• 6(current)
[Release] Meta video search addon
It's a very useful add on, but at the same time very complex for the general user.

It would be nice if the user could "create a player" just by browsing the add on section
(there he can select any search from any add on).
(2016-03-15, 14:07)maxliefkes Wrote: The possibilities of meta are endless. I know you've only just started developing this, but here's an idea that struck me last night. Excuse any ignorance due to the fact that i've never written a line of code in my life.

Meta PVR / Meta LIVE

- A PVR live TV guide (borrowing from FTV guide etc) where launching a channel triggers a meta search of live TV video add-ons.
- Same principle as meta where players can be written for each video add-on
- Not sure how channel matching would be done. By name? I think most live tv video add-ons list channels with correct name?
- Additional idea: Upon opening Meta Live, it begins building cached meta results for all enabled channels sequentially in the background in order to enable speedy channel switching. Priority given to any user selected channel in the cacheing queue. Would possibily need some way of preventing CPU overload (perhaps the cacheing could be paused while navigating channels, and resumed during playback)

Nice idea! Please allow me to think about it from a developer perspective. For me the goal would be to allow Meta to be flexible enough to add such functionality by simply writing the correct players. The pieces missing are: (1) allow a free form search in players (i.e., add a search entry to the player object, similar to the current tvshows and movies properties but with available parameters only from the currently selected listitem itself as provided by Kodi). (2) extend content browser to list channels.

As for (1), it would be a great addition to Meta and would also allow global searching using free text by the user as a bonus. The details still need to be though of because it isn't as simple as it sounds.

As for (2), I don't want to maintain the code to display FTV guide myself. Instead, if another addon exists that already displays this guide in a standard view (i.e., one that allows me getting the data of the selected item + allows context menu extension) then we can add a context menu item to play with Meta. If no such addon exists then someone will need to write one or modify the existing one in the following way - I will add a plugin:// endpoint in meta to activate a Meta search so the addon developer could simply set the action of each guide item to point to that endpoint (or add a context menu item to do that).

@AnalyzeQ - Seriously, won't happen.
@metate - cheers! keep doing what you're doing it's much appreciated.

One aesthetic consideration: at the moment meta displays a percentage for search progress. I wonder if fractions would look better: 1/5, 2/5 etc. Pretty minor detail I know.
I love the idea that people can write custom players. For me the trakt integration of the movie and tv show collections from trakt would make this addon absolutely perfect!!! Keep up the great work. Love to see where this goes.
I originally planned to re-write the library integration code and only then release an update but since it takes too long I decided to push the update to 1.0.6 now with minor changes and fixes. Please report any bugs because I didn't test it well enough.

Notable changes:
1. fanart in background to hide the view changes in the background (will make this optional in the next release)
2. Additional player parameters - now meta allows replacing whitespaces with +, -, %2520 (translates to %20 [= whitespace] by Python's unquote), %252B (translates to %2B [=+] by Python's unquote). Keep in mind that on links whitespaces are replaced by %20 anyway (as always).

Edit: improved library integratation code and full trakt support will be the focus of the next major release. This may take a while so please be patient until it's ready. Until then no other features will be added but please keep reporting any encountered bugs.
Super weird bug, Lucifer doesn't pull up USTV VoD but everything else I've tried on Fox does... was working before, nothing weird in the title, but still I get nothing on both my Win10 and OpenELEC machines. I'm leaning towards an issue in USTV VoD that will hopefully be resolved soon but I though I would report it anyway. That is literally the only issue I've found, for a week old addon that is just amazing!

Since people seem to be making requests I would like an "Update Library" button that I can reference in my skin (add to favorites) but as it stands Meta does everything I want it to do. Smile
(2016-03-16, 02:45)metate Wrote: I originally planned to re-write the library integration code and only then release an update but since it takes too long I decided to push the update to 1.0.6 now with minor changes and fixes. Please report any bugs because I didn't test it well enough.

Notable changes:
1. fanart in background to hide the view changes in the background (will make this optional in the next release)
2. Additional player parameters - now meta allows replacing whitespaces with +, -, %2520 (translates to %20 [= whitespace] by Python's unquote), %252B (translates to %2B [=+] by Python's unquote). Keep in mind that on links whitespaces are replaced by %20 anyway (as always).

Edit: improved library integratation code and full trakt support will be the focus of the next major release. This may take a while so please be patient until it's ready. Until then no other features will be added but please keep reporting any encountered bugs.

Sounds really great! So glad to hear that trakt integration is the focus next! I think that is the key to making this the go to addon for most users who want to move away from library integration but want to also be able to utilize different addons for viewing. Really cool stuff!
Meta 1.0.7
Still not a major release but a really nice change if it works for you (as it does for me):
- Attempt to hide keyboard when keyboard steps are used (may not work on all skins)

@loki131 - Sorry, I missed your post. I fixed it on git but it's not included on this release.
(2016-03-16, 17:53)metate Wrote: Meta 1.0.7
Still not a major release but a really nice change if it works for you (as it does for me):
- Attempt to hide keyboard when keyboard steps are used (may not work on all skins)

What skin are you using?

I still see the keyboard on the Aeon Nox Silvo skin.
Details: It attempts to hide the keyboard by opening the numeric keyboard in the background before starting execution. So it should work on skins that set <visible>!Window.IsVisible(numericinput)</visible> in DialogKeyboard.xml but don't care about numericinput in DialogSelect.xml.

Since it's skin dependent I pushed an update that makes this off by default.
You may try enabling it in advanced settings to see if it works on your skin.

Tested working: Confluence, Estuary, Phenomenal, Transparency!, Rapier.
Tested not working: Titan, Aeon Nox
keyboard hiding seems to work on fTV skin mod
Really loving this addon.
For me two things would make this very close to perfect:
1 support for music & musicvideos
2 option to replace whitespaces with underscores
But even without those two things this is allready in my top 3 kodi addons of all time, keep up the excellent work.
(2016-03-16, 22:15)Quihico Wrote: Really loving this addon.
For me two things would make this very close to perfect:
1 support for music & musicvideos
2 option to replace whitespaces with underscores
But even without those two things this is allready in my top 3 kodi addons of all time, keep up the excellent work.

It's doing work closely to what your mod for extendedinfo does
The weekly reminder:
Do NOT talk about piracy or request support for adding any new meta-players (including legal ones until the forum mods say otherwise).

Another bugfix release will be out tomorrow fixing several bugs I discovered lately.
@Quihico
Requesting addon features here is fine but please also open an issue on GitHub with the enhancement label or otherwise it will be forgotten. Additionally keep in mind that most features won't be implemented at least until trakt integration is completed. The second request would - I already implemented something to make it more generic.
A mod says otherwise, at least on a trial basis.

If requests for non-legal ones are made, please use the report button to alert us to them.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Release] Meta video search addon3