Idea for h/w sub-forum for AVR's, speakers & displays
Question 
As AVR's, speakers and displays come up very often in h/w discussions about Kodi, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a single subforum as a catch-all for them?

In similar vein as the 'Peripherals' sub-forum, they're obviously not Kodi h/w in themselves, but just as (or actually more) important components in how Kodi h/w render A/V.

What are everyone's thoughts on this, and obviously more so, what do Kodi team members, mods think?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Good idea, But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: What about the Hardware Showcase Session
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
How about the avsforum as that's dedicated for that
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-04-20, 19:57)Martijn Wrote: How about the avsforum as that's dedicated for that
I do use AVSForum, but thought it may be useful here from a Kodi perspective. Most users' set-ups there are via Blu-ray players, but here's it's more complex. It's largely via HTPC's, RPi's, and Android boxes that weren't originally designed for video playback (or they've been adapted for this purpose)... so, getting correct video playback in trickier. More complex via Kodi boxes to get correct color space, proper framerates, etc.

AVR's/speakers, I just threw in there, but here too getting right WASAPI audio for bitstreaming for example. For AVR's, ATMOS and DTS:X in particular so as to have conversations like this in threads dedicated for those purposes.

If it's out of scope for Kodi forum, I understand... but, why would 'Peripherals' be in scope and above out? Just trying to understand.

(2016-04-20, 19:54)movie78 Wrote: Good idea, But!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: What about the Hardware Showcase Session

I don't think it was intended for that purpose, at least reading the rules...
(2013-07-11, 19:58)zag Wrote: All posts in this forum must be about your own setup with XBMC.

- 1 Thread per setup
- Please include pics in the first post
- You can use the imgur tag to show multiple screenshots if you want
- Try to include as much information as possible about the hardware and software
- Include a short description of how your setup works
- Include an equipment list if you want
My HT
I agree on OP idea, mostly because I've read many people with handshaking/sync issues and it would be good if users can find TV/Display/AVR combo that works without issues before purchasing.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-04-20, 19:46)hdmkv Wrote: As AVR's, speakers and displays come up very often in h/w discussions about Kodi, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a single subforum as a catch-all for them?

In similar vein as the 'Peripherals' sub-forum, they're obviously not Kodi h/w in themselves, but just as (or actually more) important components in how Kodi h/w render A/V.

What are everyone's thoughts on this, and obviously more so, what do Kodi team members, mods think?

Great idea hdmkv.

The more info and discussion we can have about improving parts of our av systems to get the most out of kodi has to be a good thing.

For example, I just have a 5.1 system, but I was thinking of upgrading to atmos, what avr and speakers would be recommended.

A sub category would be good to separate these discussions from the main kodi hardware discussions,
Sony KDL-46HX853 and Sony STR-DN1050
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 5.0 speaker package
SVS SB2000 Subwoofer
Nvidia shield TV running SPMC
Pi3 running LibreELEC
harmony touch remote control
26GB unRAID server
We already have a peripherals sub forum, use that.

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=254
Okay. I didn't know if type of h/w I mentioned were included, as the description says...
Quote:Talk about peripherals that make your Kodi experience even better, like dongles, adapters, light packs / ambilight, ...
My HT
(2016-04-20, 23:44)zag Wrote: We already have a peripherals sub forum, use that.

http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=254

This. I had assumed that "Peripherals" would cover those things as well, while the root hardware forum would be directed towards more general questions about the actual "box" running Kodi (or maybe about topics that span both, etc etc).
Sounds good, thanks guys Smile.

Maybe modify the sub-forum name to "Home Theater Gear and Peripherals"? Or, "A/V Gear and Peripherals"? Or, "Displays, Audio and Peripherals"?

And change descriptor to "Talk about displays, AVRs and peripherals (like dongles, adapters, light pack, etc.) that make your Kodi experience even better"?

You can see I'm a type 'A' personality right?! Big Grin Wink
My HT

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idea for h/w sub-forum for AVR's, speakers & displays0