MythTV backend with transcoding, Pi 3 or VM?
Hello, I am getting ready to upgrade my main pc to Windows 10. It being an i7 3770, 32gb ram. Once I do, I don't really want to jump through hoops to get WMC on it, since Im really not very happy with many aspects of WMC. So I was considering going to MythTV. I have 2 HdHomeruns, one that does the on the fly transcoding and the other does not. I would like to be able to use all 4 tuners, The exception being that I want to Transcode the mpeg2 stream from my older hdhomerun into a smaller more manageable size, Probably down to SD quality. Could I do this off a Pi 3 or am I better off running MythTV in a VM? Or is it a case where I am missing something and I need to setup a dedicated machine? I'm thinking maybe even at the 1.2ghz the pi3 wouldn't be powerful enough to transcode to streams while providing say live tv and managing schedules and such, however I could be wrong, so I figured I post my question here for you knowledgeable folks.

If it makes a difference, I am talking about just an OTA antenna with about 28 channels. And everything will be dumped over a Gigabit network onto a NAS drive.
So ended up going with a VM. Seems to be running alright, not using as much cpu/memory as I though it would. Pi 3 very well may have worked, but I am happy thus far with the VM setup.
Sorry, just seeing this, been busy the last few weeks working out the kinks in my new setup. I went Pi 3 running the front end, and mythbuntu on an old i3 box dealing with the backend. I couldn't be happier. (never realized how much noise the old "quiet" htpc made in the livingroom until I replaced it with the pi and relegated the backend box to another room.
Right now, I run Mythbuntu for backend on VM, I really want to crack at running it off a pi 3. after seeing that it has a much lighter than I thought, I think that possibly it could run pretty well. but my looking into looks like the setup may be a bit more complicated. I think it would be really cool though if we could run it off a something with foot print and power consumption of the pi.
If you're running your backend on a Pi, I'd have to assume that your storage is most likely USB or on a NAS. The problem with a Pi is that the ethernet is only 100Mb, and it's on a shared bus with the USB; that a bottleneck I wouldn't want to introduce into a networked home theater streaming solution.

100Mbs (or even WiFi) may be acceptable for a client, but I would definitely want more bandwidth for a backend that's streaming to multiple clients.

(Also, while the RPi3 may have a 64-bit armv8 processor, it only runs 32-bit code. A firmware update is needed to fully enable the RPi3's processor, but not timetable has been announced when this might be. If you're looking for a small singleboard arm system that's 64-bit to run your backend, you're better off going with something else that also has GbE—preferably on a separate bus from USB—such as the Odroid C2 or something else similar if Mali or AMLogic is not to your liking.)
rpcameron, Nothing like an injection of reality to dash my hopes. Big Grin LOL
(2016-04-07, 05:05)Traker1001 Wrote: rpcameron, Nothing like an injection of reality to dash my hopes. Big Grin LOL
I nearly made a similar mistake when getting my system laid out ... Hopefully this'll help someone else from going through it.
So, I figured out a solution that was just about as good. I purchased a Dell Inspiron I3050 on ebay. I am running Myth Backend on it with transcoding. 4 tuners, 2 being transcoded and everything being dumped on a NAS, total of 30 channels all OTA. Everything seems to be running amazingly well, almost scary so and the footprint is not much larger than a Pi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV backend with transcoding, Pi 3 or VM?0