• 7(current)
4K - HTPC selection
Seems that buying parts to get 4k always ends up costing about the same as the Nvidia Shield.

My current 1037u celeron does everything 1080p but 4k is hit and miss.

It's a shame the j3710 doesn't have the right outputs. The GPU has everything just no HDMI 2.0 port.
It seems that Kaby Lake NUC box is not out yet and I need something fast, because I will be arranging my TV set-up in a new appartment and this needs to be purchased and installed in advance (HTPC ODroid C2 + DYI NAS).

Can someone help with that up-to-date DYI NAS (as described in my previous post) best 4K capable setup? Thx.
Are you still going the HP microserver route?

You do realise that a media server needs hardly any CPU and RAM. Server duties are pretty light, unless you want to transcode video for some reason.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am thinking about it, but I am affraid that HP microserver will not be able to run this flawless-server.com (Linux incl. Plex server and other services) and they will have some preinstalled software of their own without an option to flash it or lets say unecessary complicated one.
When I am looking at Nvidia Shield I like it more and more. The price difference is there, but I have a small son and he will soon want to use this stuff (as a reward of course) anyway.

Can someone confirm 4K@60 playback e.g. 5.1 receiver on Nvidia Shield and no issues whatsoever with the current updated framework? There are some mentions of issues in this thread, but Odroid C2 have these as well. Thanks.
Do you really need flawless-server? Even so minimum requirements are Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2.4 GHz or better with at least 2GB RAM, which is pretty low.

Why don't you ask the flawless server people?

Also I see a lot of dead links on their page (like the setup link, yikes!!), and questions in their forum about whether the project is still alive.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Dear All,

Can one please inform and suggest which AMD APU and Intel CPU (with GPU built-in) now support 4K UltraHD fully - HDMI 2.0/a, 10(12)-bit HEVC.265 and VP9 @4K, 4K@30/60p, and perhaps maybe even the HDR10 support. Being HTPC I am looking into mid-wattage processors, not full blown 90W+ ones.

As far as I see, current AMD APU 7-series is only HDMI 1.4a, so maybe then there is Intel option?

I currently have AMD A6-3500 HTPC, running Kodi on Linux, and it definitely cannot run any 4K, so lloking to upgrade.
Hardware|Software: AMD A6-3500, ASRock A75M-ITX, 8GB DDR3-1866, WD Green 2TB | Linux (Kodibuntu)
Hardware|Software: HiMedia Q10 Pro with WD Red 2TB, Samsung KS8000/Denon X1300W/ 5.1.2 | Latest custom firmware

Open Source is Good for You & for the World
I think that I will buy Shield as my HTPC. One reseller just discouraged me from buying Odroid C2 as it simply is not enough to play 4K properly.

Flawless is alive, but he did not update website much.
2160p 10 bit video content on all AMLogic S905 devices is dithered down and output as 8 bit color.
I'm only have issues playing Astra Satellite 2160p50Hz 10bit HEVC TV test clips on them Revision B S905 in the C2.
HardKernel are or will very soon be selling Revision C. S905 C2's, same as the WeTek Hub.

If you need HDR10 2160p Netflix and VP9 2160p YouTube then yes, you need to buy a Shield.

This from the C2 forums is worth reposting:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...15#p153792

Quote:Currently the Shield have no resolution switch (comes with next Android Update). So setting the device to 4K, KODI does the upscaling (Lancos3 Optimised), which is still too soft.) It has frame rate switch, but if it do that, it changes the Color Space to RGB Limited. No fix date confirmed from Nvidia. With the last update they also crashed HW deinterlacing, so nearly everything stutters, looks too soft and color Space is wrong... I am done with the Shield. ;-)
So did that knowledgable reseller, actually test anything or just spin Marketing verbage at you ?

Every device has issues, you just need to work out which features simply must work properly for everyday usage.

So the best option as of today is Nvidia Shield TV, but then it is not a complete open standalone HTPC. Again, how long they will support with updated iro Android itself? Think I will wait for latest APU/CPU announcements (along with latest chipsets supporting HDMI 2.0(a) on mobos) supporting fully 10-bit HEVC/VP9 and 4K@60 with HDR and hope to see that Kodi will have proper support for the Colour Spacings.

"Intel's Kaby Lake-S chips, which will launch as Core i7 and Core i5 in overclocked and non-overclocked versions, will have an updated GPU. They will be HDR capable and a hardware encoder and decoder support for VP9, HEVC 10b codecs.

....... to squeeze in to Kaby Lake are High Dynamic Range (HDR), Wide Color Gamut (Rec.2020) and HDCP 2.2 support. Kaby Lake can now use hardware encode and decode for VP8, HEVC 8b, VP9 and HEVC 10b. Skylake used software encoding and decoding to cope with VP9 and HEVC 10b. Kaby Lake GPU added support for HEVC10-bit decode and VP9 10-bit decode and just like Skylake, it can also support HEVC 8-bit encode/decode and VP8 8-bit encode/decode."

Do the latest announced AMD 7th-gen expected to support all the above!
Hardware|Software: AMD A6-3500, ASRock A75M-ITX, 8GB DDR3-1866, WD Green 2TB | Linux (Kodibuntu)
Hardware|Software: HiMedia Q10 Pro with WD Red 2TB, Samsung KS8000/Denon X1300W/ 5.1.2 | Latest custom firmware

Open Source is Good for You & for the World
> So did that knowledgable reseller, actually test anything or just spin Marketing verbage at you ?
Its the one listed on Odroid website in Slovakia. I have sent him my requirements and he told me that his customers reported Odroid C2 not being enough to play 4K video properly (my main requirement) and he can not therefore recommend it to me. I have asked about whether I should rather buy Nvidia Shield TV and he said yes.

The funny thing is that while I am looking at Nvidia Shield TV Youtube review videos I am starting to hate those lags on streamed games. You know that situation when you need to buy something that allows you to play games in addition to what you really want (4K@60 playback) and it does not do a good job? Especially when I have watched PS4 vs Nvidia Shield TV comparison where those guys played the same game on both. I know that I will not play games that much, but it still bugs me, because of some psychological reasons.I guess that I should focus on what I want and forget the gaming part completely. Not sure if its a good thing to buy another controller as it comes with only one. The same decision needs to be made for basic 16 Gb vs advanced 500 Gb version, but since I will have NAS anyway and external hard drive can be attached to USB 3.0 capable port its rather easy one.

Quote:Currently the Shield have no resolution switch (comes with next Android Update). So setting the device to 4K, KODI does the upscaling (Lancos3 Optimised), which is still too soft.) It has frame rate switch, but if it do that, it changes the Color Space to RGB Limited. No fix date confirmed from Nvidia. With the last update they also crashed HW deinterlacing, so nearly everything stutters, looks too soft and color Space is wrong... I am done with the Shield. ;-)

I guess that another option is to buy 4K TV for my new appartment as I will need one anyway and Odroid C2/Rapsberry Pi 3 as a temporary solution for 1080p playback until Intel Nuc with Kaby Lake cames out, but I still think that I will end up with Nvidia Shield TV. That is because I am affraid that I will not survive 1080p knowing that I have 4K capable TV Big Grin. Also its completely nonsense to buy some non-4K TV now knowing that I will need one soon. Not sure when Kaby Lake should be released and also not sure when these will be available in my country.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K - HTPC selection0