so unless none of you have ever ripped a DVD in violation of the DMCA........

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...ght=anydvd
(38 pages worth of discussion on ripping copy protected BDs)

or how about this discussion a week ago
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...t=rip+disc

I read the announcement on the Kodi homepage and I completely understand why that stance had to be taken. I would hate having my project dragged through the mud and have no personal recourse, but it certainly seemed like Assassin complied with it very quickly. There's no doubt that his actions cross an ethical line, but I don't think he is the kind of guy you think he is. I have followed his posts across several boards and I don't recall him ever condoning piracy or any other illegal act. Yes, he makes money off of custom HTPC but he has devoted hours and hours to helping DIYers and posting page after page of useful info for anyone to use free of charge. He has personally answered some of my questions about HTPC/Media Servers over the last 3 or 4 years and although I can't say for certain that he's not a piece of crap, I would feel safe putting my money on "A pretty good guy that made a bad decision".

I am 100% sure he did not act maliciously. He screwed up, you've kicked him and had your fun at his expense. Let it go already. The tone of the thread is starting to trend more about the character of the critics and less about the perpetrator. You guys are better than that.
(2016-02-24, 18:28)staknhalo Wrote: This is what currently appears on Assinhtpc's ebay page (linked at bottom):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Fire-TV-S...Sw-vlVgbyU

Here's an archive of the page in case it is edited by Assassin (the second product image is the offending one): http://archive.is/X2Qzj

(2016-02-25, 03:34)smitbret Wrote: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..... so unless none of you have ever ripped a DVD in violation of the DMCA........

I read the announcement on the Kodi homepage and I completely understand why that stance had to be taken. I would hate having my project dragged through the mud and have no personal recourse, but it certainly seemed like Assassin complied with it very quickly. There's no doubt that his actions cross an ethical line, but I don't think he is the kind of guy you think he is. I have followed his posts across several boards and I don't recall him ever condoning piracy or any other illegal act. Yes, he makes money off of custom HTPC but he has devoted hours and hours to helping DIYers and posting page after page of useful info for anyone to use free of charge. He has personally answered some of my questions about HTPC/Media Servers over the last 3 or 4 years and although I can't say for certain that he's not a piece of crap, I would feel safe putting my money on "A pretty good guy that made a bad decision".

I am 100% sure he did not act maliciously. He screwed up, you've kicked him and had your fun at his expense. Let it go already. The tone of the thread is starting to trend more about the character of the critics and less about the perpetrator. You guys are better than that.

If you've followed this stuff across multiple boards then you would see what type of company they are. Constantly saying one thing then being proven wrong right after. They KNOWINGLY sold and promoted piracy and have been for quite some time now. Only now after being called out in at least 2 forums that I know of has he been back peddling and changing some things here and there. If you take the time to read some of the feedback of buyers of their bundles you'll see them talking about how they are watching anything and everything they ever wanted to see, for free. I personally will not cut this company any slack as they are contributing to stealing other people's work. All the help he may or may not provide doesn't wash away the bad IMO. They knew what they were doing and they wouldn't probably even have a business that took off if it wasn't for supplying the means for illegal content in the first place. I also believe he just posted guides to help get their name out there. I believe they do it to draw attention to their business, not because they wanna help.

It's just a matter of time before companies just throw in the hat and stop making content because everyone just steals it. Movies will be shot on cellphones with terrible A/V quality because they don't wanna put millions of dollars into something that will just be pirated on the internet. Yes, I am exaggerating to make a point but you know what I mean.
The argument is very simple, Kodi is open source, he's free to mutilate anyway he wants but don't associate Kodi with piracy.
Which he was knowingly doing, and was called out on. He might not have been using bright neon lights to broadcast it, but was more signaling people over to hand them pamphlets in an alley.
(2016-02-25, 03:34)smitbret Wrote: I have followed his posts across several boards and I don't recall him ever condoning piracy or any other illegal act.

I am 100% sure he did not act maliciously.

His action speaks louder than words. And you're entitle to your opinion.
(2016-02-25, 03:34)smitbret Wrote: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..... so unless none of you have ever ripped a DVD in violation of the DMCA........

Those are both terrible examples. Ripping a DVD you own is not in the same ballpark, hell not in the same continent as helping people stream movies and TV shows with piracy addons.

(2016-02-25, 03:34)smitbret Wrote: I read the announcement on the Kodi homepage and I completely understand why that stance had to be taken. I would hate having my project dragged through the mud and have no personal recourse, but it certainly seemed like Assassin complied with it very quickly. There's no doubt that his actions cross an ethical line, but I don't think he is the kind of guy you think he is. I have followed his posts across several boards and I don't recall him ever condoning piracy or any other illegal act. Yes, he makes money off of custom HTPC but he has devoted hours and hours to helping DIYers and posting page after page of useful info for anyone to use free of charge. He has personally answered some of my questions about HTPC/Media Servers over the last 3 or 4 years and although I can't say for certain that he's not a piece of crap, I would feel safe putting my money on "A pretty good guy that made a bad decision".

He continues to deny ever promoting piracy when he clearly and unambiguously was doing so by using the banned addons to promote his product. The screenshots and the marketing text on the website was promoting the ability to use Kodi to stream content through those addons.

If he's provided hardware advice and technical support for users that's great, but it doesn't change any of the other facts. If someone wants to pirate content go right ahead. If someone wants to help others pirate content go right ahead. But don't lie about it, and don't harm Kodi's brand (and all of the people who have volunteered to make Kodi what it is) by doing it
All depends on where you live where i live its ok to rip a dvd that you purchased so if your looking on having that discussion start another thread cause this thread is about Trademark and GPL violations.

still waiting on the source Assassinhtpc time to fork it over a pm isnt good enough read the license
(2016-02-25, 03:34)smitbret Wrote: Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..... so unless none of you have ever ripped a DVD in violation of the DMCA.......

In the UK it is quite legal to rip copies of DVDs or CDs for your own purposes and has been for quite some time now. As long as you don't distribute said copies it is all good.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2016-02-22, 18:18)Assassinhtpc Wrote: Yes, we started on AVS forum and have been helping people get into HTPCs for the better part of a century now

I did not realise that there was computers 100 years ago? Wow I am impressed you must be time travellers.
(2016-02-25, 16:14)Assassinhtpc Wrote: source
We have not movfied the source yet.

so your infringing trademark, nice move stupid saying that you modified kodi when all you did was slap shitty addons it learn the difference

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Assassin HTPC selling Kodi bundled with banned addons0