• 13(current)
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
(2016-10-08, 23:59)hdmkv Wrote: My Mi Box also doesn't recognize this USB ethernet adapter/hub (but does see a USB stick attached to the hub). The ethernet part did work on Nexus Player. May have to try the one in Lon's review.

Did you reboot the Mi after attaching the hub. On the Nexus Player, I sometimes have to reboot for the ethernet adapter to work.
Hmm, not sure if I did. Will try that, thanks, and do some more tests w/SPMC and WeTek Media Player (Kodi fork). See below...

Updates:
  • Tried soft (long-press 'Power' button and choose 'Reboot') and hard (physical un-plug/re-plug) reboot, and my ethernet adapter/hub remains unrecognized Sad.
  • My Mi unit is now less laggy, 24 hours later. Maybe some background processes were causing bad lags the first 2 hours I tested yesterday. Some lagginess is still persistent however.
  • WeTek Media Player adds no benefits to Mi Box; no different than using official Kodi 16.1.
  • (This may be a silver lining...) As 'Auto switch to best resolution' doesn't react to 23.976, 24, 25, 29.970, etc. (staying at 60.000 for me for all videos), I forced Mi Box to 1080p/24, and when playing 23.976 content, I get a framerate of "23.87" (as my PJ indicates). Granted not perfect "23.97", but if Xiaomi can add auto FPS and fix 23.976, this box may turn out to be useful for us Kodi users.
  • With all HD audio, Mi Box plays as 2.0 PCM. Standard DD and DTS passthrough fine.

watch gallery
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Just got mines today also. Seems ok so far. No lag much. But did get some app crashes with some oddities.

My main thing. I need bitstream passthrough. Sounds like it doesn't work. But maybe later? I like my DTS-HD receiver light to light up. Wish they had a road map.
I don't really see why you'd hook up a USB ethernet to this thing anyways. Usually they'll get configured as fast ethernet since it's USB2, so I'd stick with AC anyways. Granted if you have horrible wifi coverage then sure hook one of these us, or get better wifi's.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
It's not about bandwidth; wifi is far less consistent than ethernet, particularly on the 2.4Ghz band in an urban environment.
We've come a long way from N...
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Hi,

To my canadien friends, did you find the Mi Box in walt mart or bestbuy (ca)?
(2016-10-09, 05:24)timstephens24 Wrote: We've come a long way from N...

Wired is still more reliable and faster then any wireless protocol.

You can't show me a wireless protocol that can achieve the reliability of a wired connection. My mother's laptop disconnects from the wireless router just one floor down directly.
I'm comparing plugging in a USB2 ethernet port to wifi, not dedicated gigabit to wifi. AC is a lot faster and I would say as reliable as a USB ethernet hub that people also try to hook up drives and other things too, decreasing the max bandwidth even more.
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
I am by far no expert but I picked mine up today a couple hours of updates and to me it seem very snappy over a I am stream the .m2ts videos from full bmdv folder rips no issues. Going to let it run a few hours of the big bang blurays and see if it heats up.... so far for the money if it holds up I will say it is awesome I am very pleased.... just need a 128gb USB and I be 100 percent.... BTW I have kodi and spmc on here by having both I had to free up about 2gb of space to get everything running smoothly and starting without doing the first run setup time and time again. Anyone know how to root this box yet?
(2016-10-08, 23:59)hdmkv Wrote: My Mi Box also doesn't recognize this USB ethernet adapter/hub (but does see a USB stick attached to the hub). The ethernet part did work on Nexus Player. May have to try the one in Lon's review.

#fail

My "Anker 3-Port USB 3.0 HUB Gigabit Ethernet Converter" doesn't get recognized either. Here is a link to the Anker adapter on Amazon (which is not supported)

This sucks... the same adapter DOES work on Nexus Player.

I contacted Xiaomi US Customer Support at service.us@xiaomi.com and they said "I understand your concern and would like to inform you that Mi Box only connects to WiFi as of now." Clearly they don't know what they're talking about...

Yes, might need to get the one used in that Lon review video. Here is the link to Amazon page. $17 is better than a kick to the pants

Also, unrelated to ethernet adapter issues, make sure you Uninstall or Disable all the preinstalled apps from the Settings > Apps area.

Pro tip: Disable the "Customization Launcher" app to remove the dumb "Mi Recommends" from leanback home page

If anyone knows where to find the factory image for the Mi Box 4k Android TV, please send a PM.

Cheers
(2016-10-09, 06:58)timstephens24 Wrote: I'm comparing plugging in a USB2 ethernet port to wifi, not dedicated gigabit to wifi. AC is a lot faster and I would say as reliable as a USB ethernet hub that people also try to hook up drives and other things too, decreasing the max bandwidth even more.
No. Bandwidth simply does not matter for streaming local media. 1080p video tops out around 15Mbps; USB2 can real-world handle over 200Mbps. Consistency matters.
NetFlix is only displaying HD no UltraHD nor HDR
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
I just tested mine, and here's what I found (needed to reboot each time I set the resolution - also no HDR for Netflix):
4k2k-60hz = Netflix 4k / No HDR
4k2k-24hz = Netflix 1080p / No HDR
4k2k-smtpe = Netflix 1080p / No HDR / Aspect ratio was screwy

While I was testing this I also tested out the speeds from an ethernet adapter vs 802.11AC and here are the results of three tests (using the Netflix app - I couldn't find a speed test TV app)
USB 3.0 Ethernet adapter: 41.33Mbps / 43.95Mbps / 42.43Mbps
802.11AC: 69.30Mbps / 63.84Mbps / 63.25Mbps

Also I decided to watch an episode of Luke Cage on each connection and with the ethernet USB I'd get some buffering issues (it would drop to 720p/1080p) that didn't happen on AC.

And just to second what @seymourtv said, disable the 'XiaomiLeanbackCustomizer' app.
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Just to add since everyone else's ethernet adapter doesn't work, here's the one I'm using: TP-LINK TL-UE300
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)21