Streaming Netflix and watching local media (on NAS)
I used to have a WD Live which worked perfectly, but it died last week... and since then I have been looking to buy a replacement, my requirements are:
- Streaming Netflix
- Playing local media off my WD MyBook Live (NAS)

From what I have been reading it sounds like the best solution (for the price) would be an Android TV box. But before I buy one I wanted to confirm (never perfectly clear) that it can:
- Stream Netflix like my WD TV Live could
- Access my WD MyBooks Live (NAS) without the need of a media server (like Plex or something), this is what worries me the most, with the WD I would just browse the Windows Share on the NAS and could play any of my media in pretty much any format

Right now I am was looking at either an MXQ Pro or M8S Plus...
Does anyone own either, if so can they confirm it will be a suitable replacement, otherwise if there are any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.
Nvidia shield TV. I love mine Smile
(2016-02-15, 19:29)wyild1 Wrote: Nvidia shield TV. I love mine Smile

Way to expensive Smile
Keep in mind no Android boxes can do Netflix in HD since it's not approved for it, so you'll be in SD quality. It's either WD live, Roku, or Shield TV really to get HD capable netflix.
Wetek core does Netflix in HD
(2016-02-16, 09:20)tredman Wrote: Wetek core does Netflix in HD

Yes, one does.
(2016-02-16, 23:25)getochkn Wrote:
(2016-02-16, 09:20)tredman Wrote: Wetek core does Netflix in HD

Yes, one does.

What about something like the Samsung 3D Blu-ray Player with 4K Upscaling & Wi-Fi (BD-H6500/ZC), will the netflix be HD with that?
(2016-02-16, 07:24)getochkn Wrote: Keep in mind no Android boxes can do Netflix in HD since it's not approved for it, so you'll be in SD quality. It's either WD live, Roku, or Shield TV really to get HD capable netflix.

Does that apply to the Nexus Player as well?
It can't do it HD either?
Amazon FireTV has Netflix as native app and yes you can stream off your NAS.
The Nvidia Shield is the only Android device certified for 4K with Netflix. Tons of devices support HD streams with Netflix.

If all you want is Netflix and streaming from a DLNA capable NAS, your best option is to use something like a Roku, since Netflix is spotty with Kodi, and other devices will give better integration.
(2016-02-17, 08:15)rpcameron Wrote: The Nvidia Shield is the only Android device certified for 4K with Netflix. Tons of devices support HD streams with Netflix.

If all you want is Netflix and streaming from a DLNA capable NAS, your best option is to use something like a Roku, since Netflix is spotty with Kodi, and other devices will give better integration.

As far as I know the ROKU cannot stream from a DLNA capable NAS, requires you to have a PLEX server (which means a another PC running at all times), if it wasn't for this limitation I would have bought the Roku already Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming Netflix and watching local media (on NAS)0