Mods Please Read - Massive Amount of Spam in the Forums
Im not a Mod here, nor am I an Administrator of this forum or have experience in that regard. Are users meant to administer the forum now? Really, some of your comments (throughout the forum) are just plain unhelpful nickr...

In any case, there appears to be a myriad of different possible solutions or helpful suggestions here:

https://www.google.com/search?as_sitesea...=new+users

Someone with experience and the ability to change something here on the Kodi forums can take a look when they have some time.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Whether helpful or not to you, Nickr posts were true.
They are unpaid volunteers who are moderating (and developing) a free software/forum, they do not owe you anything.
A lot of suggestions were mentioned here that you are dismissing and insisting on them to waste their time to look into solutions for YOUR small issue which can be solved very easily (and more logically) that was offered by Martijn almost 3 weeks ago. Follow threads not forums.
Another one would be, set up an email rule to automatically move emails from forum into a special folder.

I am curious about if there is actually anybody (beside you) over here following forums (specially with the amount of Chinese spam that you don't see and gets deleted, not the piracy ones).
Probably only devs with the hidden forum?

Edit: and since you have already the email rule, expand it to include the names of famous pirate addons (by name in subject or body of email) to automatically delete.
jmh, you're best bet is to create email rules. Doing something like wsnipex said might be possible and might not be, but if it's any more than a simple setting switch (which it probably is, given that it hasn't happened yet), then it's likely not going to happen for several months, and frankly it might never happen. Basically, if requires backend changes, it's down to when one of the backend guys that thinks it's a problem can get around to it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there's a real chance that the most likely way to get something like this accomplished in a reasonable amount of time is to do it yourself. The source code for the forum can be found here. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-forum
@melhemk

I think you have the wrong idea. Ive been around here for quite a while, and I always try to be respectful. Im trying to be helpful here to find a solution to the problem which I have noticed. Maybe Mods don't notice it because they are probably on the forum so much that they don't use email notifications as often.

You will also see that I try to contribute and help others in this forum when and where I can. I never said that anyone 'owes' me anything. This is offensive.

How is it more logical to NOT receive notifications for Forums that users want to follow?
And, what are you talking about in regard to Pirate addons? I never mentioned that.
Also, making a rule to auto delete by username won't really work because these spammers are always new user accounts. By the time a rule is made they have already been blocked and have made a new different user name.
Im not sure if you really even properly understand the situation here...

This is not the problem (or the correct solution). The problem is all these new users being allowed to create hundreds of spam posts per day, and this should be blocked at source without any email notification being sent.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
(2016-04-15, 13:23)natethomas Wrote: jmh, you're best bet is to create email rules.

@Nate: I already have rules setup (and even a separate email address for my forums). See my previous posts. I can maybe try to set a rule to somehow exclude these chinese language spammers if there is some common theme there. I can't exclude by username because the spammers keep creating new accounts Sad

But also from the Kodi side I see a lot of replies about why something cannot be done, instead of why it can. Of all the mods that posted only wsnipex made a suggestion about how to fix this problem at its source, rather than a band aid after the fact that users must apply individually themselves.

In any case, I will see what I can achieve on my side, since your suggestion of 'months, if at all' is somewhat disappointing if it's just a matter of installing a plugin on the MyBB side to help with this.

THANKS anyway Smile
I am sorry if my email came out as offensive, you have to forgive me as English is not my native language.

Also my suggestion regarding the notifications was to deactivate forum subscription and subscribe to threads of interest instead (keep adding threads when you find new ones that interest you).
For the other suggestion, I didn't mean usernames, I meant in the email rules section (depending which software you use) you can create rules based on subject/attachment/body/sender/receiver....etc, so maybe it is worth it to add a new rule for example (if the message subject or body has a word that is the name of one of illegal and banned repos or addons) then move this message to Trash or a folder called SPAM or whatever.

Edit: by the way since I do not receive emails from the forum (didn't subscribe to any thread) does the email contain the content of the first post or only thread title?
I understand what you are saying about rules. I already use rules and all my forum emails (from dozens of forums aside from Kodi) are already auto moved/filed.

