• 16(current)
Zap2xml for ATSC in OpenELEC
@rcrh - I had one other thought for zap2xml issue. As a last resort...I usually delete the userdata/addon_data/script.modules.zap2xml folder. Or basically just uninstall the add on and select yes when it asks if you want to delete the user data. Then reinstall and setup again..

If you already did that...I'm not sure why it would be stuck at 3 days. I do agree with @rpcameron - schedules direct is worth $25/yr for great data.
Current Kodi addon projects: zap2epg, sd4tvh and tvh2kodi (tvh config from inside Kodi)
Testing ATSC single and dual tuners on RPi3 and the occasional s905 box
If you like my work you can buy me a coffee!
(2017-06-22, 04:20)edit4ever Wrote: @rcrh - I had one other thought for zap2xml issue. As a last resort...I usually delete the userdata/addon_data/script.modules.zap2xml folder. Or basically just uninstall the add on and select yes when it asks if you want to delete the user data. Then reinstall and setup again..

If you already did that...I'm not sure why it would be stuck at 3 days. I do agree with @rpcameron - schedules direct is worth $25/yr for great data.

I haven't tried uninstalling it. It's been disabled since I got SD working. I'm going to pay the $25. It's just weird to me that SD is going to be the most expensive part of my PVR setup! RoflRofl
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to set up a OpenElec / TVHeadend 4.0 / HDHomerun Connect instruction document that would be easy for anyone to follow. While I've gotten everything set up, I've run into issues getting the EPG working. I have gotten the zap2xml package for OpenElec downloaded and installed (By the way, has anyone else noticed when you're trying to install add-ons in Kodi the new menu scheme makes following older instructions impossible? ) I've doublechecked and Zap2xml.py is downloading correctly. My EPG is still not populating.

So is the malfunction in the HTTP side of tvheadend or in the Kodi side? Do I need to adjust the kodi TvHeadend plugin to point somewhere for XMLTV? Or am I missing something in the http side? On the webpage I've checked "Configuration / Channel/EPG / Channels" and while everything is set to "Auto EPG" I've tried editing the channels and no Channel source is available.

I'm scratching my head here.
BTW: I'm running TvHeadEnd 4.0 instead of 4.2 because I could not get 4.2 to talk to my HDHomerun Connect. The wizard did not product a functional system and modifying everything by hand did not work either. However 4.0 using the same settings did work...

(2017-07-06, 21:23)darkkaplah Wrote: BTW: I'm running TvHeadEnd 4.0 instead of 4.2 because I could not get 4.2 to talk to my HDHomerun Connect. The wizard did not product a functional system and modifying everything by hand did not work either. However 4.0 using the same settings did work...
This is the reason so many tutorials get so many new users to have issues. Please do not create a step-by-step tutorial using outdated software. Everyone suffers, and those who attempt to provide help with those having run into issues because the information provided is no longer valid.

Furthermore, while you may want to help "new" users, you are creating more problems. If you have to use *ELEC, stick to LibreELEC, as OE lags behind in updates. But, if you're going to use Tvheadend, then I'll state here what is I believe the shared opinion from the Tvheadend forums: DO NOT USE Open/LibreELEC as your OS if you are going to use Tvheadend. Updates lag, and system access is severely limited.

For those using ATSC or CableCARDs in the US, the best source for data is Schedules Direct's JSON API, which cannot easily be setup on Open/LibreELEC. For those outside the US, the DVB EIT data is quite good, as is the Freeview grabber shipped with Tvheadend.

But for the sake of everyone, please do not write a new tutorial for new users based upon outdated software!
While I agree that the tvheadend on OE/LE and some others can be a bit of a challenge - some people like the ease of setup of a OE/LE system.

You are also very correct that schedules direct is the best option in North America. I did create a basic schedules direct addon for LE that allows people to get up and running a bit easier on those systems: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/440-tv...1#post3301

I've also just release a tvh configuration addon for kodi that will hopefully help some newbies as well.
Current Kodi addon projects: zap2epg, sd4tvh and tvh2kodi (tvh config from inside Kodi)
(2017-07-06, 22:26)rpcameron Wrote: ...if you're going to use Tvheadend, then I'll state here what is I believe the shared opinion from the Tvheadend forums: DO NOT USE Open/LibreELEC as your OS if you are going to use Tvheadend. Updates lag, and system access is severely limited.

