Dim Screens
Thumbs Down 
Why are my Kodi screens so dark? I've cranked the brightness/contrast (br/con) on my monitor, the OS is fine (washed out from over contrast when adjusted for Kodi), but Kodi is like the inside of a dimly lit cave. I found the options in the movie reel icon and increased both br/con to acceptable and set as default for all videos, but the menus and main screen are still so dark they are difficult to read.

First, why change the br/con in the first place? I've got ColorSync setup (been using it for years, since my monitor is used for video productions) and everything is perfect...without using Kodi. Because of Kodi's overly dark screens, my system now has two settings I HAVE to switch betwixt, if I'm going to continue to use Kodi. It seems stupid to have this dimming of the apps screen, esp. when it's set as a default and can't be readily changed. Don't you think we can control the monitor settings we've had since the beginning of broadcast television?
Don't you think that your problem is not a general one which affects everyone in the world? Try playing with the full range / limited range setting in settings -> system -> video.

Just because you have a problem which is annoying doesn't mean that we are idiots who can't even do the easiest things...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
If you'd read my post and gotten the idea, I can brighten the playback. It is the entire menu system THAT DRIVES THE SOFTWARE that is barely visible/usable.

PS - your response actually answers the "it seems stupid", as you couldn't even understand my problem. I understand having the br/con settings, but why in the world would you preset it at 60% instead of 100%? Again, the programmers are making assumptions that just don't make sense. They dim the menu and playback by default because....why?
(2016-04-24, 15:00)ac0mputerguru Wrote: If you'd read my post and gotten the idea, I can brighten the playback. It is the entire menu system THAT DRIVES THE SOFTWARE that is barely visible/usable.

PS - your response actually answers the "it seems stupid", as you couldn't even understand my problem. I understand having the br/con settings, but why in the world would you preset it at 60% instead of 100%? Again, the programmers are making assumptions that just don't make sense. They dim the menu and playback by default because....why?

You're the one making incorrect assumptions. Memphiz understood you perfectly well.

For brightness and contrast, 50 means "no change" (in a manner of speaking). Pushing it to 100% is distorting the picture. Don't do that. Memphiz explained that the first thing to check is the setting in Kodi for full/limited range. No one is dimming anything. Different screens have different color ranges.
(2016-04-24, 15:00)ac0mputerguru Wrote: If you'd read my post and gotten the idea, I can brighten the playback. It is the entire menu system THAT DRIVES THE SOFTWARE that is barely visible/usable.

As Memphiz pointed out, you are the only one having a problem. This would indicate a problem with your system, not the Kodi team. There is a simple solution though. If you're unwilling to try and troubleshoot the problem, just un-install the software. It's not like you paid anything for it or contributed anything to its developement.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
Well, I'm not the only one having this problem. I am supporting several older folks who have chosen Kodi for their home movies and photos, etc. 90% are having this problem, across approximately 10-15 Mac and Windows machines. I've been working on and programming computers since 1982, so I think I know what a programme bug is.

@Memphiz: where is this setting you suggest? There is NOTHING about full/limited range and he, I'm using the advanced settings. If you want to talk down to people, at least make sense.
@wgstarks...NICE customer service...worth the same amount I paid.
Every time you ask for help here, you are rude. Have fun with that.
(2016-04-26, 13:30)ac0mputerguru Wrote: There is NOTHING about full/limited range.
Nobody here is paid. You get what you give. If you treat people with respect they will respond accordingly. The settings you claim don't exist are at Settings>System>Video Output.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
increase to expert level and the setting should be visible ... even to you
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dim Screens0