Test of Pi3B, KODI & USB Optical Disc Successful
Hi guys-

Just wanted to let you know that the Pi3B will apparently run the slim LG GP50 DVD burner (as a disc player) without additional hub power, and at the same time as wifi & keyboard dongles, without breaking a sweat. ( The Foundation's case wouldn't be my first choice, tho.) I will try the Pi 2B soon.

KODI's upconverting gives an pretty acceptable picture on a 28" 1080p Visio using the zoom. Sound OK too. A little setup fussing because discs can be fullscreen, widescreen, or oddball menu'd.

(I have a lot of discs that aren't really worth any extra effort; like say Joy of Painting lessons, but who knows, She Who Must Be Obeyed might want them again someday ... and SWMBO knows how to load discs. Nod

The LG GP50 has Silent Play and M-disc, plus claims to play thru many devices including photoframes. It comes with a raft of Cyberlink burning software, but I didn't install any of it, as it is all for Windows. It worked on Mint using VLC, but I couldn't find the zoom so it didn't fill the screen. U$ 35 or so, usually closeout because USB 2; and seems to require a firmware upgrade for Win10.

The build I used was the OSMC version of KODI, only because it was what was available when the 3B first arrived.
So, what was the question - you seem to be confirming what others of us already know?
I do wonder what PSU you used, as this is often critical
Derek
(2016-05-03, 03:20)CaptSunset Wrote: Just wanted to let you know that the Pi3B will apparently run the slim LG GP50 DVD burner (as a disc player) without additional hub power, and at the same time as wifi & keyboard dongles, without breaking a sweat. ( The Foundation's case wouldn't be my first choice, tho.) I will try the Pi 2B soon.

You've left out a vital bit of information. What PSU were you using?

The Pi doesn't have a specific PSU - so posting about powering external devices is a bit pointless without telling us the power source. Also, AIUI the Pi 3 no longer implements the USB current limiting that the Pi B+ and Pi 2 B used to (where max_usb_current=1 in the config.txt allowed higher current than the 500mA USB standard) as there is no longer a spare GPIO to implement this (as the WiFi/Bluetooth additions reduced the spare numbers of GPIOS available for on-board use)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Test of Pi3B, KODI & USB Optical Disc Successful0