• 43(current)
Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
@OlivierQC, maybe TV didn't detect correct processing (HDR/extendend gamut). Do you have an Info command on TV that shows if your TV is in HDR mode?
You could also try these gradient clips: AVSForum
You could try to disable Imprex Engine, but first you have to be sure that even 8bit gradients are ok (on my q5 only with Imprex disabled I have good gradients).

It's not to blame anyone, one buddy with Pioneer bluray has chroma/RGB check failed when processing is activated but he likes more than standard image/no processing.
Hello Hansolo,

when i play Sony Camp with internal player Sony, there is no problem, it is only with the q10 pro, and the others demo 4k HDR work well with the himedia..very strange.

i do not use imprex engine v2

this evening i will try gradient clips,

thanks Hansolo
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

Are you seeing the banding issue w/the Sony 'Camp' clip w/nVidia Shield as well? I can test, but not until later today.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
no i do not try on the shield tv, it is in the basement (the children's playroom)

this evening:

i will try ''Sony Camp 4K HDR' and NO HDR'' on Nvidia shield tv.

i will try ''Sony Camp 4K NO HDR'' on my Q10 pro
Sony XBR65x930c, Onkyo tx-nr656, Focal Dome 7.1, Zidoo X20PRO, Egreat A11, Apple TV 4K/infuse PRO.

One other test may be to use SDR on Q10 Pro and test the clip... I'm just wondering if (1) the banding is happening just in HDR mode, and (2) if it's present in another 4K player (i.e. Shield).
My HT
ok i will do that this evening boss Wink

i will try ''Sony Camp 4K HDR' and NO HDR'' with the Nvidia shield tv.

i will try ''Sony Camp 4K NO HDR'' and ''Sony Camp 4K HDR'' video output SDR with the Q10 pro

Hi All,

I'd like to buy a media player so I have started to read AVS Forum and Kodi Forum 3 weeks ago to find for me the best player. But I cannot see the light in the tunnel...I lost my mind...:-)
My conclusion: new player came out with bugs and pre-alfa version softwares so you should wait months to use all of functions and can use stable. Old stable player cannot play 4k datas so long term (2-3 years) not good to buy an older techology (or not available e.g. Popcorn A410 pro, I have red good opinions about this).

I'd like to play generally 2d 1080p mkv files with external srt files, some times mkv 3d movies, 4k is a nice to have option because of future, jukebox would be also nice.

I have a Panasonic PT-AT 6000 3D projector and a Marantz SR 4002 and actually I play the files from my Nas with my Asus Media Pro player. (Asus conected to Marantz with Hdmi cable).
The most important is for me the PQ because of 100" screen size and stable work.

Could you suggest a media player for me?

Thanks in advance for your feed back and for any opinions. (and sorry because of my English).
(2016-06-01, 23:04)nadtom Wrote: I'd like to play generally 2d 1080p mkv files with external srt files, some times mkv 3d movies, 4k is a nice to have option because of future, jukebox would be also nice.
What kind of "mkv 3d movies"? Full MVC 3D or SBS/TAB type? If latter, get nVidia Shield. If former, HiMedia Q10 Pro. Yes, Q10 Pro has some issues, but major or nagging ones should be fixed by Fall/Autumn I think.
My HT
(2016-06-01, 23:12)hdmkv Wrote:
(2016-06-01, 23:04)nadtom Wrote: I'd like to play generally 2d 1080p mkv files with external srt files, some times mkv 3d movies, 4k is a nice to have option because of future, jukebox would be also nice.
What kind of "mkv 3d movies"? Full MVC 3D or SBS/TAB type? If latter, get nVidia Shield. If former, HiMedia Q10 Pro. Yes, Q10 Pro has some issues, but major or nagging ones should be fixed by Fall/Autumn I think.
I played until today only SBS/TAB types 3D movies. I must say I don't know exactly what is the full MVC 3D format.

You mentioned earlier the Intel Nuc player as your favorit if I good remember. It is not better than nVidia?
Full MVC 3D is exactly as what's on disc w/o any re-encoding. Full explanation here.

