Linux What performance to expect from Kodi?
I am wondering what performance one can expect from Kodi? I tried to have Kodi handle my music library with some 9000 albums in it, but it falls through - at least on my NAS (QNAP HS-251) using the HD Player skin. I tried to switch to Artist view, and Kodi got lost in the spinning wheel for almost 8 minutes before responding to keyboard or mouse input. The kodi.bin process was constantly running at almost 80% the whole time.Then, when something finally showed up on my TV - (the screenshot link below shows you what happened) when I tried to scroll down the alphabet in my music library. When I stopped scrolling, Kodi used almost a minute before it was able to catch up. I could not find any way to search for Artists or Albums. I don't know if this is a Kodi limitation or a skin limitation. How can one enjoy a music library with no search function?

Kodi Screenshot

I guess I have to revert back to Logitech Media Server again. It is truly capable of handling large libraries with near instant on-screen response - on the same HW. But, regretfully - it cannot play back through the NAS HDMI interface in a decent manner. That's why I wanted to try Kodi in the first place. And I must admit, I liked the QNAP skin, and I've tried a number of other skins as well. But as long as Kodi is incapable of handling more albums than you can remember by heart, then it makes no sense. so, I'm disappointed. But I hold the possibility open that I may have done something wrong. How else can so many great individuals choose to use Kodi as their favorite HTPC companion?

My NAS has 4 TB RAID0, 2,5GHz Intel CPU 2GB RAM etc. etc. so this is not a HW issue.....
I'd love to hear your experience with Kodi before I give up - but please, no video, TV or movie stuff. I'm only interested in music.
add your music by right click -> add to library so kodi don't need to read all the metadata again.
Music 
Yes, well - after hours of trial and error I found that the HD Player Skin developed by QNAP is no good. I disabled all multimedia settings and "features" inside QTS and stopped all the crApps they call "stations" except HD station which is needed to run Kodi on the HDMI interface (I think).
The result was a huge burden loaded off the poor NAS which for the first time actual had a disk spindown Tongue
The HD Player skin began to complain about everything and tried to lure me to activate the Media library again, so I reverted back to the standard Kodi skin. A new world opened up to me!! Blush

I apologize for all the grumpy remarks about Kodi which I mistakenly thought was to blame for the poor performance. It turns out this was very wrong.
Now I'm letting Kodi scan my library of 9000 albums. It does take time - for sure, probably between 2-3 hours, but if it holds up when (if) it finishes, I'll give it a change to stay.

Thanks for your advice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What performance to expect from Kodi?0