• 5(current)
Raspberry pi3 release soon ?
Just had an update that my upcoming PiTop Ceed is now going to be coming with a Pi3 rather than a Pi2.

Me a happy bunny about that Smile
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Has somebody already an speed comparison of more complex skins? Is it worth to upgrade from a Pi2?
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
Is it possible to enable soft-AP mode under OpenELEC? I'd like to link a Pi with my NAS using a crossover cable to create a mini offline network. The native BCM43134 adapter offers that feature, but hostapd and udhcpd need to be installed. If we can get soft-AP mode running, does anyone know if it's capable of WPA2-AES as host rather than just when client?

Ooh, and with the extra horsepower available maybe it'll be possible to get IVTC (for 29.97i DVDs) and/or reverse 3:2 pull-down (for 29.97p DVDs). Progressive 24fps playback of the huge back-catalog of Region One DVDs would be amazing. A man can dream... Blush

EDIT: It looks like the Pi 3 is using the BCM43438 WiFi chip. I haven't been able to find whether that supports SoftAP mode.
Will the new RPi 3 support bitstream audio?
(2016-02-29, 15:35)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 12:51)jurm Wrote: Does this new pi3 play x265 yet?

It plays it the same way that previous Pis do. Existing Pis have GPU compute accelerated (but not VPU hardware decoded) HEVC decoding I believe - so it's GPU+CPU rather than VPU (which is what does MPEG2, VC-1 and H264 on the Pis). The Pi 2 B is doing HEVC at 720p and modest bitrate 1080p I believe. The New Pi 3 may well increase the bitrate ceiling for HEVC 1080p content with the faster CPU and GPU - and may also benefit from some optimisations down the line?

Also the new Pi 3 has default overclock (so probably not considered overclock?) for the VPU - so can now reliably decode H264 1080/60p apparently.

had been hoping they would update the video chip as the current Pi2 - while a great value - exhibits too much color banding in video playback. done several A/B tests and the pi2 seems to render @ 16bit color, or something else is causing the banding.

will deal with it. the 3D MVC playback is enough to keep me in the Pi camp until JRiver completes their 3d MVC playback
(2016-02-29, 17:56)TheShoe Wrote: had been hoping they would update the video chip as the current Pi2 - while a great value - exhibits too much color banding in video playback. done several A/B tests and the pi2 seems to render @ 16bit color, or something else is causing the banding.

I bet something else is causing the banding, most likely accumulated rounding error from video processing (e.g. multiple colorspace conversions). 24-bit video doesn't really have any headroom to be manipulated without visible artifacts, particularly banding, occurring. Ideally, the Pi would perform as few operations as possible and do them all at higher bit-depths.

Does anyone know if the Pi does all of its calculations in 8-bit/channel or higher (e.g. 32-bit float)?
(2016-02-29, 16:24)natethomas Wrote: Here's a quick video I just made showing the Pi3 running OpenELEC. This build is from a week or two ago though, so I hadn't gotten Bluetooth up and running yet.

I can see quite a lot of combing in your 1080i clips which is not present in your 1080p clip. Not sure if it's in the encoding of your Youtube video but seems to me a false film deinterlacing error. There was lots of mixed graphics in the material which could have caused it, but either way it was far from perfect.
Disappointed Sad was hoping we would finally get gig network on it. Glad of the wifi but N is in the past as everything I have is running on AC wifi.
One HTPC Windows 7 pro 64x running WMC with 2 HDhomeRun on Comcast 6 tuners with MCEbuddy
WD MyCloud 24TB over Netgear network | 6500 movies and 40,000+ TV Show episodes
one of the big things here also is that you can boot directly from usb with no need of an SD card.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/pi-3-interview/

scroll down to USB and pxe network boot
(2016-02-29, 18:36)Glockyyy Wrote: I can see quite a lot of combing in your 1080i clips which is not present in your 1080p clip. Not sure if it's in the encoding of your Youtube video but seems to me a false film deinterlacing error. There was lots of mixed graphics in the material which could have caused it, but either way it was far from perfect.

