Unable to see certain text XBMC Linux version
jmarshall Wrote:Once we get XBMCTex on linux, then T3CH will no longer be needed, and SVN will work as-is.

Thanks for highlighting the fact that you need latest and greatest. The skin engine (and thus skin) goes through numerous changes from time to time Wink

Cheers,
Jonathan

Jm,

What is XBMCTex used for? Why do we need XPR files? We can easily add support for RAR files...

-Yuval
We don't need XPR files, but they do have some nice properties. For a start, the compression used is fast (lzo) and it stores the textures in a native format for d3d. It's also searched case-insensitive, which is nice for skinners as they don't have to be concerned with case when referencing the images.

You'd have to rewrite the texture manager to support rarred or zipped images, and extraction may be slower. My suggestion is if we ditch XPR support on linux (which is fine as long as there's a convertor utility available) then we store the images native to what SDL expects so that no unnecessary swizzling etc. needs to occur.

Otherwise, we can fairly easily adapt XBMCTex to run under linux by removing all the D3D stuff and replacing with SDL. The tex compression stuff in there is unnecessary under linux as all textures are stored in memory as 32bit anyway.

The advantage of keeping with XPR is that the skins are platform independent.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I was wondering why everynow and then I was having to rename the .png siles in the skins directory. I wondered if it was worth mentioning but I sort of assumed that it would sorted out in some easy way.

I'll keep playing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to see certain text XBMC Linux version0