Skylake Pentium G4400 for HTPC?
So, I made the mistake of re-encoding most of my video library to HEVC 10bit BEFORE doing my research. Apparently, Kodi (as of now) does not support 10bit hardware decoding. I was wondering if the G4400 would be a strong enough candidate to play my 10bit files with an external player such as MPC-HC configured in my playercorefactory.xml? It supposedly supports 10bit HW decoding, but I haven't had much luck finding out how well iIHDP 510 graphics fare when decoding 10bit files. If not, I'll just make the bump to the i3 6100.
I would buy the i3-6100T for HTPC.
(2016-02-14, 12:55)RamboUnchained Wrote: So, I made the mistake of re-encoding most of my video library to HEVC 10bit BEFORE doing my research. Apparently, Kodi (as of now) does not support 10bit hardware decoding. I was wondering if the G4400 would be a strong enough candidate to play my 10bit files with an external player such as MPC-HC configured in my playercorefactory.xml? It supposedly supports 10bit HW decoding, but I haven't had much luck finding out how well iIHDP 510 graphics fare when decoding 10bit files. If not, I'll just make the bump to the i3 6100.
I've played 10 bit HEVC without a problem on my computer through Kodi, no need to go through an external player. Unless you insist on having a 10 bit output to your TV, it should work. Software decoding on my PC though.

Personally I'd just have a bit of patience, as 10 bit HEVC supporting processors keep popping up...
Pulling the trigger on a $300 system soon.

Skylake G4400
4GB Crucial DDR4 2133
120GB Silicon Power SSD
Asrock H110-ITX/ac
Antek ISK 110 w/ PICO PSU.

I'm actually going to build one for my living room and for my bedroom. Roughly $600. I started to go the Android or NUC route, but I knew I wouldn't get the functionality that I wanted our of either. I hate Android TV interfaces with a passion and my systems came out to be waaaay cheaper than 2 NUCs with more storage and hardware decoding of at least 8bit HEVC. Worst case scenario is I'll have to use UMS to transcode 10bit videos on my gaming system before sending them to my HTPCs.
I'd go for a Braswell mini itx. Then I'd replace the board with a broxton mini itx ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-02-15, 17:08)fritsch Wrote: I'd go for a Braswell mini itx. Then I'd replace the board with a broxton mini itx ...

I thought about grabbing a N3700 SOC, but it still lacks full HW decoding of even 8bit HEVC. Also, none of the boards I came across included a Optical/Toslink connection. The board + CPU I'm purchasing are about $122 together, which is roughly what I would have paid for a high-end SOC anyway. Plus, I get immediate HDMI 2.0 for when I grab my 4kTV when prices drop without the need to upgrade again. I also can upgrade the CPU at a later time, and throw a discrete GPU in the PCIE lane to make it a gaming PC. Just too many possibilities to pass up. I'm a tinkerer, so it's bound to happen eventually lol.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skylake Pentium G4400 for HTPC?0