Shield TV Volume Control with Amazon Fire TV Remote
I'm running Kodi v16 (beta, need to update to RC2) on my Shield TV. I finally got around to buying a Fire TV Voice Remote yesterday and got it working. I haven't remapped buttons yet, but I'm trying to figure out how to handle volume controls. I see on the Kodi Wiki page, it looks like the best solution is the poor man's volume which I don't like the idea of. Is there any better options than that on the Shield? I'd like for it to either control the volume of the Shield itself or the volume of my speakers.

Right now my speakers are some Logitech computer speakers using optical, but I need to upgrade to a newer home theater setup to make this work right, well that would be a good justification Smile
The Shield can do real volume control with the Amazon remote. It's only the Fire TV box and stick that are limited. Use this one, since you are using v16: https://github.com/NedScott/test/blob/ma...volume.xml

Just note that this is Kodi's app volume control, and not system-wide volume.
As much as I would love to have a bluetooth remote that works out of the box with Shield, its frustrating that there is not one out there that handles volume control and other Kodi functions I want to see in a remote. I was thinking about the new FTV remote as well but it wont do volume control for other apps. I gave up and will stay with FLIRC for now.

Wish there was a better, completer bluetooth remote option for SATV. Their own remote looks great and works great but its very very limited.
Yeah, the remote market is full of "almost there"s one way or another. It's very frustrating.
(2016-02-01, 18:15)ozkhan1 Wrote: As much as I would love to have a bluetooth remote that works out of the box with Shield, its frustrating that there is not one out there that handles volume control and other Kodi functions I want to see in a remote. I was thinking about the new FTV remote as well but it wont do volume control for other apps. I gave up and will stay with FLIRC for now.

Wish there was a better, completer bluetooth remote option for SATV. Their own remote looks great and works great but its very very limited.

So far I really like the FTV voice remote, and it scored very high on the wife scale also. If you're interested, the FTV is on sale right now for $40, and it looked like people were selling the FTV stick without remote on ebay for $20-30, so I'm hoping to recoup some money there.

(2016-02-01, 18:35)Ned Scott Wrote: Yeah, the remote market is full of "almost there"s one way or another. It's very frustrating.

I can't believe there isn't anything better, I guess the market just isn't big enough for someone to really go after it. I had this same problem with my old WMC box. The remote was good but lacked some critical features. I originally bought a Rii i25 for this, but I never even fully set it up because I can't stand how cheap the remote feels.
(2016-02-01, 18:55)jsteinm1 Wrote:
(2016-02-01, 18:15)ozkhan1 Wrote: As much as I would love to have a bluetooth remote that works out of the box with Shield, its frustrating that there is not one out there that handles volume control and other Kodi functions I want to see in a remote. I was thinking about the new FTV remote as well but it wont do volume control for other apps. I gave up and will stay with FLIRC for now.

So far I really like the FTV voice remote, and it scored very high on the wife scale also. If you're interested, the FTV is on sale right now for $40, and it looked like people were selling the FTV stick without remote on ebay for $20-30, so I'm hoping to recoup some money there.

(2016-02-01, 18:35)Ned Scott Wrote: Yeah, the remote market is full of "almost there"s one way or another. It's very frustrating.

I can't believe there isn't anything better, I guess the market just isn't big enough for someone to really go after it. I had this same problem with my old WMC box. The remote was good but lacked some critical features. I originally bought a Rii i25 for this, but I never even fully set it up because I can't stand how cheap the remote feels.

No I have an FTV and I rarely use the remote. I want something mainly for Kodi and quite honestly, I would prefer a qwerty keyboard over a voice remote.

My ideal remote would be bluetooth, backlit, has a qwerty keyboard, customizable buttons for Kodi, programmable power and volume buttons for the TV so I dont have to keep the tv remote close.

So far I have not seen one that fits the bill, though there are tons out there, like Ned said that fall under the "almost there" category.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shield TV Volume Control with Amazon Fire TV Remote0