Video scaling method confusion
I have Kodi 16.0 configured with DXVA2 hardware acceleration enabled and rendering method set to Auto Detect. I have <dxvaallowhqscaling>true</dxvaallowhqscaling> set in advancedsettings.xml. My screen resolution is 1920x1080.

When I play back videos, Video Scaling Method in the OSD always defaults to Bicubic regardless of whether I'm playing SD or HD content.

Questions:

1. Why does it default to Bicubic if better scaling methods are available?

2. Given my configuration, what does Auto scaling method really mean in this case?

3. Since DXVA HW acceleration is enabled, why doesn't video scaling method default to DXVA too?

4. Is there a way to set the default video scaling method for ALL videos (as a global setting) instead of having to change it for every video? Having to manually set it every time kind of defeats the usefulness of the feature, IMHO.
Anyone? Bueller?
bring up the video settings while playing a video, set what you want, scroll to bottom of that menu, set as default for all media
(2016-03-24, 11:56)Madmuhfuh Wrote: bring up the video settings while playing a video, set what you want, scroll to bottom of that menu, set as default for all media
Ok, I feel embarrassed now - I can't believe I never noticed that option! Thank you!

Well, that answers #1 and #4. Anyone know the answers to #2 and #3?
Dont use auto just set it to what you want then you dont need to care what it means? Smile
The confusion is understandable. In my very humble and respectful opinion I think these settings are still a mess.

Scaling options under Acceleration are counterintuitive. Not being able to set up a default scaling algorithm from Settings but having to do so during video playback and then saving it to apply to all media is counterintuitive as well.

Furthermore, when selecting the "Auto" option there's no way to check what algorithm Kodi is using.

Also, setting <dxvaallowhqscaling>true</dxvaallowhqscaling> isn't clear what is it supposed to be doing as, again, there's no indication anywhere on the OSD what's happening with video scaling.

Here you can find some more info: http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#OSD_video_settings (you can expand the video scaling section to read some details). But I don't see any mention of what dxvaallowhqscaling does, as there's not even mention for the DXVA scaling option, let alone what the HQscaling might do with video to be scaled.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Auto i would think selects what kodi thinks is best for your setup but if you KNOW the settings you want why choose it or care what it chooses?
Some info here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2292969 regarding how scaling works.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I opened this: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=266325
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video scaling method confusion0