Win [QUESTION]Kodi as UWP app for Windows 10 devices?
Hey!

Project Centennial from Microsoft is officially released. It is meant for developers to convert desktop programs (.msi, .exe) to UWP apps. Will it be now possible to convert Kodi in such form?
I certainly hope not... All those apps and the app store are garbage in my opinion. Seems like MS is try every day to be more like apple.

Kodi works perfectly fine as is on windows. Wasting developer time on useless things like this is pointless.
Advantage is that it will run on Xbox One as well.
(2016-04-08, 16:51)wheemer Wrote: I certainly hope not... All those apps and the app store are garbage in my opinion. Seems like MS is try every day to be more like apple.

Kodi works perfectly fine as is on windows. Wasting developer time on useless things like this is pointless.

The competitors are already there... Plex even dropped support for the Win32 app to focus on the new Media Player. And Emby has a UWP app, too. Will Kodi step up to the game?

Either way, it won't be easy to "convert" because Kodi is a behemoth of a project. Probably better to rewrite if going the UWP route.
It's simply not possible to port an app like Kodi due to the restrictions Microsoft place on Windows store apps. It's easy for the likes of Plex & Emby as their architecture is totally different in that they have a client/server model, where the server application (which is not a UWP app for the same reasons we can not be one) does the heavy work, and the client apps are only a lightweight interface to the server.

The only long term solution would a new lightweight Kodi client that would require a normal Kodi install on the network to operate in a similar client/server relationship to Plex/Emby, however that would require transcoding capabilities we don't currently have. Something like this http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=168296 expended to all media types would how a Kodi UWP app could work.
my understanding was uwp didnt have to use the msft store, so whatever restrictions they apply to apps there can be ignored.
All UWP apps run in a sandbox and have limited access to the system so it's simply not possible to port a complex app like Kodi with all it's dependancies to the UWP platform.

The recent Tomb Raider UWA release has hightlighted some of the reasons why we couldn't go to the UWP see http://www.howtogeek.com/243012/why-you-...ows-store/ and http://www.pcgamer.com/why-pc-games-shou...rsal-apps/
those articles dont make it clear to me why kodi would not work well as a uwp.

is it the interlopability? all the other issues i dont see how they affect kodi. maybe the windows store limitations if that wasnt already debunked and confirmed not necessary to use windows store..
Could you live without hw acceleration?

Edit: That at least should be possible - no idea howto get our ffmpeg in there, though.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-04-13, 08:41)MrMario64 Wrote: Advantage is that it will run on Xbox One as well.

Kodi will never be on Xbox One (with addons). Try to be at least a little realistic.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
i dont have idea about the complexity of kodi but it will be nice to have kodi on uwp list. there is a news VLC is going to come up with uwp app. i have a feeling there should be some solution for kodi as well. i hope kodi dev team will come with brilliant solution for kodi uwp app
(2016-04-20, 21:56)danjames92 Wrote:
(2016-04-13, 08:41)MrMario64 Wrote: Advantage is that it will run on Xbox One as well.

Kodi will never be on Xbox One (with addons). Try to be at least a little realistic.

Why not? What's unrealistic about a universal app not being on all platforms?
(2016-04-08, 16:51)wheemer Wrote: I certainly hope not... All those apps and the app store are garbage in my opinion. Seems like MS is try every day to be more like apple.
Kodi works perfectly fine as is on windows.

Anyone here read about Project Centennial before commenting (link in first post)?
This is just container for existing Classic Windows applications. Nothing has to be rewritten to UWP.
19$ for Store Account is a problem? I think donate action for Store Account could resolve this in a hour.

Or you're MS-haters, typical. No because no.

I propose to delist Kodi from Google Play. Apk file from Kodi.tv works perfectly fine as is on Android.
I don't understand why the negativity about Windows 10 and UWP apps. What about the android version? UWP apps can access to hardware acceleration, and can be as complex as any win32 app.

What are the real reasons to negate to a UWP version?
To all that say:

-it's easy
-nothing to rewrite
-it will run on all windows based devices
-no fonctionnality will be lost

I have just one thing to tell: why don't you pick up the actual Kodi installer and try to make it work as uwp?

It seems that you have all documentation about it...

And think about that: VLC may have come as UWP but it has lost a lot of fonctionality in the process (no CD, no DVD, No Blu-Ray, no playback of some media type, ...)
Moanbag is in da place!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[QUESTION]Kodi as UWP app for Windows 10 devices?0