I guess I'm living a charmed life. I ran openELEC & TVHeadend for over a year and just upgraded to LibreELEC & TVHeadend 4.2.2 without any issues (other than switching to schedules direct).
(oh, and I've had the help of great people here like EDIT4EVER)!
(2017-07-06, 22:26)rpcameron Wrote:
(2017-07-06, 21:23)darkkaplah Wrote: BTW: I'm running TvHeadEnd 4.0 instead of 4.2 because I could not get 4.2 to talk to my HDHomerun Connect. The wizard did not product a functional system and modifying everything by hand did not work either. However 4.0 using the same settings did work...
This is the reason so many tutorials get so many new users to have issues. Please do not create a step-by-step tutorial using outdated software. Everyone suffers, and those who attempt to provide help with those having run into issues because the information provided is no longer valid.

Furthermore, while you may want to help "new" users, you are creating more problems. If you have to use *ELEC, stick to LibreELEC, as OE lags behind in updates. But, if you're going to use Tvheadend, then I'll state here what is I believe the shared opinion from the Tvheadend forums: DO NOT USE Open/LibreELEC as your OS if you are going to use Tvheadend. Updates lag, and system access is severely limited.

For those using ATSC or CableCARDs in the US, the best source for data is Schedules Direct's JSON API, which cannot easily be setup on Open/LibreELEC. For those outside the US, the DVB EIT data is quite good, as is the Freeview grabber shipped with Tvheadend.

But for the sake of everyone, please do not write a new tutorial for new users based upon outdated software!

I have to disagree with you here. You need detailed instructions for this setup. The problem people like me are hitting is that you hit a break in the documentation and suddenly you're in a grey area with no assistance. To prevent old documentation from being used to setup new software you need to call out what version of the software this document applies to at the start of the document, and yes you need to keep it up to date. Documentation is part of the process.

I ran into this same issue with NextPVR. It turns out what was omitted from the documentation was a very simple command line call (NextPVR.exe -updateepg) that needed to be set up in the task scheduler. By not capturing that information you convince new users your product is just crap that doesn't work. Knowledgeable support staff at NextPVR's forums missed this step and keep missing this step despite it being the solution to getting the EPG working. In my mind this is a major ding against TvHeadEnd and zap2xml.py (not the main project. That person actually documented the setup very well!) if the process for troubleshooting and setting up the EPG is relegated to asking for help (of which I've yet to find instructions that work for even schedules direct).

Thank you for making my choice clear here. I wound up recommending to people to buy a Lifetime Plex Pass and living without live TV until they get that in order. Setting up this solution should not be a test.
A suggestion...

If you can submit an instruction guide that you all agree on, I am happy to upload to the wiki. Maybe one of you can open a wiki account and ensure the guide remains current?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Greetings all,

I am currently working on setting up a PVR backend on my Raspberry Pi 3. I am running Osmc on the Pi, and using the prepackaged TVHeadend backend with an Xbox one usb TV Tuner (Hauppage 955Q). I have the backend setup as far as it pulls the channels in, and they are accessible to the Frontend. The only thing that I have left to set up is the EPG.

I am trying to use Edit4ever's Zap2xml addon to pull the EPG data in, but it isn't working. I am using the 0.6.5 version of the addon. I think I have the addon set up, but when I hit run, it tells me that the addon is supposed to be run by TVHeadend. I've done as much of the configuration as I can for TVHeadend, but there isn't any xml data present to direct it to.

Please help me find what I am missing. I apologize if this is a simple solution, I am not very knowledgeable with regards to Linux so it may be something simple.

Thanks!
Happy to help. First - go ahead and get the latest version of the addon: https://github.com/edit4ever/script.modu...l/releases and install. Leave the settings set to default for now (don't enable xtra details or icons or increase the number of days)

Next - make sure you have created the account on the zap2it website andsaved your favorite channels and "show 6 hour grid" in the preferences for your account.

