Linux remote kodi
(2016-01-24, 16:30)thegrinch Wrote: Vénember, you do not seem to understand some basic principles of how these technologies work. First, I never used x11vnc but it seems to be similar to WinVNC, as it's able to provide a remote view of a physical desktop. For a video "surface" to be transferred effectively over low bandwidth (compared to most LANs nowadays) WAN links, it needs to be effectively compressed. There is no way around it to achieve a high quality video image. To use a remote desktop viewer for playing back such a video, the remoting technology needs to recompress it. Otherwise you get a slide show and choppy audio, if anything at all. Are you absolutely positive that x11vnc is able to effectively recompress any video displayed on your server (a part of the desktop), without quality loss? In that case, it might be a viable option. If the answer is definite no or no information, then you should just follow other's prior advice in this thread. Test with another player first on your server to make sure.

Personally, I don't see much point in doing that, since as others also mentioned, you can transfer or share the Kodi library with other clients. And then it boils down to simple file transfers over the WAN network and all should be good.

Smile
1. "Vénember, you do not seem to understand some basic principles of how these technologies work. "
Maybe. But i know what I want.
2- "First, I never used x11vnc but it seems to be similar to WinVNC,"
NO.
3. "provide a remote view of a physical desktop."
Lots of remote software can not support REAL display, Vnc also.
4. " To use a remote desktop viewer for playing back such a video,"
I do not play video, but organize and reach my media. Like the Plex does.
5. "you can transfer or share the Kodi library with other clients."
If you have lots of media it is practically impossible. And I can not reach KODI remotely, do you understand?
Why do you need kodi to organise your media on the remote machine? That is not the function of kodi.

Simply use the command line to organise your media. Or use filebot over SSH/vnc to organise your media.

Then use a normal network protocol to access the actual media for playback.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-01-25, 23:13)nickr Wrote: Why do you need kodi to organise your media on the remote machine? That is not the function of kodi.

Simply use the command line to organise your media. Or use filebot over SSH/vnc to organise your media.

Then use a normal network protocol to access the actual media for playback.

1. I see.
2. Because I wanted to use such media manager software like the Plex (or Emby), just in free type. Plex is a client-server solution.

Please finish the questionnaire and concentrate to answer my introducing question if somebody can solve it. It is a pure software problem, not architectural.
I think you are confused. Install emby server, install emby for Kodi repository, install emby-for-kodi add-on. Sync and manage all media via emby Web interface.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2016-01-26, 13:15)bry- Wrote: I think you are confused. Install emby server, install emby for Kodi repository, install emby-for-kodi add-on. Sync and manage all media via emby Web interface.

"Step 1: Download the Emby for Kodi repository.

a. Stable Repository
b. Beta Repository

Step 2: Open Kodi."

But I can not open Kodi, my friend....
Who is confused?
(2016-01-27, 19:00)venember Wrote: Step 2: Open Kodi."

But I can not open Kodi, my friend....
Who is confused?
Thing is, nobody understands why you want to run kodi from 40km away.

Unless you've got a really really big screen...?
I think I get it. He is not trying to play videos using Kodi at all. He just wants it to be the backend.

Plain and simple, Kodi simply is not designed to run in this configuration. Kodi cannot transcode, so even if you got this to work, you would most likely have playback issues. Plex and Emby can both handle transcoding.

As to your initial question... if you (or somebody local to the PC) hooked a monitor and keyboard to the Opensuse PC does Kodi launch? If so, then it is something x11vnc is doing with the display settings.

Edit: Nevermind

(2016-01-25, 21:24)venember Wrote: 5. "you can transfer or share the Kodi library with other clients."
If you have lots of media it is practically impossible. And I can not reach KODI remotely, do you understand?

That sounds like you ARE trying to get video and audio to play through x11vnc.... good luck with that.
This is my LAST post in this thread, if somebody do not understand, I am very sorry:

The Kodi said that he does not open the software if the driver is not an accelerated driver. I was fighting with the problem for months, there was success, I have this, reached remotely:

When I am able to open Kodi from remote, he starts, shows one picture, then crashes. I want to know WHY, the bug report is in the first post.
I do not want to answer to any other question moreover for those people who do not read the whole thread.

ONLY, ONLY, ONLY that is interesting for me: what causes the crash?
AND I DO NOT WANT TO USE KODI PLAYER REMOTELY AT ALL, I have seen the result. I have already a working client server solution (Plex plus Emby under test).
Good luck.
Lots of speech, no knowledge.
The problem is you are trying to use a media player which just happens to have some functions that allow for library management has a standalone library management tool. Kodi was never primarily designed to manage media libraries (especially not remotely). Its like trying to use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. Use the right software for the right job and you wont have any problems, Kodi for playing back the media and emby or something else to remotely manage the library.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
remote kodi0