Re: Intel NUC, reason many of us like it is because it does full MVC 3D, HD audio and proper framerates, all from within Kodi. Some Intel h/w can do 4K @ 30fps, some at 60fps, but all to date only at 8-bit. The $650 Skull Canyon does 10-bit, but per AnandTech...
Quote:HEVC 10b hybrid decoding was a bit of a mess - some clips worked OK with heavy CPU usage, while other clips tended to result in a black screen

Upcoming Kaby Lake from Intel will hopefully do 10-bit 4K well, but who knows how well initially. May take a while for Intel to improve performance via driver updates. This probably means well into next year, assuming Kaby Lake comes out Q4 this year as speculated.

There's no such thing as future proof w/HTPC's and media players, but for now and what's available, for full 4K, nVidia Shield or HiMedia Q10 Pro are probably the best bets.
My HT
Smile 
(2016-06-01, 23:49)hdmkv Wrote: Full MVC 3D is exactly as what's on disc w/o any re-encoding. Full explanation here.

Re: Intel NUC, reason many of us like it is because it does full MVC 3D, HD audio and proper framerates, all from within Kodi. Some Intel h/w can do 4K @ 30fps, some at 60fps, but all to date only at 8-bit. The $650 Skull Canyon does 10-bit, but per AnandTech...
Quote:HEVC 10b hybrid decoding was a bit of a mess - some clips worked OK with heavy CPU usage, while other clips tended to result in a black screen

Upcoming Kaby Lake from Intel will hopefully do 10-bit 4K well, but who knows how well initially. May take a while for Intel to improve performance via driver updates. This probably means well into next year, assuming Kaby Lake comes out Q4 this year as speculated.

There's no such thing as future proof w/HTPC's and media players, but for now and what's available, for full 4K, nVidia Shield or HiMedia Q10 Pro are probably the best bets.

Thx for your quick reply and help. Big Grin
I did some tests with Sony Camp 4k HDR/ NO HDR and i made a little video : https://1fichier.com/?4qqv5z40s4

the boxes (shield TV and Q10 pro) are directly connected to my tv (hdmi enhanced)

Q10 pro:

Demo 4K HDR

Video output SDR : no problem, the color gradation is smooth

Video output HDR10/AUTO : the sky seems to be like 8bit gradient/gradient dithering, the High Dynamic Range works well

Demo 4K

Video output HDR10 : no problem the color gradation is smooth

Nvidia Shield TV

Demo 4K HDR

it is less visible but there is the same problem. ( HDMKV if you can try it too with your Vizio TV 4K)

Demo 4K

no problem the color gradation is smooth

--------------------------

CONCLUSION :

i'm not an expert but i think the 4.2.0 10bit not work at all with the Q10 pro, it goes back everytime to 8bit with SDR, HDR10 and auto.

with the internal player Sony, Sony Camp 4K HDR works perfectly.

with another demo 4K HDR ( life of pi, exodus, etc...), i do not have this problem.

have nice evening
Olivier

Just out of curiosity, can we see 3D movie with Q10 pro and a non 3D TV (is there any app work like KMP player on windows ? )
(2016-06-02, 04:29)OlivierQC Wrote: I did some tests with Sony Camp 4k HDR/ NO HDR and i made a little video : https://1fichier.com/?4qqv5z40s4

the boxes (shield TV and Q10 pro) are directly connected to my tv (hdmi enhanced)

Q10 pro:

Demo 4K HDR

Video output HDR10/AUTO : the sky seems to be like 8bit gradient/gradient dithering, the High Dynamic Range works well

Demo 4K

Video output HDR10 : no problem the color gradation is smooth

Nvidia Shield TV

Demo 4K HDR

it is less visible but there is the same problem. ( HDMKV if you can try it too with your Vizio TV 4K)

Demo 4K

no problem the color gradation is smooth

--------------------------

CONCLUSION :

i'm not an expert but i think the 4.2.0 10bit not work at all with the Q10 pro, it goes back everytime to 8bit with SDR, HDR10 and auto.

with the internal player Sony, Sony Camp 4K HDR works perfectly.

with another demo 4K HDR ( life of pi, exodus, etc...), i do not have this problem.

have nice evening
Olivier

Thx Oliver.
Which player present a better PQ, shild TV or Q10 pro (if you play the same file)?
new Auto Mount ShortCut tool for net shared folder
http://www.android-mediaplayer.de/index....#post53401
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8