Also, why would I want to deactivate notifications? I WANT to be notified, instead of having to do everything manually.

As I already said, I will try to find some common theme in the body of the spam. This is made more difficult by the fact that it's in chinese.
@jmh2002 - You're also addressing it at the wrong people - we just oversee this place and mop up when things like the spammers appear. We can't actually make any "behind the scenes" changes to the board server or software itself.

All things like that are done by certain members of Team Kodi who have responsibility for the board server itself and the administration of it. Personally I always go via ronie, but I'm sure there are others who also have the capability.

If you have suggestions as to how the board's workings itself could be improved, then it's those people who you need to talk to, not we mods.

Personally I'd love to be able to help, but we mods don't actually have the power to make those changes. That said personally I'd love to be able to remove the problem at source and get rid of all these damn spam emails, but that would probably require a genie or similar wish fulfillment device, and I can find better uses for one of those Wink
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
it's been addressed before in the past. to make the appropriate changes the forum software needs to be updated. to do so a few other things need to be take care of first. This is something that OP needs to take care of on his end. Having subscriptions to full on forums is nuts IMO.

maybe pick a few Chinese characters and add them to the rules section in the email client. you will have to be diligent as this is a constant cat and mouse game. it is their job to get past the system.

as an fyi their subject usually has something about a university so try that filter.
(2016-04-15, 16:21)DarrenHill Wrote: @jmh2002 - You're also addressing it at the wrong people - we just oversee this place and mop up when things like the spammers appear. We can't actually make any "behind the scenes" changes to the board server or software itself.

All things like that are done by certain members of Team Kodi who have responsibility for the board server itself and the administration of it. Personally I always go via ronie, but I'm sure there are others who also have the capability.

If you have suggestions as to how the board's workings itself could be improved, then it's those people who you need to talk to, not we mods.

Personally I'd love to be able to help, but we mods don't actually have the power to make those changes. That said personally I'd love to be able to remove the problem at source and get rid of all these damn spam emails, but that would probably require a genie or similar wish fulfillment device, and I can find better uses for one of those Wink

THANKS Darren, you are the first one to actually clear up that point so directly. I'll shoot a PM to ronie and see what his thoughts are. Smile
(2016-04-15, 16:25)bry- Wrote: This is something that OP needs to take care of on his end. Having subscriptions to full on forums is nuts IMO.

Respectfully I disagree. I do this across dozens of forums and I find it to be a great convenience making things more automatic rather than manual. And, its a forum feature after all, to make life easier, preventing the need to manually check on a constant basis every forum thread that I might be interested in.

I dont have issues on any other forums, and I didn't have issues here on the Kodi forum previously either (before these chinese language spam started). Also I don't mind if a few spam notifications slip through the net and I need to delete them myself. It's no big deal. But when it starts to reach more than 200 per day I thought I should report it and see if something could be done on the forum side. That's all Smile
“The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 1982

Give it a break, fix the issue yourself as suggested...
Jmh2002, please let us know what Ronie says. I'm curious to see what the plan, if any, is.

Idok Fire
Truth be told, it is absurd how that bulk spam is handled. It should never be possible for so many messages to be posted so fast from a brand new account, and this is an issue that has been know about for a long time.

I get that there is no one to blame, and that everyone is just a volunteer, but let's not pretend it isn't a problem, or that the solution is to not use subscriptions for forums. I do the same thing myself, but I've just gotten lucky and haven't been hit with this yet.

Some people get upset when you point out problems, even if you're not blaming anyone. Seems pointless to argue when everyone is basically on the same side.
(2016-04-15, 16:54)Silashack Wrote: “The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, 1982

Give it a break, fix the issue yourself as suggested...

yeah cause we all enjoy scrolling through 50 post of first itme user spam every night while reviewing the forums.

This is the website forum issues or suggestions section.Afterall.
Box: Matircom G Box AMLS812
Kodi: SPMC
Skin APPTV
Connection ADSL(11MPS) , Ethernet
Game Systems : Wii, PS3
Cable Provider: WOW! (Wide Open West)
Media servers (windows 10 PC) Mediaportal, Playon, Kodi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mods Please Read - Massive Amount of Spam in the Forums0