Req Recording Timer Settings: NEGATIVE Start Padding Time option
I need to be able to set Start padding time in the Timer settings dialog to a negative number of minutes. Why?
Because sports games, especially football games, often go beyond their designated end time and FUBAR the EPG, sometimes knocking it almost an hour out of alignment.

This can be a real problem when there's a marathon of new shows following the game, such as on Sundays on CBS when you have 60 Minutes, Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, and CSI Cyber all airing after it. Yes, I can set the End padding time to compensate, but all four of those shows end up taking up nearly twice as much space as they should on the server hard drive, and have most of the previous show occupying that space, which is just plain stupid.

However, if I had the option of setting a negative number of start padding time minutes, then only the first show that immediately follows the game would end up taking up an excess amount of space, but the others could be adjusted so that they only take up as much space as they would if the EPG hadn't been screwed up by the damn game. In the example above, only 60 Minutes would take up extra space, while Madam Secretary, The Good Wife, and CSI Cyber would all take up their usual hour worth of space.

In fact, I think that Start padding time should use a spinner instead of a list, and that spinner should range from -180 to 180 and start at zero. The End padding time should also use a spinner instead of a list, one that ranges from 0 to 180.

That way I could precisely control when the program starts and ends right down to the minute so that the recording takes up the least amount of space possible on the hard drive and doesn't include anything other than the show itself, not bits of the other shows that preceded and followed it.
Posing this in one thread is enough.
(2016-01-27, 09:00)ksooo Wrote: Posing this in one thread is enough.

Yes, and I apologize for creating that first thread, as I did so a little too hastily. I realize now that this is probably the more appropriate sub-forum for this topic.

I really want this feature to be implemented, and I think I've already worked out most of the code that would need to be changed in order to implement it.

The static integer array marginTimeValues within the static CPVRSettings::MarginTimeFiller function would need to be expanded to include the new negative values:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/82bd1c...ttings.cpp

The m_iMarginStart and m_iMarginEnd fields in the CGUIDialogPVRTimerSettings class would have to be changed from unsigned integers to signed integers:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/82bd1c...Settings.h

The m_iMarginStart and m_iMarginEnd fields in the CPVRTimerInfoTag class would have to be changed from unsigned integers to signed integers, as would the return values of the MarginStart and MarginEnd inline functions, and the arguments of the SetMarginStart and SetMarginEnd inline functions:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/3bdfc2...rInfoTag.h

Is that it, or would more have to be changed for this work (aside from the PVR plugins needing to be updated)?
PVR add-on API needs to be changed. Currently, the padding values are unsigned int.

Another important question to answer is whether there are pvr backends available that actually provide the functionality of negative padding values.

And as not every backend will support this, you need to design a way for the add-on to tell Kodi whet this feature is supported (aka add-on capabilities). This is also an API change.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recording Timer Settings: NEGATIVE Start Padding Time option0