Allow user to select between Celcius and Fahrenheit
I've noticed that XBMC just assumes temperature units based on region with no option to use a different unit in a different region. In particular this is bugging me because I have been using Celcius for electronics for as long as I've paid attention to temperatures with them and Fahrenheit readings have no meaning for me until I convert to Celcius. Normally this isn't a problem as on most things like thermometers and temperature reading programs you can just change one setting and you're on Celcius (or Fahrenheit as the case may be.) However, I couldn't even find such an option hidden in the XML files anywhere. It seems the only way I can get it to show Celcius is to change my region to UK (or, well, it or some other region that uses Celcius.) I really want to leave my region setting correct though. Am I correct in guessing that this setting is used to tell games what region and language settings to expect? I don't really want them to try PAL on my NTSC-M only TV just so I can get a useful CPU/GPU temperature readout... Even if that isn't what the setting is used for, I'd still prefer to not have to use an incorrect region setting just to get the desired temperature units.
then modify the code - we like our region wise settings.
and you can modify your region setting as you want from langinfo.xml.
spiff Wrote:and you can modify your region setting as you want from langinfo.xml.
Ah, I missed that since its just in a one letter so didn't show up in my searches (plus I just didn't expect to find it there, figuring the regions were hard coded on stuff like that.)

Quote:we like our region wise settings.
You like having arbitrary limitations applied to you without easy ways of removing those limits? Well, maybe you like it, but what about those less familiar with manually editing files in a setup like this? If you just want it to default to a particular thing, that's easy enough. It could just default to whatever units are standard for the region -- changing the current setting if you change your region I suppose. With that it could still have the option of automatically applying a particular setting for each region while still allowing the user to manually choose what they want without having to dig through XML files.

Anyway, the problem is solved for me for now (until I someday update or reinstall completely and forget about the option, then have to start all over probably.) I just think it could do with a more universal solution is all that I'm saying.
cluttering the gui with settings maybe 0.001% of the users will care about.

sorry mate, no. those few that wants to do changes can edit xml.

to give you an idea; you are the first to ask about this in the about 2.5years since we added this.....
you can switch regions from usa to canada; which will also switch temp scale from Celcius to Fahrenheit and vice versa.
Lightbulb 
Also, if a celcius/fahrenheit option was added to the GUI then we also have to add the option to switch between kilometers and miles per hour and so on for futher localization. We have to draw the line somewhere and that is why we choosen to just let the user switch region and let those regions have different defaults.

Maybe best would just be to add a few more regions for English, such as EU (European Union), etc.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php...tid=581840
Yes it is easy to edit XML file. No problem there.
I have an even more unusual request (or maybe others would support me on that).
What if we had a third value for this setting in addition to C and F: C+F?
If set to this value, program would display temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.
For example "20C/68F".
This request sounds unusual, but nowadays with people moving around much more than before, it is useful.
Imagine a household like mine, where some people like Fahrenheit and some like Celsius. It all depends on where you grew up and not on where you live now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allow user to select between Celcius and Fahrenheit0