I think he was referring to there being no dropped frames or stuttering. It's unlikely that the Pi 3B has enough processing power to software decode 1080i video and de-interlace the output. You'll need an MPEG-2 license for that.

The Pi 2B can already de-interlace (YADIF 2x) 1080i MPEG-2 video with the license. IMO, the more interesting metric will be how far they can push h.265 software decoding.
(2016-02-29, 19:57)ZwartePiet Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 18:36)Glockyyy Wrote: I can see quite a lot of combing in your 1080i clips which is not present in your 1080p clip. Not sure if it's in the encoding of your Youtube video but seems to me a false film deinterlacing error. There was lots of mixed graphics in the material which could have caused it, but either way it was far from perfect.

I think he was referring to there being no dropped frames or stuttering. It's unlikely that the Pi 3B has enough processing power to software decode 1080i video and de-interlace the output. You'll need an MPEG-2 license for that.

The Pi 2B can already de-interlace (YADIF 2x) 1080i MPEG-2 video with the license. IMO, the more interesting metric will be how far they can push h.265 software decoding.

Yep - think there was a little confusion between CBS being a 1080i station (so always broadcasting an interlaced signal) and the content within that signal being 1080i native. When Nate Thomas was talking about 'interlaced content' the material looked like a commercial, the vast majority of which will be native progressive 'film-'mode (shot 24p or occasionally 30p - though probably not actually on film), which won't have the same issues as native 60i interlaced 'video'.
I believe it throttles to reduce power/heat.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
(2016-02-29, 19:18)Rickt1962 Wrote: but N is in the past

Even N would be nice, but 300, not 150. It would give 40-50 mbit real speed (rtl8192 for example). 150n gives 20-25 (rtl8188).
(2016-02-29, 21:04)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 19:57)ZwartePiet Wrote:

Yep - think there was a little confusion between CBS being a 1080i station (so always broadcasting an interlaced signal) and the content within that signal being 1080i native. When Nate Thomas was talking about 'interlaced content' the material looked like a commercial, the vast majority of which will be native progressive 'film-'mode (shot 24p or occasionally 30p - though probably not actually on film), which won't have the same issues as native 60i interlaced 'video'.

Film material interlaced to 1080i should have been easier to deinterlace since it would have involved no interpolation of the material. The error was combing which was perhaps caused by the graphics on-screen confusing the deinterlacer into thinking it could straight weave when in fact it needed to interpolate (i.e. it needed to treat it as video not as film).Either way, net result is there were errors it was not handling it perfectly at all. Decoding license required. Doesn't take anything away from the new Pi, I know I have mine on order already!
(2016-03-01, 11:13)Glockyyy Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 21:04)noggin Wrote:
(2016-02-29, 19:57)ZwartePiet Wrote: I think he was referring to there being no dropped frames or stuttering. It's unlikely that the Pi 3B has enough processing power to software decode 1080i video and de-interlace the output. You'll need an MPEG-2 license for that.

Film material interlaced to 1080i should have been easier to deinterlace since it would have involved no interpolation of the material. The error was combing which was perhaps caused by the graphics on-screen confusing the deinterlacer into thinking it could straight weave when in fact it needed to interpolate (i.e. it needed to treat it as video not as film).Either way, net result is there were errors it was not handling it perfectly at all. Decoding license required. Doesn't take anything away from the new Pi, I know I have mine on order already!

In the US you get combing on native progressive 24p content in a 60i wrapper though - as you get video frames with fields from two different film source frames so you get combing on native progressive content if you just do a straight weave. (In Europe we only get this on out-of-phase transfers - which should be a thing of the past)

My Pi 3 arrived this morning. Threw in an OE 6.0.2 build and it is definitely snappier than my Pi 2s. I'll be buying the MPEG2 and VC-1 codecs. For the money they are definitely worth buying.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry pi3 release soon ?3