Anyway to make 2D movies as SBS monoscopic for gearvr
Stereoscopic video files (SBS) work excellent with the gearvr. Disable gearvr service, have a bt controller, launch kodi, play your 3d movie.

Is there a way for kodi to show a 2d movie as a SBS monoscopic movie?
Settings -> System -> Video output -> Stereoscopic 3D mode
(2016-01-23, 22:07)Ned Scott Wrote: Settings -> System -> Video output -> Stereoscopic 3D mode
Hi Ned, yes that is what I've already done... but as soon as I try to play a 2d movie it reverts to one image. I meant in my OP I want two images for video playback.
That should work there as well, but I think it's a limitation of the way hardware video decoding is done on Android. You can probably get past it by just using software decoding (disable mediacodec, etc), if the CPU can handle that.
Ah!
Thanks Ned (and for everything else you do for kodi & the foundation)

To get side by side video of regular 2D video, I did have to disable mediacodec (there were two choices, one was labeled surface, so I did disable both).

To get gearVR working with my s6 i did the following.

Install android app to disable the gearvr service (I am using DisableService), unselect all the boxes in the system app gear vr service do disable oculus when the phone is plugged into the gearvr.

on your phone install the 16rc or 17alpha.

kodi settings
system > video > Playback > playback mode: monoscopic 2d.
system > video > Playback > disable stereoscopic 3d mode when playback ends
system > video > Acceleration > disable allow hardware acceleration (x2)
system > system > video output > steroscopic 3d: side by side
system > system > video output > preferred mode side by side

Now for some testing to see how well the phone will do with battery life.
Please try with only mediacodec(surface) disabled. It *should* work, too, and still get you the benefit of accelerated decoding.
At least, if it doesn't work, it is fixable by us.
(2016-01-25, 09:05)Koying Wrote: Please try with only mediacodec(surface) disabled. It *should* work, too, and still get you the benefit of accelerated decoding.
At least, if it doesn't work, it is fixable by us.
Yes, can confirm that enabling mediacodec but disabling mediacode(surface) works correctly (a regular 2d video showing two images, when SBS is setup first).

Thanks.
(s6, 5.1.1)
I want to do this as well. I think I'm following the above instructions correctly, but it always disables 3D mode when a video stream starts to play. I'm trying to use it with the Exodus add-on. I'm running Kodi v16 on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. The interface is duplicated side-by-side. I select a file to stream and get "working" as it buffers. I then get "Stereoscopic 3D disabled" and the interface flips back to a single view. If I go back to system > system > video output > steroscopic 3d:mode has changed to Monoscopic / 2d. I've a few other things, but I can never get the actual video to play SBS, even if the interface will stay SBS, the video plays behind it was one image.
klef25

I was only able to get it to work disabling both options under acceleration from billyvinilly's post. I believe I run 16, its on a S6.
Iv tried disabling both acceleration options but still getting normal full screen 2d when 3d sbs is enabled. Ithe kodi controls and menu etc go into sbs mode but the video output doesn't. The above below mode works OK just can't geet sbs going. Have tried setting sbs to proffered mode to no avail too. Running 16.1 from the Google play store on android Samsung s6. Any suggestions appreciated as this would be awesome to get working with the gear.
I am having the same issue. I have a Gear VR with an S6. I disabled the Oculus service, installed Kodi nightly 17 [ as ofd Oct 1 2016] and am trying to get steroscopic 3d to work so I can view on the Gear VR. When I load a video the menu appears in split-view but I cannot get the movie itself to appear in split-view, the picture spans the whole screen. If I enable the option to swap left and right from the 3d settings area menu, the screen does split but obviously its not usable. I have acceleration disabled.

Has anyone had any luck since the last response?

Thank you,
gromano
I am having the exact same issue. Has anyone gotten this to work? It would be great to watch kodi on the GearVR through the android app rather than streaming it through PC .
I got this to work, but every time I reboot kodi, it just goes back to 2d mode again. Mine didn't work if I set the video format to side by side, but with auto. I set the system to show as side by side, this is the setting that resets to default each time I reload kodi. By setting this to side by side and the video format to auto, it works for both 2d movies and 3d movies, if you're viewing through a headset.
Hi,
I have 17.0 Kodi on Android 6. I tried every combinations of the hints.
- mediacodec (surface) on/off
- mediacodec on/off
- 3D auto/SBS
Exit the program end restart before setup.
Every time i got the same result. The control surface was going to SBS, but the video still remained in full screen.

Is there any other solution, hint?
Thanks
Anyone ever get this working? I lose 3d SBS after trying to launch my video url as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyway to make 2D movies as SBS monoscopic for gearvr0