subtitle toggle during video playback
Apologies ahead of time if this has been covered.

I have searched and searched and not found any answers. If I am violating any rules, please let me know. I'll refrain from naming specific builds, so instead I'll just refer to the skins being used. I run Kodi with a specific build that uses Xonfluence for the skin. When watching a TV show or movie, I can pull up the bar that shows play/stop/ff/rw and also for subtitles. When I scroll to subtitles, a small popup shows and I can quickly enable or disable subtitles. Not talking about downloading subtitles, just a blue button that I can turn on/off. Now, here's the tricky part, on a different program that is a "fork" of Kodi, (I'm trying not to offend anyone or get banned Angel ) running a certain build that uses Mimic as a skin, the quick subtitle enabling popup isn't there. My question is this: is this a skin issue or is this because of the Kodi vs. Fork difference? Without running the same skin on both versions to test it, my thoughts are leaning towards the latter.

Again, no offence to anyone by my question. I'm really new at this, trying to absorb as much info as possible and learn. My frustration is when watching a specific program that has certain characters speaking in a made up language and that dialog isn't hardcoded into the video with subtitles, I'd like to be able to toggle on/off what they are saying without having to have subtitles on through the entire thing.
Man, you are asking on the official forum for issues with forks? Go to the fork home and ask there for support.

If you don't have the issue with clean a Kodi installation you won't get support here.

That being said, The buttons that show depend on the skin. So probably your issue starts there.

Anyway, if you have an Audio menu, the options to enable/disable subtitles is usually there.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

(2016-05-17, 22:57)jurrabi Wrote: Man, you are asking on the official forum for issues with forks? Go to the fork home and ask there for support.

If you don't have the issue with clean a Kodi installation you won't get support here.

That being said, The buttons that show depend on the skin. So probably your issue starts there.

Anyway, if you have an Audio menu, the options to enable/disable subtitles is usually there.

understood, it's why I tried to word it very carefully. I tried through other sources, but no response. That said, I use the same skin on Kodi, and you are absolutely correct. It was skin related and it confirmed my suspicions. I was able to find the toggle on/off on the skin. Issue has been resolved.

Yeah, I felt real weary about asking on this forum.....thanks for not slamming me on it Smile
With a forked build, and a skin that doesn't look like it's in the official repository, it's anyone's guess. But taking a guess, I suspect it's in the skin (have you toggled the keyboard 't' ?)
Apologies for the necro, but... I've got a similar issue.

I want a button to toggle subtitles on/off during playback.  After reading a few guides, I tried the following (in a "custom.xml" file, located in ~/userdata/keymaps):
xml:

<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
       <browser_home>activatewindow(videos,tvshowtitles )</browser_home>
       <!-- num pad 9 should toggle subtitles -->
       <numpadnine>ShowSubtitles</numpadnine>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

... and it works - it toggles them on - but it seems to bring my library up, so I need to keep hitting "back" a few times to rid the screen of the library thumbnails (and return to the currently-playing film).

I'm guessing it shouldn't be in <global>... which section refers to currently-playing video...? (I tried <FullScreenVideo> but no joy...)
(2019-12-14, 17:53)Preacher Wrote: Apologies for the necro, but... I've got a similar issue.

.. and I'm an idiot.  Higher up in my config file I've got:

xml:

<key id="61658">activatewindow(videos,tvshowtitles )</key>
Apparently this is NumLock, but is activated upon each of the numpad keypresses, so each time I'm pressing 1, 3, 0... it's also kicking that window in, too.

For what it's worth, I found the following two commands incredibly useful:
xml:

<browser_home>ReloadKeymaps</browser_home>
       <!-- using the * key lower-right for toggling on/off debug mode -->
       <numpadtimes>ToggleDebug</numpadtimes>
  • ReloadKeyMaps means any changes to my XML file could be re-read without a Kodi restart
  • ToggleDebug allowed me to flick on/off debugging.  Flick it on before hitting ReloadKeyMaps to see what errors are shown ("tail -f" on the logfile) when parsing the updated XML.
Hope that's useful to someone. I still can't disable my "Close" key, but got a bit further with custom keypresses.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
subtitle toggle during video playback0