v15 Crashes after update of kodi-pvr-hts
I’m using kodi from offical team xbmc ppa for ubuntu 14.04 64bit.

Yesterday (04.03.16) “kodi-pvr-hts” was updated to version 2.2.14-1.
kodi & kodi-bin fortunately were hold back on 15.2, so didn’t update to v.16.

The result of that "mixed" package management is, that kodi now always *crashes* at startup with

“*** Error in `/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin’: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00007f45f80029c0 ***
Aborted (core dumped)”

Sorry, folks, but that simply suckz a lot Angry … Although I like rolling releases, but since every new main version kodi breaks a lot of stuff and is in most cases unusable:

Please stop that and change package management to fixed versions ! Better would be ppa's for last 2 version, now isengard and jarvis ..
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
after removing kodi "stable" ppa (https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ubuntu/ppa) and kodi installation
and switching to
ppa to "old-stable" (https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...u/kodi-old)
it works again .. kodi-pvr-hts v 2.1.18

Hope "old-stable" won't change next days ..
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
UNCHAINED Demo Group
(2016-03-05, 11:16)LastCoder Wrote: I’m using kodi from offical team xbmc ppa for ubuntu 14.04 64bit.

Yesterday (04.03.16) “kodi-pvr-hts” was updated to version 2.2.14-1.
kodi & kodi-bin fortunately were hold back on 15.2, so didn’t update to v.16.

The result of that "mixed" package management is, that kodi now always *crashes* at startup with

“*** Error in `/usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin’: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x00007f45f80029c0 ***
Aborted (core dumped)”

Sorry, folks, but that simply suckz a lot Angry … Although I like rolling releases, but since every new main version kodi breaks a lot of stuff and is in most cases unusable:

Please stop that and change package management to fixed versions ! Better would be ppa's for last 2 version, now isengard and jarvis ..
there are no mixed versions. if you have held packages, you didn't run apt-get dist-upgrade.
that's right, I didn't perform an "dist-upgrade" since I didn't want neither the hot fresh kodi version nor hot fresh new kernels Wink ...

I didn't know, that the "stable ppa" is rolling release ..

Again, I would suggest not to use rolling release principle. Kodi team simply changes too much under the hood in every new major release, a lot of stuff like addons and skins break every major version change. And lot of bug fixing is always needed, so I start using new version some bug fixing versions later ..

I guess it would be better to use - like most linux distributions do - separated version ppas - like stable and old-stable, but in that case "jarvis" and "isengard" and to abandon the former (now Helix) version. .

Greetz

LCS
UNCHAINED Demo Group
no idea what you are talking about. There is no rolling release at all. Kodi depends on quite a lot of ubuntu packages and those have certain depends as well. Our packages are built against what is available in ubuntu at the time of build. To use the binaries you need those libs, sometimes in the exact matching version.

You're welcome to build your own packages though.
I'd suggest reverting back to an earlier version from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...u/kodi-old

... and then using sudo apt-mark hold <package> to lock Kodi and the other packages.

EDIT

You've already reverted, so ignore me on that. But the "hold" might still be relevant - I have 15.2 on hold on my system until OpenELEC catches up as well, so I don't bork my mysql setup too much.
(2016-03-06, 10:46)wsnipex Wrote: no idea what you are talking about. There is no rolling release at all. Kodi depends on quite a lot of ubuntu packages and those have certain depends as well. Our packages are built against what is available in ubuntu at the time of build. To use the binaries you need those libs, sometimes in the exact matching version.

You're welcome to build your own packages though.

"rolling release" only in case of Kodi and all it's depending libs self Rolleyes that are build for a special ubuntu version - if you release a new major version like v16 a lot of modules listed in the ppa are build to work with the newest kodi version - that is what package maintainer would call "rolling release". That's why an updated kodi-pvr-hts library won't work any longer with kodi isengard, since it's build against kodi jarvis !

I just suggested to release and build new major versions with all dependencies under a new name scheme (not to build something new) Rolleyes:

Atm you use: /ppa for stable, /unstable and nightly (and old-stable) - (http://kodi.wiki/view/Official_Ubuntu_PPA)

It's like debians alternative name scheme: you could use debian stable, unstable and testing (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStable).

But in most cases people prefer: debian "name of release" (for example: debian "jessie"), to get only the packages meant for a special version to avoid conflicts.

My idea was just to rename the ppa's:

ppa:team-xbmc/jarvis and ppa:team-xbmc/isengard
instead of ppa:team-xbmc/stable and ppa:team-xbmc/old-stable

So long

LCS
UNCHAINED Demo Group
way too much work.

edit: and it won't change the fact that you'll have to do a dist-upgrade from time to time if you want a new kodi version.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashes after update of kodi-pvr-hts0