• 4(current)
Pi2 owners upgrading?
(2016-03-06, 22:15)MidnightWatcher Wrote: The speed bump is nice, but there is still no h265 support on the RPi3 hardware. It's still the same GPU as the RPi2. When it comes to what really matters, the RPi3 is essentially the same as the RPi2.

It's true there's no h265 hardware decode support but there's been a lot of software optimisations recently from the RPi Foundation that have made 1080p h265 decode successful on RPi2 (particularly when sdram is overclocked) and on RPi3 (stock speeds), with more optimisations planned. This h265 argument is really getting a little old - try some of the recent OpenELEC/Kodi 17 builds.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
For better or worse, what really matters to the Pi Foundation isn't Kodi unfortunately. How good it is at being a media player is a happy coincidence and not something they designed the Pi for. Whilst that is the case then it's only by luck or similar coincidence that we'll get hardware boosts that more demanding media playing requires.

The wider aim has always been education rather than media playing.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I have a PI 2 but have as yet no intentions of upgrading to the PI 3 as im only really using it to experiment with a few things just now
next project is GPS tracker but have not looked into it yet
(2016-03-07, 00:05)DarrenHill Wrote: For better or worse, what really matters to the Pi Foundation isn't Kodi unfortunately. How good it is at being a media player is a happy coincidence and not something they designed the Pi for. Whilst that is the case then it's only by luck or similar coincidence that we'll get hardware boosts that more demanding media playing requires.

The wider aim has always been education rather than media playing.

I do get that the goal of the Pi Foundation is for education. Nothing wrong with that goal. I've always wondered if they have ever considered making a special model of the Pi, that is focused on performance. Like a Pi C model or something. It wouldn't matter if it costs more than $35. It will still sell regardless. Not sure what's preventing them from doing that. The only think I can think of would be that the community base would be split, meaning tons of user created projects would be incompatible with low powered Pi's.
Can someone confirm if the 10w power supply from an iPad will suffice for the new pi3? I have a few laying around that I'm hoping to use. Thanks in advance.
(2016-03-07, 00:59)Canyaya Wrote: Can someone confirm if the 10w power supply from an iPad will suffice for the new pi3? I have a few laying around that I'm hoping to use. Thanks in advance.

Probably not under load - Apple chargers don't make good power supplies as they have too much voltage sag, with the output voltage dropping as low as 4.4V. They do have good current stability which is all you really need from a battery charger, but from a power supply you also need a stable voltage.

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-us...ower_curve
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
The problem is essentially the SOC GPU, which decodes VC1, MPEG2 and H.264 natively. Contrary to what is said above, there is a lot of co-operation with Kodi, one kodi dev works for the RPi foundation.

The trouble with moving on to another SOC (eg one capable of HEVC 4k/60 etc) is that a lot of the work that has gone into getting this one to work so well will need to be redone.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-03-06, 16:57)popcornmix Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 16:35)menakite Wrote:
(2016-03-06, 02:50)nooryani84 Wrote: The memory clocks speed was increased to 900MHz RAM up from 450Mhz on the Pi2 as well.
No?

No change here between Pi2 and Pi3. It has always been 450MHz DDR (double data rate, i.e. data is transferred on falling and rising edges of clocks).

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspbe...enchmarks/

I was just looking at this site and http://hackaday.com/2016/02/28/introduci...erry-pi-3/

RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)

Edit: For the record, I don't even think I've tried H.265 on any of my PCs yet. I think we're still a few years away from it superceding H.264. Aren't the benefits mainly space saving when it comes to 1080p content?
(2016-03-07, 02:41)nooryani84 Wrote: RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)

They're reporting the 900MHz *effective* rate, not the actual 450MHz clock rate.

(2016-03-07, 02:41)nooryani84 Wrote: Aren't the benefits mainly space saving when it comes to 1080p content?

Yep, pretty much.
Oh, sorry about that. Well I'm perfectly happy sticking with H.264 720/1080p, great for my needs! Smile
There will be a couple of things that will speed adoption of hevc and the need for hevc compatible hardware decoding.

1. 4K, where the benefits are more keenly felt; and

2. When ripping groups adopt hevc as standard, and downloaders find they need to get with the hevc thing.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I'm not interested in illegally downloading movies for my library, but I am interested in encoding Blu-rays I've purchased to h265 in order to reduce storage requirements. Be that as it may, since technology is rapidly moving forward to HEVC and 4K there needs to be an RPi solution to support it in hardware sooner rather than later, otherwise KODI users will start migrating to other solutions. In the grand scheme of things we may be a minority, but I don't think we're insignificant.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
Well there are other hardware platforms for kodi that handle 4k/hevc.
Yep, I'm keeping my eye open for the Q5 Pro.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Omega + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ MeLE N5105 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
The funny thing is H.265 HEVC to make the file size smaller ...

And at the same time, HDD's are getting Bigger and Cheaper ..

go figure Confused

Happy to stay with H.264 for Maximum Compatibility and Playability with all my Media Devices
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pi2 owners upgrading?1