Anyone heard of the HomeWorx HWA5000?
I was surfing the web looking for a USB ATSC tuner with an eye on spotting a Hauppauge 950 for less than $100CDN when I spotted this item locally on Kijiji Halifax. It seems to have a lot in one box for the price. (Note that prices are in Canadian Dollars).

It's being sold at BestBuy.ca and TheSource.ca for $199. It appears to be a recent addition because I have found no reviews on it.

I am new to using OTA and Kodi and am waiting for a Raspberry-Pi2 that I ordered from Amazon.ca to arrive and in the meantime have been investigating OTA and find to record OTA programs using RPi2 I need a USB ATSC tuner, but from my layman's perspective this unit seems to have both the functionality of RPi2 and an ATSC tuner in one box for a great price.

Do any of the members have any knowledge of the HomeWorx HWA5000? Does it have the functionality of the 2 units in one box? And does it run Kodi effectively?

EDIT - No sign of it on either Amazon.ca or .com. The company name looks like it's Mediasonic and they make ATSC Digital converters.

HomeWorx HWA5000 FREE Vu ATSC Live TV tuner Android mediaplayer

Item 886 Special Introductory Price: $125 Brand New.
Compare at $199.95

HomeWorx HWA5000 FREE Vu digital Terrestrial ATSC Tuner IP Internet TV Box with Live TV & MediaPlayer for Android
4 GB storage, 1 GB ram, 4K, Quad-core

4K ULTRAHD
chrome
Miracastâ„¢
You Tube
facebook
DOLBY TRUEHD
Quad Core
xbmc Media Center
KODI
ATSC LIVE TV

PVR ready via USB port
MP3 Playback JPEG Photo Imageview
EPG Electronic Programme Guide

Live TV Features:
ATSC HD channel support
MPEG-HD, H-264/AVC HD, FULL HD 1080p
1000 Channels TV and Radio programmable
5 different favourite groups selections
Multi-Language support English, French, etc.
Dolby Digital Audio
HD 1.3 interface support

Android Features and Specs:
Mobile Android RCU via Same TV screen
KODI XBMC optimized
Built-in WiFi & WiFi Hot Spot
Miracast mirroring STB<->TV
DLNA Digital Living Network Alliance support
Web server support Samba
Built-in 4G EMMC & 1G RAM
CPU: Powerful Hi-silicon chipset
Supports Android market
Web browsing/Web mail access
Internet Online Video streaming
Supports 2.4G wireless mouse & keyboard
Youtube & APPs installation

UPC: 0 40087 25429 3

Made in China.
Designed in Korea.
RPi2 - OpenELEC v6.0.3 - Kodi v15 - HDHR Connect HDHR4-2US(CA) v2015.11.09
Quote:Hi-silicon

I wouldn't touch it.
(2016-02-07, 12:04)Ned Scott Wrote:

I wouldn't touch it.
Well with absolutely no reviews at all and no recommendations, I'm not ready to try it either!
The easiest solution is a hdhomerun extend or connect
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
(2016-02-07, 13:41)bry- Wrote: The easiest solution is a hdhomerun extend or connect
In Canada I can only find the hdhomerun at Amazon.ca. The Extend is $210 and the Connect is $144. While the RPi2 I ordered is $90 and checking prices for the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q is $120 for a $211 total.

I keep technology purchases a relatively long time (until their functionality has passed) so I like to make sure that I get it reasonably right the first time.

So am I correct that the hdhomerun has the functionality of the RPi2 and an ATSC tuner in one box? And does if do justice to both OTA recording and Kodi?
The amazon write up mentions recording to a PC while my understanding was the RPi2 records internally. So in your post did you mean the hdhomerun as a better ATSC tuner than the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q and not a RPi2 replacement?

EDIT - If so, keep in mind at the max I'll only be able to get 3 OTA channels.

EDIT2 - I just want to make sure that the RPi2 and probably the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-955Q are the best for my money and circumstance.
(And reasonably priced availability in Canada - unfortunately many retailers overcharge way beyond simple exchange rates on Amazon.ca.)
Pi 2 + this should work great and be a lot cheaper: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6815260023
(2016-02-08, 01:00)Ned Scott Wrote: Pi 2 + this should work great and be a lot cheaper: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6815260023
That is a great price. Thanks Ned!
How do you conclude this is not good? Tried it? Analysed the Hi-silicon specs?Huh

(2016-02-07, 12:04)Ned Scott Wrote:

I wouldn't touch it.
In what way is this better than the HWA-5000?Huh
Does it also have an ATSC section? How does it work with an analog TV? Can it work on a network?

(2016-02-08, 01:00)Ned Scott Wrote: Pi 2 + this should work great and be a lot cheaper: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6815260023

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone heard of the HomeWorx HWA5000?0