Linux kodi.bin [fileCache] size increase
I have noticed since XBMC 11 that the disk IO on my system has greatly increased. This only happens when watching movies or TV shows from local storage.
Investigating the IO issue with “iotop” I found that when starting a video file that “kodi.bin [fileCache]” starts to fill the video cache with large read blocks of 8Mbs to 15Mbs. When the cache nears full the IO size reduces to 400Kbs to 1100Kbs reads. Some times there may be some minutes of no “kodi.bin [fileCache]” IO. Then IO will start up again and be at a rate between 40Kbs to 400Kbs for the rest of the file. This behaviour put a lot of unnecessary wear and tare on the HD.

Question:

Is there a setting in Mint/Ubuntu Linux or in Kodi addvancesettings.xml that can reduce the frequency of the IO by increasing Disk Read size or set a lower limit for Disk Read.

Hardware:

ASUS M4N78 PRO Motherboard, 4G Ram, OS - WD 500GB, Data - WD Green 4TB, Mint 17.1 Rebeca 64bit, Kodi 16.1

Hardware:
ASUS M4N78 PRO Motherboard, 4G Ram, OS - WD 500GB, Data - WD Green 4TB, Mint 17.1 Rebecaa 64bit, Kodi 16.1
default setting for file cache is RAM only.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi.bin [fileCache] size increase0