Once you do that - make sure the zap2xml grabber is enabled in the tvheadend web interface under CONFIGURATION > CHANNEL/EPG > EPG GRABBERS (or you can download my tvh2kodi addon to work from kodi here https://github.com/edit4ever/script.modu...i/releases)

If you don't see the grabber there - reboot.

Then enable the grabber and select "re-run internal grabbers" - you should see it run in the log window in the bottom of the tvheadend interface. At this point it will only download the list of channels. You should see that update in that log window.

When that is complete - you can now go to the CONFIGURATION > CHANNEL/EPG > CHANNELS tab in the tvh web interface and select an epg source for each channel. (this tells tvh what epg data to use for each channel) - make sure you hit save in the tvh window.

Once you've done that - once again re-run the internal epg grabber. This should start the download of the epg data. You should see the log window update in a few minutes. When complete - you will have epg data in the tvh web epg window - but will likely need to reboot kodi for it to show up there.

Once you have data - you can now go and change your options.

Let me know if that works!
(2017-07-18, 16:31)edit4ever Wrote: Happy to help. First - go ahead and get the latest version of the addon: https://github.com/edit4ever/script.modu...l/releases and install. Leave the settings set to default for now (don't enable xtra details or icons or increase the number of days)

Next - make sure you have created the account on the zap2it website andsaved your favorite channels and "show 6 hour grid" in the preferences for your account.

Once you do that - make sure the zap2xml grabber is enabled in the tvheadend web interface under CONFIGURATION > CHANNEL/EPG > EPG GRABBERS (or you can download my tvh2kodi addon to work from kodi here https://github.com/edit4ever/script.modu...i/releases)

If you don't see the grabber there - reboot.

Then enable the grabber and select "re-run internal grabbers" - you should see it run in the log window in the bottom of the tvheadend interface. At this point it will only download the list of channels. You should see that update in that log window.

When that is complete - you can now go to the CONFIGURATION > CHANNEL/EPG > CHANNELS tab in the tvh web interface and select an epg source for each channel. (this tells tvh what epg data to use for each channel) - make sure you hit save in the tvh window.

Once you've done that - once again re-run the internal epg grabber. This should start the download of the epg data. You should see the log window update in a few minutes. When complete - you will have epg data in the tvh web epg window - but will likely need to reboot kodi for it to show up there.

Once you have data - you can now go and change your options.

Let me know if that works!

Awesome! Thank you, that is very helpful. I will work on that when I get home from work if the fiance doesn't dominate my time. Wink I'll update once I get a chance to try it.
Edit4ever,

I installed the latest version from your post here (0.7.1). When I initially went to configure the add on and add my log in information for zap2xml, my email and password were already present. At first I left this, and moved to the web interface for tvheadend. I went to the EPG Grabber section to try to add zap2xml, but it wasn't there. I tried restarting, nothing.

I went in and deleted the zap2xml addon, and then found the addon data in the system files and deleted that. I reinstalled the 0.7.1 version of the addon, and this time the username and password were not yet present. I put my information in, and rebooted, still nothing on TVHeadend.

I tried installing the TVHeadend Setup for Kodi, I went to EPG Grabber Configuration, but when I click on that, I get a message saying: "Tvheadend Setup for Kodi error check the log for more information." I noticed that at the bottom it has an option where I specify the IP address for the Tvheadend Backend. It is set to: XXX.XXX.XX.XX:9981, which is what my pi's IP address was yesterday, but today the IP address is XXX.XX.XX.XX7:9981. I don't know if this is part of the issue. I'm assuming at some point I need to set the Pi to a static IP address anyways.

I was going to pull the log that the error message mentions, but I cannot figure out where it is located.

Thanks
Have you installed the tvheadend pvr client addon yet? It should pull the info form there.
I also want to check to make sure you are installing the zap2xml addon on the pi - you're not trying to run it on a different kodi installation?
BTW - it's not an issue when you install the newer version that it keeps your previous settings on an addon. It's meant to do that.

I normally run all of this on LibreELEC - if you're using a different OS (like OSMC) it could be that the paths aren't compatible. I haven't really done any testing on other OSs and haven't gotten much feedback to know if there are issues.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zap2xml for ATSC in OpenELEC4