Update Library should also clean up the library
I do not know why Kodi separates Clean Library and Update Library. The "Update Library" should add new movies to the library and delete the entries which are no longer exist. Now I have to go to setting to clean the library to remove the dead entries and then update library to add new entries, which is inconvenient.

Please combine two functions into one.
You can do that via advanedsettings.xml, if you dont already have one, create one in your userdata folder with the following contents.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>
If a library is pointing towards a usb drive that isn't connected - or indeed if you can't connect to a source for whatever reason - 'update library' would presumably nuke those entries if it also cleaned. Cue a squillion forum posts.
Separating the functions being the default behaviour makes sense.
^^^ that is indeed the reason for defaulting to off.
(2016-03-21, 14:31)trogggy Wrote: If a library is pointing towards a usb drive that isn't connected - or indeed if you can't connect to a source for whatever reason - 'update library' would presumably nuke those entries if it also cleaned. Cue a squillion forum posts.

Ok, it might be the consideration, but why cannot be made update library smarter i.e. excluding USB/remote server case?
(2016-03-21, 14:08)helta Wrote: You can do that via advanedsettings.xml, if you dont already have one, create one in your userdata folder with the following contents.

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>
</advancedsettings>

Thank you. Never know this
(2016-03-21, 16:35)newnews Wrote:
(2016-03-21, 14:31)trogggy Wrote: If a library is pointing towards a usb drive that isn't connected - or indeed if you can't connect to a source for whatever reason - 'update library' would presumably nuke those entries if it also cleaned. Cue a squillion forum posts.

Ok, it might be the consideration, but why cannot be made update library smarter i.e. excluding USB/remote server case?
I believe the usual response is 'patches welcome.'

Seriously - it works, it's not broken, there's an advanced option that does what you want.
It would be 'fixed' if a dev (or someone else with the requisite skills / knowledge) was interested / submitted a patch / it was accepted.
Personally I think it's fine as it is, but I'll take what I'm given.
Yes checking if the external device is online and only cleaning if it is would be an easy way to get around that behavior.
IMO, the as.xml tag should now just be an option in the GUI, since we have "expert settings" and descriptions that can warn a user about the effects.
I had a roommate with a Kodi box and who stored stuff on my server who set this up.

'WHERE DID HALF OF MY LIBRARY GO?'
'You updated the library, which you set to also clean the library, while my server was down. That's why you had to manually set it to do that in the first place.'
'That's a STUPID DESIGN!'
'I warned you. o.o'
He must have chosen "Remove" when asked whether to keep or remove media from unavailable sources.
(2016-03-26, 17:52)menakite Wrote: He must have chosen "Remove" when asked whether to keep or remove media from unavailable sources.

Kodi couldn't detect it quite right. This particular machine was XBMCBuntu and the network drives were mounted as drives in the OS, so Kodi wasn't accessing network locations, it was accessing mount points, but those mount points were network shares to the OS. So Kodi didn't correctly see that the sources had disconnected or something like that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update Library should also clean up the library0