CEC with keyboard, receiver and TV
Hello.

I am trying to figure out if I should buy a CEC adapter for my setup. But I am having trouble finding answers to my questions about it. I would like to control my receiver volume with keyboard + and - and I would like for the tv and receiver to start up and shut down as I start and shut down Kodi

Given that my setup is CEC compatible, are these features possible with CEC? If so, would that be plug and play or what?BlushHuh
Please guys. 79 views and not a single comment?
Well I can partially answer it for my hardware (all cec capable), the short answer is; yes it is.

The long answer is cec is really hit and miss; some hardware works other hardware won't.
My TV (Loewe) goes on and off just fine via CEC, the only catch and lots of tv's are like that; only hdmi port 1 is CEC capable.

As for my Yamaha RX-S600 receiver; whatever I try I cannot get it to work though it is cec capable (it passes on the CEC signal though).
It won't go on/off at the same time and I cannot seem to control my volume.

It also depends on the brands if it's supported, and even what it's called.
This seems a good list which I used while orienting before buying;
http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/Vendor/Support
Even though I used that no love :'(
(2016-04-23, 17:34)Woppie Wrote: Well I can partially answer it for my hardware (all cec capable), the short answer is; yes it is.

Thanks alot for the reply Woppie. Just to be perfectly clear though. If TV and recevier is CEC compatible and "works", the functions I mentioned should be plug and play?

I wouldnt even have to edit any settings for both TV and recevier to turn on and off with kodi?
(2016-04-24, 00:52)plasticfish Wrote:
(2016-04-23, 17:34)Woppie Wrote: Well I can partially answer it for my hardware (all cec capable), the short answer is; yes it is.

Thanks alot for the reply Woppie. Just to be perfectly clear though. If TV and recevier is CEC compatible and "works", the functions I mentioned should be plug and play?

I wouldnt even have to edit any settings for both TV and recevier to turn on and off with kodi?

Well it could be plug and play and just working, but in other cases you will have to enable it.
My Loewe TV does it automatically, I know a few Philips TV's I've tested worked ootb as well, some LG with WebOs needed a setting to be enabled manually.
Also my Yamaha receiver needed manual enabling which was "HDMI Control"... so it can be a bit hard to find out with all these names what it is, the earlier link to the pulse eight site should help you out on most brands.

On the kodi side don't forget to enable what port on the receiver your htpc is connected to (in my case 1, some receivers only support cec on port 1 but I'm in luck). Also don't forget to enable if you got both a tv and receiver connected. If you have it at the standard settings it just says TV and it will only turn on the TV.

This old article gives some nice information + a screenshot; https://kodi.tv/the-usb-cec-adapter-is-a...he-future/
It can be found under settings -> system -> input devices -> peripherals

At any rate once you got it working it's really brilliant! It's much better than a universal remote and a good investment.
Better even, if you combine this with a flirc module like I have you got total control over your setup and can use any remote you like.
Oh and a quick tip; if your htpc takes long to boot into kodi (like mine, 1 minute 15 seconds) you can just put into standby and it will wake up the lot as well Smile
Thanks alot again Whoopie.

I believe that ansers all my question and all the information is useful and appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CEC with keyboard, receiver and TV0